Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

actors that irritate you vs. get outta my facial.

I have stayed away from many otherwise promising movies because they starred Tom Cruise.

I have hated everything Jodie Foster has done since Bugsy Malone.

Any actor who's been typecasted to a ridiculous degree.
Even I can act like a neurotic Jew If you gave me half a century to practice.........Mr. Woody Allen.

Jennifer Aniston
Keanu Reeves
Tom Cruise

They can't act. At all. And they're fucking annoying.

Vince Vaughn. He was enough to keep me away from The Internship even with the (few) glowing reviews.

oh man, nothing from the ads of that movie entices me to watch it.

"on the line"
"online?"
"on the line"
"online?"
*fist through tv*

Joe Pantoliano - ? its the Memento douche factor, his voice generally cuts like a knife.
from goonies to matrix, it's his weasel face and voice which make him a great second tier villain.

Billy Bob Thornton, my top actor to have a hate on - he strikes me as a complete fake both offscreen and on.

he was brilliant in u-turn! (but then so was jennifer lopez's arse (i swear that's how i remember her being credited, not her but her arse)).

Just watch Eyes Wide Shut, then you can forget about pretty much every other movie he's been in.

I would probably throw Collateral in as his best movie in the last ten years mainly because he played the bad guy. The Last Samurai was partially saved by awesome photography and battle scenes until he got jiggly with the female lead. Any romantic role he has played since Risky Business just makes my skin crawl.

I don't think that's true. Acting, as I understand it, is all about expressing the genuine. The actors themselves are participating in a fiction, sure, but if their performance lacks a sense of emotional authenticity it seriously detracts from the film. Actors spend their entire careers figuring out how to portray honest emotion in such a way so that the audience can relate to them; if an actor comes across as "fake", the audience loses their sense of immersion. Characters are fake, actors are real - but a good actor can make the audience forget that.
i agree with your point that a good actor can make you forget that but my point stands. acting is, crudely put, pretending to be something the actor is not. by definition it's faking.

alasdair

10470366_ori.jpg

i agree with your point that a good actor can make you forget that but my point stands. acting is, crudely put, pretending to be something the actor is not. by definition it's faking.

alasdair

Again, I don't think that's the case (except for the 'crude' part ;)). There are a million examples, but here is the one that jumped into my mind: in Aguirre, Wrath of God Klaus Kinsky plays a complicated, but quite insane conquistador. Now, it's true that Kinsky himself wasn't a conquistador, but he was complicated and he was definitely insane. An actor must put himself into a role in order to play it convincingly.

An actor can play, let's say, a Baker going through a mid-life crisis - in order the play the role convincingly, the actor must tap into his own emotional memory to really understand the person he's playing. If the actor has never experience such emotions, it's likely he won't play the role as well as someone who has. The fact that he's playing a Baker is completely irrelevant because we don't care about his occupation, we care about his personality and how he deals with conflict - if his personality feels disingenuous, the actor has failed to do his job properly. You need to be 'real' as an actor in order to convey certain (genuine) emotions and ideas - whereas implies 'fake' pure artifice. You can act, yet still embody the person you are portraying.

I realize I'm idealizing the acting process a bit, and many of the things I said are completely irrelevant to the modern Hollywood ethos, but the goal of acting is to be as real as possible in a fictional world. Calling it 'fake' is a bit dismissive. It's like calling WWE 'fake' - the stories and characters are all made up, but those people still take a beating, they still have brutal workout regimens, and they put their lives on the line every time they enter the ring. Fake and Real are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

^ Brand makes me cringe. What a vile human. His entire being is obscene.

Mewes isn't even an actor. Kevin Smith should have stopped after Mallrats. May the Gen X stupidity of Clerks die a shallow death.

I agree on Jodie Foster, I can't believe I've actually watched Contact. The worst thing about is that it has Matthew McConaughey, so basically you get two douches for the price of one.

The only thing Thorton has been in that's decent is Sling Blade, and in that he plays a retard. I rest my case.

The most complete list: http://www.imdb.com/list/amOPhMqu3HY/

Stallone. There is a reason Ive never watched Rambo or Rocky.

^ Thorton was in 'The Man Who Wasn't There', which is an awesome movie. Much better than Sling Blade.

god damn it, "vs." is not an abbreviation for "version". :p
sorry...

ebola

jay doesn't count, he's hardly an actor when he's played only one part, himself.

you know, just like jeff goldblum and robert downey jr