• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Actually Non-Benzodiazepines (Zopiclone)

ontariobuds

Greenlighter
I am not sure if this is in the write place so feel free to move it if it doesn't belong here.

I am prescribed 7.5mg of Zopiclone, I love readingup on medicines that I take or just ones that interest me in general, you know.... the fun ones.

I understand that zopiclone itself is not sold legally in the United States but that its active isomer eszopiclone in the form of Lunesta is available. Does this mean that zopiclone itself is not active? Or is it active when it metabolizes into desmethylzopiclone? I always checkmany sources before forming an opinion on anything but I am having trouble. It just confuses me that eszopiclone is fit for sale in the USA but not in Canada, and zopiclone is fir for sale in Canada but not the USA.

Thanks for any replies.

Zopiclone itself is active. It's the racemat version, meaning that it's 50% S- and 50% R-Zopiclone, but only S-Zopiclone is active. So Zopiclone is half as potent as Eszopiclone (100% S-Zopiclone)

Keep in mind that even though they're referred to as "non-benzos," they are just as powerful at almost the same subreceptors as benzos are.

In some cases, they can be even more addictive. Please tread with caution and treat them with the same respect as you would with the benzos, and take the same precautions to try to avoid physical dependence.

kleinerkiffer, this is where I am confused. Why would they put a non-active racemic form of zopiclone into the tablet?

Why wouldn't they just stick with the active one? I am sure there's a very good reason but I'm at a loss.

- Ontario

kleinerkiffer, this is where I am confused. Why would they put a non-active racemic form of zopiclone into the tablet?

Why wouldn't they just stick with the active one? I am sure there's a very good reason but I'm at a loss.

- Ontario
Well, racemic zopiclone is active, just half as potent as S-Zopiclone
Could be a trick to extend the patent.

So since zopiclone is not a benzo, it's safe to get addicted to it. I won't have seizures or any benzo withdrawal symptoms because its not a benzo?lol

- Ontario

In chemistry you often have a situation where a synthesis results in a racemic mix, and trying to separate the two enantiomers or coming up with a different synthesis route for an "enantiopure" product can be significantly more expensive. At which point the manufacturer says "Oh, just eat 10mg of this racemic mix, it contains 5mg of the active isomer, and the 5mg of inactive isomer won't hurt you".

Also, as kleinerkiffer said, the manufacturer can get a new patent for the enantiopure version once that on the racemic form runs out ("just eat 5mg of this enantiopure product. I know we said that the inactive isomer won't have any negative effect, but do you really want to take the risk? So that's why you should buy our 5 mg enantiopure pills for several times the price of a 10mg racemic generic.")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3657020/
Tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal are all reported with Z-drugs, though this appears to be less severe and with lower incidence than for traditional benzodiazepines in the treatment of insomnia . Withdrawal symptomatology resembles that from benzodiazepines, including insomnia, delirium, craving, anxiety, tremor, palpitations, and rarely, seizures and psychosis.
They aren't that different from benzos, they are more selective and have higher affinities for the GABA-A subunits, but they too act on GABA-A.
Although withdrawal from therapeutic doses of zopiclone and its isomers (i.e. eszopiclone) do not typically present with convulsions and are therefore not considered life-threatening, patients may experience such significant agitation and/or anxiety that they seek emergency medical attention.
Wikipedia
So imo if you've taking it for a long time a taper would be better