• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Acidic drugs and tums

Yes 4 Potentiate or No 4 reduce FX?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

axe battler

Moderator: SLR, EADD
Staff member
Does taking acidic drugs like phenibut etc. lose potency if taken with any kind of alkali agent so it's easier on the ol gut,?
I've taken some with phenibut and it actually feels potentiated! Although I have also taken benzos so could be that...

Generally speaking, increasing the pH will decrease the absorption of a drug bearing a carboxylic acid group, as it favors the equilibrium towards its ionized form (COOH --> COO-) which has a harder time crossing cell membranes via passive diffusion.

The loss of potency might not be that significant though. There are other factors that can have a higher impact on the way the drug feels (such as stomach content).
And yeah benzos definitely potentiate phenibut

Last edited:
So basically taking a couple calcium carbonate antacids before taking any drug will usually increase bioàvailability @4meSM ?

So basically taking a couple calcium carbonate antacids before taking any drug will usually increase bioàvailability @4meSM ?
No, it can either decrease or increase bioavailability depending on the drug. In the case of acidic drugs (like phenibut) it usually decreases their bioavailability.

I know using calcium carbonate and that TYPE of anti-acid (Tums, Rennies, Gaviscon) can go either way depending on the drug. I'd THINK it would decrease the effects of Phenibut because it definitely significantly decreases the effects of Gabapentin and Pregabalin (on the product information leaflet that comes with my Gabapentin, it says not to take use them within two hours before or one hour after Gabapentin as it can cause less of the Gabapentin to be absorbed).
However, Omeprazole and similar are fine and won't effect any absorption. Esomeprazole also works and can be bought without a prescription from the pharmacy under the name "Nexium" (if they ask, say you have either heartburn or indigestion).

I'll near that in mint thanks! Just phenibut is bad on the stomach I imagine!

Has it got to be naproxen,,? Or would ibuprofen or aspirin work? What's the method of action?