Acute Withdraw Anxiety from short sporadic valium usage?

Nathan33334

Greenlighter
Hey Im prescribed Diazepam or valium 5mg to use on an as needed basis for insomnia. I recently used it somewhat often usually at doses around 2.5mg. Two months ago I stopped it completely and was uncharacteristacly extremely anxious for no reason. I wasn't even taking them every night, depended how busy I was that day. Like there were periods I'd take it for 5 days straight and periods I'd go a week without it. I was using it for about 2 months prior to this 2 month period; but only for sleep I never abused it. The anxiety and rapid heart beat are still there (I take adhd meds and drink coffee; can't function without them) but I know they have got a lot better. I can't believe after that short of a time I could of got that dependent on the drug (I didn't struggle with anxiety before this). This is such a short time I know; I know full out benzo withdraw is way worse, but when will I get better? I know this from my brain chemicals being off from the drug. I'v been through other drug withdrawals before so I'm not being a pussy I hope lol I don't tell anyone about this except my girlfriend, I tried to tough it through without any help but this is way longer then I was expecting. I run and weight lift and sleep well almost everyday. I have a good diet too. Anyone heard of this from such a small and sporadic window of using valium?

benzo WD isnt a joke nor a matter of being a pussy or not
valium has an extremely long half life even though you didnt take it everyday you were still adding to how much you still had in your system
the half life is around 40 to 100 hrs which means if you took 10mg 40 to 100 hrs later you would still have 5mg in your system so if you take into account from the daily to random doses you took
even though the effects of it doesnt last long believe me when i say its still in your system

personally diazepam for sleep is a bad choice something like temazepam wouldve been better because of its short half life
talk to the doc who prescribed you the valium its their job to keep you safe

you might have to taper off and yes dependency can be created in as little as 2 months shit some get into trouble only after a month

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch man with the long half life that all makes sense. Thats a relief its not me. It's not something Ill need to refill anyhow; I have a lot stocked up but i'll only be using it if I absolutely need it after this experience. I wonder why it was prescribed to me for insomnia though; I did think it was weird just from reading about it online. No need to taper I'v come this far and can keep things in check, I don't wanna put it in my system again for a long time tbh. My sleeps have been pretty good recently; I really don't think I'll absolutely need it ever, but I had the worst insomnia two years ago so Ill keep it on hand.

Thanks a bunch man with the long half life that all makes sense. Thats a relief its not me. It's not something Ill need to refill anyhow; I have a lot stocked up but i'll only be using it if I absolutely need it after this experience. I wonder why it was prescribed to me for insomnia though; I did think it was weird just from reading about it online. No need to taper I'v come this far and can keep things in check, I don't wanna put it in my system again for a long time tbh. My sleeps have been pretty good recently; I really don't think I'll absolutely need it ever, but I had the worst insomnia two years ago so Ill keep it on hand.

not sure how you got a script for valium so easily. like you really need to have anxiety issues among other issues before a doc would even consider prescribing that(well where i am anyway). so it makes me wonder why your doc would think it would be ok for insomnia. every doc is diff i guess? if i were you i would toss it and move forward, plenty of other choices when it comes to insomnia. benzos in general can be pure bliss for emergency situations for people with anxiety and panic disorders but they are a double edge sword.

Seems like every drug is a double edged sword. Doctors can be some of the most misguided and messed up "helpers" we can find. That's what this culture offers.