View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! acid management

Chris Timothy

Bluelighter
I feel like a dumbo for having to ask this but I better get it out of the way. I had stashed up on acid a while ago intending a lifetime supply. But memory is a bitch as a dissociatives binger, and I think I might have gravely abused my acid. Last time I took three tabs shooting for 300 mics and it felt like three bare microdoses.

I keep the tabs in a ziplock in the fridge, and when I want one I let the baggie out sitting on a table waiting for it to reach room temperature so no moisture physics shenanigans occurs upon opening. Then I rip off a blotter piece, careful not to touch any material that's not getting consumed. I would have thunk that to be careful enough to preserve acid over the years, but apparently not so?

Please point out the flaws in my acid management, and berate me for not living up to my name. I know I must have gravely botched this up and am in need of education.

If you store it properly, i.e., control for light, O2, heat and moisture, it should last for many, many years. Vacuum sealing is likely the process that can take care of all of that provided it was stored in a stable temperature, in a dark place, etc. Again, it is not uncommon, when properly stored, for L to last for many years without losing much potency for a very long time. I know people who still have some from nearly ten years ago and they use it perhaps twice a year, and it is still going strong...again, being properly vacuum sealed/stored.

Here's an interview published on The Oak Tree Review with legendary LSD chemist Owsley Stanley (a/k/a Bear).
Acid on blotter is so unstable (~ 3 days to several weeks at most) you have to be lucky to get 80 mcg... Blotter is stupid as a dosage format. It will not keep – some stuff goes off in hours, some in days, all are dead in weeks.
Acid dispersed on paper is subject to light, air, moisture, heat, bacteria and the various impurities and chemicals in both the paper and the liquid used to impregnate the paper, and even to various chemical vapours in the air. It is totally worthless, stay away from it...
Blotter is not even stable for 30 hours. Deterioration commences as soon as the liquid carrier is soaked into the paper.

I respect Owsely very much, but I sure hope he's wrong about this one particular item as I also have some stashed away as well. :unsure:

I respect Owsely very much, but I sure hope he's wrong about this one particular item as I also have some stashed away as well. :unsure:
I hope so too, I've got 25 hits laid in 2014 that I really hope are still as good as the day I got them :cautious:

Only ever saw gel-tabs twice, they seem rare still. But I was gifted a good gel tab last year, that was nice :)

Why aren't micro-dots a thing anymore?

I keep the tabs in a ziplock in the fridge
Just a baggie? I would not trust a ziplock baggie to keep out moisture at all. In fact I'm so scared of fridge humidity I keep all my drugs in the coolest part of my house but just room temperature. I think fridges are overkill and more prone to damage than anything else (but we also have A/C here so my low house temps are usually 67-72F; as I understand it you Euro folk have no A/C), but that's just my 2C.

i vacuum seal them and keep them in a dark place at room temp but i always have like 5 to 10 unsealed sitting at room temp also so i dont have to open the sealed stash

but ive also had blotter sitting in my wallet for months that were still great

i wouldn't personally ever keep them in the fridge because of moisture unless they're vacuum sealed

Here's an interview published on The Oak Tree Review with legendary LSD chemist Owsley Stanley (a/k/a Bear).

He is incorrect, although certainly if left exposed of course it will begin to degrade fairly rapidly. But yeah...I know with 100% certainty that what he said is not true. At least in the sense of taking into account proper storage and treatment of the chemical. Certainly blotter is far from ideal, but when you have it in your possession literally for years and it still work great, it is what it is.

He is incorrect, although certainly if left exposed of course it will begin to degrade fairly rapidly. But yeah...I know with 100% certainty that what he said is not true. At least in the sense of taking into account proper storage and treatment of the chemical. Certainly blotter is far from ideal, but when you have it in your possession literally for years and it still work great, it is what it is.
Experience say's that you are correct, that's always what happened to me.

I keep mine in thick non air permeable plastic double seal bags that I place inside a larger one of the same construction. These are placed in a large sealed thick wooden box lined with copper and kept in a place that has constant room temperature and humidity. So far it seems like after 5 years they still are very, very active. I have some tablets from the 60's that are still very active as well, stored in the same way.

Just thought I'd bring up that article for completeness. The Bear was a genius with regards to Soound Engineering and LSD; but didn't win any awards for congeniality.

I'm awfully surprised Owsley said that because it's definitely not true (all blotters are inactive within weeks? Nuh-uh). I have blotter I have kept in a cool, dry place, in a sealed jar that lets in no light or air and with dessicant inside to keep out moisture, that is perfectly fine with no noticeable loss of potency, for years.

The only thing I can think, unless he just didn't like the idea of blotter and was exaggerating, is that perhaps there was originally a different salt form being used for LSD that was indeed far less stable. That might be it, as other LSD chemists of the time also stated that LSD is extremely unstable, I believe. But then again, C_K's 60s acid is still good today.

@Chris Timothy, your problem is the ziplock bag... plastic bags do virtually nothing to keep moisture off of things, as the plastic is a permeable variety. If you want to keep it in the cold, you'll need to use either amber vials, sealed tight, in the freezer (and wait for room temperature before opening), or, better yet, vacuum sealed bags (using the vacuum sealer pouches designed for the sealer, which are a different kind of plastic, I believe). Both refrigerators and freezers are very damp environments, but the freezer is so cold that the moisture just crystallizes on the outside of things. The refrigerator is only suitable for storing drugs that are in liquid solutions already.

But really, as especially Cheshire_Kat's experience shows, a cool, dry place, protected from air, light and moisture as much as possible, is perfectly fine to even store it for 60 years.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think, unless he just didn't like the idea of blotter and was exaggerating, is that perhaps there was originally a different salt form being used for LSD that was indeed far less stable. That might be it, as other LSD chemists of the time also stated that LSD is extremely unstable, I believe. But then again, C_K's 60s acid is still good today.
Good point. I know zero about synthesis and what you say is very possible.

LSD is not as unstable as people make it out to be. When i use to it take over the years before i quit. I simply stored it either inside sealed vitamin jars, the cases u get console games with or just throw it inside my draw lol. Never once did my hits ever lose potency even those kept upwards of a year.

Owsley wasn’t actually a Chemist, more of an LSD cook. He knew what “ingredients” he needed and the steps to take to turn those ingredients into LSD.
The chemist was his girlfriend, Melissa Cargill, who at the time was a chemistry major at Berkeley. She is the person actually responsible for the legendary LSD they produced.
I would take Owsleys chemistry expertise with a grain of salt. He was an excellent sound engineer and made some pretty cool belt buckles.

Acid on paper keeps just fine in a dark, cool place. I avoid the fridge out of fear of moisture. A night stand drawer works fine for me.

Kept between the pages”Of Human Bondage” in a drawer LSD lasts at least 5 years on blotter. LSD may be unstable, but it isn’t bull in a China shop - walking on land mines unstable. I’ve seen people pull hits out of their wallets, pockets, etc. at festivals and those always did fine too.

What didn’t work for me was the time someone tried to put liquid L on to blotter. 25 hits, and it pooled. Don’t blame the guy he hadn’t laid a sheet. Ended up trying 5, thinking that stuff was bunk and eating the other 20 an hour later. That was an interesting Halloween party.

I heard someone say they'd had blotter for 50 years - just kept between the pages of a book - and it was as good as 50 years ago.

I never have acid hanging round long enough to notice any degradation - certainly never noticed any difference in 6-12 months and that's just kept in a book.

I did an experiment, and think I've sold the mystery. I took a tab from that stash again, and verily tripped balls from it. Then I took an antipsychotic to see exactly how effectively this stuff kills trips. I have no doubt in my mind anymore that using the AP as sleep aid the night before that disappointed sampling event had influenced my assessment of potency.

Therefore, the fridge acid is just fine, and I've been paranoid. No reason to suspect ziplock leakage through the plastic, at least not from my case.

Thanks for all the help, though. We all need to take good care of our chemicals. :)

I keep mine in a lil ziploc bag in an empty pill bottle, seems to work just find and is pretty resistant to any moisture getting in.

I've been seeing more and more gel tabs lately, the last few times I've done acid have all been gel, only did paper with friends who bought a long time ago.

I keep it dry and dark and key-locked away in a drawer.
It has lasted decades this way.
I reject the use of refrigeration because it can mechanically fail and lead to problems but mostly because you cannot sequester it away from others who have access to the fridge who may inadvertently tamper with it or remove it without your permission.
It does not need to be colder than your room or your pants pockets. you just don't want wetness or uv light.

I did an experiment, and think I've sold the mystery. I took a tab from that stash again, and verily tripped balls from it. Then I took an antipsychotic to see exactly how effectively this stuff kills trips. I have no doubt in my mind anymore that using the AP as sleep aid the night before that disappointed sampling event had influenced my assessment of potency.

Therefore, the fridge acid is just fine, and I've been paranoid. No reason to suspect ziplock leakage through the plastic, at least not from my case.

Thanks for all the help, though. We all need to take good care of our chemicals. :)

I would still not keep it in the fridge, anyway though. It will degrade faster that way than in room temperature in a dry place.

Another possible error here is what we mean by room temperature.

In the US the room temperature is the AC, in Europe room temperature is what our out-of-whack climate makes of it, for now at least..

Another possible error here is what we mean by room temperature.

In the US the room temperature is the AC, in Europe room temperature is what our out-of-whack climate makes of it, for now at least..

room temp just means somewhere between 18 and 23 C.....if it gets a little warmer, they'll still be ok

you need to buy a cheap vacuum sealer - that's the way to go