View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Acid/shrooms comparisons

A

Anon69314

i am very new to psychedelics, so new in fact that i have never tried them. Ones that i am interested in are acid and shrooms, but have wondered this question for a while:
Which of the two have the best experience while still being able to function?

Last edited by a moderator:
IME.

a tab of acid can either be very weak or very strong or a completely different drug. hopefully you test you acid. i'd start at a half tab since you never really know how much is on it or a 1.5-2g of mushrooms. both of those doses, IME had me pretty functional with the ability to feel relatively comfortable in public and the effects were heavily potentiated by cannabis. really brings out the magic and visuals in lower dosed trips.

3.3g of mushrooms and 1.5-2tabs of an acid blotter usually renders me hardly able to function in normal society. communication is shot and the stupid grin persists.

if you don't test your acid, even half a tab can be overwhelming if it's a high dose of a 25x or DOx chemical. be aware and start small.

low doses of each are pretty functional, ime.

For me, the main differences that are obvious between acid and mushrooms is how long they last.
LSD tends to be at least an 8 hour experience, whereas shrooms can be pretty much winding down by the 4 hour mark.

They're both really unpredictable, in the sense that different effects can manifest at different doses (or even the same dose) according to what sort of environment you are in, and how you are feeling.

They are both drugs that need to be approached with great respect, even though they are regarded as physically benign.

They are both psychedelics but are both SO different that I don't know where to begin describing their differences other than to say I consider LSD a much "harder" drug.

They're both alike and similar in certain ways, yet completely different in other ways, and are two completely different drugs.

For myself I found that LSD even in lower doses lasts 12 hours, and mushrooms last a good 8 hours. But I'm different in that my eyes do not dilate at all on LSD but they dilate extremely on mushrooms and stay that way while I'm coming down while my friend's eyes stopped being dilated when we sobered up.

You can't really compare an X number of doses/tabs of LSD v.s. a weight of mushrooms as there's no actual or real standard for mics/ug on LSD blotter, and sometimes mushrooms can be extremely strong even in low measure doses, and what's a standard or low dose for some people is a high dose for others.

Last edited:
For myself I found that LSD even in lower doses lasts 12 hours, and mushrooms last a good 8 hours.

What do you mean by "lasts" tho? You can feel some residual effect of the drug in your body but don't you find LSD peaks way earlier than 12 hours? I'm usually well on the way down after 6 hours or so and by the 10th hour it's no more like being high than having a cup of coffee.

I've always found mushrooms tend to be a bit more fun - nicer on the body, shorter but most striking of all is mushrooms have a "presence" that I don't tend to find with LSD. There's a feeling that the mushrooms are animate and wanting to know you. Hoffman commented on this - saying that he preferred LSD because he felt there was something in the mushroom communicating with him.

What do you mean by "lasts" tho? You can feel some residual effect of the drug in your body but don't you find LSD peaks way earlier than 12 hours? I'm usually well on the way down after 6 hours or so and by the 10th hour it's no more like being high than having a cup of coffee.

I've always found mushrooms tend to be a bit more fun - nicer on the body, shorter but most striking of all is mushrooms have a "presence" that I don't tend to find with LSD. There's a feeling that the mushrooms are animate and wanting to know you. Hoffman commented on this - saying that he preferred LSD because he felt there was something in the mushroom communicating with him.

By "lasts" I mean I'm still feeling some effect of the drug or even after effects, and not completely back to baseline. Does this make sense?

Yes I also have noticed that the mushrooms have more of a "presence".

These are my subjective experiences based on 20-30 lysergamide trips and large numbers of mushrooms trips. I haven't tried LSD, but LSZ, Al-Lad (screwed that up) and 1P-LSD. Etc-Lad tomorrow.

Mushrooms I find much more visual, both OEV's and CEV's. Honestly I find the visuals so overwhelming that all I do is lie back on the couch and listen to music and/or watch movies. I have to have playlists set up or tend to find myself unable to exercise fine motor control. Lysergamides on the other hand seem to lack an all encompassing visual aspect, but do lead to visual 'flights of fancy' (this may sound odd, but on 200 ug 1P-LSD my dog, instead of appearing to be a Golden Lab, looked like a reindeer with peppermint lollipops for ears). The visuals seem much more transitory and fleeting.

As far as introspection/mental/head/mind fuck - I find that mushrooms have it, but not lysergamides. When taking 5g mushrooms, I find it very easy to get deliriously, gloriously confused - occasionally standing in one position quite motionless because I can't figure out where I want to move to or what I want to do. So far I've remained quite clear headed on 1P-LSD, but have much more trouble walking. On mushrooms, I can stagger around like a drunk, walk right up to the wall and stare at the woodgrain for a long time.

Body load - I always feel nauseous when starting a mushroom trip, but this clears up when I'm peaking, or if I preload with something like Ranitidine. I've never actually vomited though. Mild chills and limited shakes. With LSZ or 1P-LSD I get quite cold, start shaking/shivering and have prominent leg shaking from about 25-60 minutes after dropping. Minor or non existent nausea.

Euphoria is constant, omnipresent and continuous on mushrooms; I've never found it with lysergamides (at all).

Mushrooms seem laid back, relaxing and quite sedating to me; I've got no problem sleeping after 5-6 hours. Lysergamides on the other hand, tend to keep me awake. I've heard them referred to as 'speedy'. I find them to be a perfect solution for my hypersomnia. I can't sleep on them, and this is quite okay with me. I'll take them at the end of a hellishly long day and know that I'll be awake for another 12 hours. On the other hand, I can be awake for only a couple hours after a 8 hour sleep, take mushrooms and be asleep again fairly soon, only to wake up tripping. With 1P-LSD there isn't a chance in hell of me sleeping even if I'm sleep deprived/depressed (which is all the time).

Bottom line is that I look at mushrooms as a 'happy drug' - something that puts me in a good place for a week or so. Lysergamides allow me to focus (does that seem weird?).

Tom

[edit; I've not yet combined the two or 'hippy flipped'(?) That's something I hope to do soon]

The time is a big difference in the trip, peaking out faster & shorter duration on shrooms, although can be as intense a trip, it tends to begin to wind down starting after about 3-4 hours & out at 6-7 hours, w/some waves. Acid I find is waves of peaking that last longer & the overall trip lasts up to 12+ hours. I also, find that even with super clean acid, there's a lasting sparkle, like mescaline.

The Mushroom is more organic kind of sense to the high, where I find LSD more electric, metallic but both produce a beautiful connection of the psychedelic state. This presence I also noticed in The Mushroom, the "organic aliveness". Terence McKenna to Maria Sabina speak it's personality like this. There are test services & kits for LSD. I would be careful & avoid street sources. Careful dosing. Go to zendo.org. (MAPS)

Last edited:
Which of the two have the best experience while still being able to function?

This is a really subjective question. Different people will have differing opinions about which is "best" and which is less inebriating.

I have only done LSD once, but I have done mushrooms about 50 times. My experience on LSD was lucid--I could keep my cool perfectly even though I was super fucked up on the inside. Both have explosive euphoria, given the setting is appropriate for the trip. I found LSD to be not confusing at all, I could interact perfectly with the people around me who were sober, but I'm sure this is highly dose-dependent. Mushrooms are near impossible to fool anyone that you are tripping. It almost seems that sober people are speaking a foreign language when you are tripping on mushrooms. Mushrooms (IMO) are the psychedelic most likely to induce a bad trip simply from the intense and chaotic metal confusion they create.

If you want the psych that allows you to function best, Mescalito is your savior. IME Mescalito is the most enjoyable, easiest to function on (by a wide margin), and has the fewest negative side effects of all three of the big ones (L, Psilly, and Mesc). I would seriously recommend getting your hands on some fine cactus, and I can help give you some direction with that if you PM me. Best of luck friend

and has the fewest negative side effects of all three of the big ones (L, Psilly, and Mesc). I would seriously recommend getting your hands on some fine cactus

I agree mescaline is the gentlest of the three but it has the pretty enormous side effect that cactus is practically impossible to choke down and causes by far the most nausea. Unless you do an a/b extraction which is quite a bit of work.

LSD-25 is more of a state of being high, the universe is just different, you feel like you are in doctor Seuss land. Acid is slight in that you can sometimes be unaware of the changes in your reality and the mind can "hold onto" a perceived reality. Understand that you will just see things that aren't true. And not to take anything as meaning any more while you are in it, because that is just crazy, things aren't totally different now just because you took some lsd xD

Now mushrooms. You are very aware you are on a drug. You man feel some nausea. But the colors and patterns are much more superficial in my opinion, instead of warping reality like LSD. Mushrooms just chaotically make the world explode into colors. It's a real "trip"

Keep in mind both these descriptions are on

400mu LSD
1/8th oz cyanessan. (Er however u spell it)

Lsd can become much more trip like at higher doses, but for me. Lsd is more of a psychedelic state. And mushies are like a song on ur playlist, a trip, a true start and end time. Much easier on the mind.

LSD needs a certain disregard for control.