• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Activated Charcoal and Opioids?

DeathIndustrial88

Bluelighter
Hello,
I was thinking about trying some activated charcoal for it's purported health benefits.

Has anyone tried this and will the AC effect my opioid at all?
In my case specifically buprenorphine. Also could it affect my clonazepam and gabapentin?

If this is the wrong place for this post, I apologize and feel free to move it or delete it. I thought a conversation about AC and ingestion of opioids/drugs might be interesting and would be interested to hear anyone's experience using AC with opioids or any other drugs really. Or if activated charcoal is even worth using for any health benefits. Or is it just another BS "supplement"?
Thanks & cheers to all.

Last edited:
Cry me a river dude. Some of the most ignorant and hypocritical people are the ones who scream the loudest. Thanks for telling us about yourself.
Well thanks for having the decency to change your avatar at the least

Well thanks for having the decency to change your avatar at the least
You know ZERO about me as a human, and as an individual, yet you jump to conclusions and judgement right away, rather than contribute to anything regarding the actual thread. Is the internet not allowed to express themselves without making sure they don't offend you? Aren't there social justice sites you can go complain on?

You're speaking to a homosexual drug addict and even I'm less offended by shit than you are.

It's actually a great psychological experiment to see how people react to complete strangers just based on the symbolism they use, their styles, their aesthetics, etc.. It tells me that "don't judge a book by it's cover" is no longer relevant in today's world. "Attack anything we don't like or understand" is apparently the new norm.

I'm sorry dude, swastikas just piss me off, funny Hitler pics I can cope with.

On topic the only time I had active charcoal administered was when I had my stomach pumped so can't help you there.

I love swastikas. You do know the swastika has more than one meaning right? And that people some times adopt controversial imagery & symbolism to make artistic statements? I also enjoy Hindu art & culture.

A favorite old gay artist & musician of mine was Rozz Williams and he often had swastikas in his work and even performed wrapped in a German WWII flag.
Look him up.

I'm sorry that swastikas piss you off. Our endless drug war in America pisses ME off. How people choose to express themselves through imagery, symbolism, music or whatever is really none of my concern and if I don't like something, I simply don't look at it. Everyone should have the right to express themselves, whether other people like it or not.

And just so you know, I was born in '88. And in today's world now, anyone else who was and used their birth year in their user name will now be presumed a "nazi". The irony is ridiculous in my opinion and I'm a strong believer in reserving our right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

All these people reporting and going after some one they presume to be whatever & getting them banned pisses me off more than symbols. They think they're the open minded ones while intentionally restricting the self expression of others that they don't like. I am not here to disrespect or start anything with people. I am here to help others and gather knowledge.

But thanks anyways.

Last edited:
Cry me a river dude. Some of the most ignorant and hypocritical people are the ones who scream the loudest. Thanks for telling us about yourself.
That’s a beautiful profile picture, but I think you should know the pod was cut incorrectly, it should be cut horizontally
Sorry I know this is off topic, but as a druggy, that pod caught my eye

That’s a beautiful profile picture, but I think you should know the pod was cut incorrectly, it should be cut horizontally
Sorry I know this is off topic, but as a druggy, that pod caught my eye

Lol no problem! I was asked to change it and went with the first pic I could grab. But I was unaware that it was cut incorrectly and I'm always down to learn some new knowledge! Thanks @polarthedog .

It is a beautiful blue color though & delicious, gotta admit.

Lol no problem! I was asked to change it and went with the first pic I could grab. But I was unaware that it was cut incorrectly and I'm always down to learn some new knowledge! Thanks @polarthedog .

It is a beautiful blue color though & delicious, gotta admit.
I agree haha (referring To you’re pretty blue poppy pod)
personally, I’ve heard the same thing your saying about swasticas from friends in jail, if you meant it to mean something else, I get your point, apparently it was present in history long before hitler. Who am I to judge. But you gotta assume that people are going to take it to mean that your a nazi or something because that’s the most known use of a swastica. Not saying your a nazi or anything
Personally, I think some of those friends in jails probs were nazis, I mean I was in jail, but i didn’t need care, as long as they treated me with kindness And respect, their personally beliefs are none of my business.

Hello,
I was thinking about trying some activated charcoal for it's purported health benefits.

Has anyone tried this and will the AC effect my opioid at all?
In my case specifically buprenorphine. Also could it affect my clonazepam and gabapentin?

If this is the wrong place for this post, I apologize and feel free to move it or delete it. I thought a conversation about AC and ingestion of opioids/drugs might be interesting and would be interested to hear anyone's experience using AC with opioids or any other drugs really. Or if activated charcoal is even worth using for any health benefits. Or is it just another BS "supplement"?
Thanks & cheers to all.
What are the purported health benefits? Also, if you take the activate charcoal at the same time as you take a pill, it will absorb the drugs, and keep them from absorbing through your intestinal walls. But I think if you put a couple hours between taking the pill and taking the charcoal, you should be fine

I agree haha (referring To you’re pretty blue poppy pod)
personally, I’ve heard the same thing your saying about swasticas from friends in jail, if you meant it to mean something else, I get your point, apparently it was present in history long before hitler. Who am I to judge. But you gotta assume that people are going to take it to mean that your a nazi or something because that’s the most known use of a swastica. Not saying your a nazi or anything
Personally, I think some of those friends in jails probs were nazis, I mean I was in jail, but i didn’t need care, as long as they treated me with kindness And respect, their personally beliefs are none of my business.
Nah I understand.
I am an underground musician and I've been collecting music from crazy underground genres for most of my life. Mostly stuff like Power Electronics, Harsh Noise, Industrial, Experimental, Black Metal & even stuff like Synth Pop, New Wave, etc.. A lot of it from the 80s' (totally different period).
A lot of these artists also used swastikas, runes & subversive symbolism in their music, but in reality, as actual individuals and people, they were pretty open minded and weren't actually racist or anything at all. And that style, culture and way of thinking became a part of my personality as well.

Like you said, you treat some one with respect and they do the same. We all have to respect each others differences, so that should include even ones we are uncomfortable with. We also always need to remember our history and pay attention to current events and make sure we don't repeat things.

There use to be a time where people could have different opinions, beliefs, ideas, etc.. but we all still got a long and were civil. Hell even friends!
My old heroin dealer was a black man from Chicago. The guy had done time for murder. And him and I became incredibly good friends. He would always come over and of course he would see "symbols" at my place that people today would have a fit over, but it didn't bother him. He asked about it once, I explained myself and why I was into what I was into and he understood and we never spoke of it again, except for when we would crack jokes about it.
I got to know a lot of other black people through him and all of them were the same. None of us were bickering or judging each other. It was just common sense that if you're respectful to me, I'll be respectful to you and it was as simple as that. I don't care what color a person is when it comes down to it.

I always laugh when people call me a nazi. Being a gay drug addict, who use to run with a black gangbanger makes it truly ironic. :LOL: But it also makes me sad that humanity has come down to this. If I am a nazi, i'm pretty damn open minded compared to those who claim not to be! LOL

I changed my pic out of respect for a mod. Plus BL is a great place for people to learn. I've lost a lot of friends to drug overdoses & seen people get themselves into situations because they didn't know any better not to mix certain drugs or what the side effects of something they're taking are. I appreciate this site & the people here very much. Many have taught me a great deal and I've even made friends here.

As for the activated charcoal, they claim it can help kidney function. A few years ago I accidentally gave myself rhabdomyolysis, so I thought I could use something to get my kidneys working better just in case. It's also purported to reduce cholesterol, which some blood work I've had done a few times said my cholesterol was getting high. I also figured that since it's suppose to draw toxins and bad shit out of your body that maybe after all years & years of meth & heroin use & all the chemicals we get pumped into us by our overlords that maybe it might help me out with feeling fatigued and achy all the time. Maybe give me my energy back as well.

I've decided that if I do try to take it, I will try it at bed time, in case it affects any of the medicines I take. And yeah like you mentioned, I think if I take it late enough after taking my meds that I should be fine. Was just curious too if anyone had tried AC and felt any benefits, but was told to go to Stormfront. lol The funny thing is, is I probably would have gotten a kinder response about it over there! lol

Anyways, thanks for understanding polarthedog! I enjoy good conversation. Good conversation and learning is a form of harm reduction on it's own. So thanks for the responses! :)
Cheers friend!

Yeah activated charcoal will almost certainly make your meds less effective. Activated charcoal isn't really a supplement, it's more like a sponge that absorbs a large variety of molecules, that's why it's often used during drug overdoses.

It may be useful for people who have chronic kidney disease, specially if they require dialysis, but otherwise I don't see why anyone would want to take it on a regular basis.

Besides the issue that seems to have already been resolved... Activated charcoal is well known for clinging to a large range of molecules and is used in the medicine to absorb stomach contents in order to prevent the body from absorbing them.

It will, despite any perceived wellness effects, dampen the effects of any orally consumed substances and at worst could completely absorb the drug.

As has been said, if you’re going to take it then you need a good 2-3 hours wait before you can take opioids. If you take them at same time then it will diminish absorption.

Thank you all for your kind responses.

So it's been resolved. Anyone using oral opioids should definitely avoid AC for a few hours around their dose.

I take all of my meds sublingually (buprenorphine, clonazepam) and tried the AC the other night without any ill-perceived effects.
It didn't occur to me at first that AC will only absorb drugs from your stomach, but not necessarily pull them out of your blood or anything.

Didn't notice any differences in perceived health either afterward, but I also didn't take it for very long.
But as stated by 4meSM, it doesn't sound like it has much benefit taking daily or for anything other than serious kidney disease or possible OD.

Thanks to all anyway. Thought it might be interesting and serve as a warning to others out there who might take their opioids orally and think about trying this.

Last edited: