• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Acid and Leg Pain

^Yep ;) Hence the many threads/information/etc on the phenomena

Is it possible that a combination of LSD and 100-200mg of 5-HTP could cause fairly uncomfortable and worrying muscle pain and signs of vasoconstriction?

Maybe once or twice swim experienced strange pains in the lungs, limbs, inner thighs, legs, coldness in extremities and rather pronounced / blue veins in the arms, back of the knees maybe even the head.

Scary shit no? One wonders how serious the effects could have been, the pronounced veins were very scary. To counteract this effect, massage, mild exercise and moving of said extremities as well as doses of Yohimbe (a vasodilator with other properties) may have helped.

^Yep ;) Hence the many threads/information/etc on the phenomena

I'm not sure how many of them are down to vasoconstriction tho. I think 99.9% of the "My back aches..my thighs ache..the cheeks of my arse ache.." are down to simple muscle tension rather than mysterious vasoconstriction.

Muscle tension is what I'd always assumed myself, Issy. Don't have the requisite knowledge of body chemistry to know, of course. It's not really something I'd ever though of before reading through this thread, but I certainly often ache like hell on acid and many other psyches. I do tend to spend a lot of time just sat on my arse watching the pretty things and postwhoring sparkly rambles on BL on aforementioned psyches though which probably explains most of that...

One thing I have become more aware of recently is that psyches tend to make me wee a lot and I often to forget to rehydrate properly. Have noticed that this gives me a lot of aches and pains that sound similar to what is described by many here. Electolyte imbalances, I presume. Stretching, shaking a lil tailfeather sometimes, drinking plenty of fluids other than plain water and nibbling at suitable nibbly things work wonders for me :)

Perhaps we could start the "Ismene and Shambles" massage service for people on acid. Massage away those vasoconstrictive pains...=D

I'm not sure how many of them are down to vasoconstriction tho. I think 99.9% of the "My back aches..my thighs ache..the cheeks of my arse ache.." are down to simple muscle tension rather than mysterious vasoconstriction.

I do agree there, but there is one peculair sensation tha I feel in my thighs, lying down or standing up or doing the hkey pokey, which feels like a kind of pressure....

The arse cheeks thing- easily enough explained if your in S@M or sodomy :D

I think you're wrong... It is quite a distinctive feeling to have the calf pain associated with the vasoconstriction from psychedelics. The worst I have had it was when I took 24mg of methysergide. It feels nothing like a muscle ache.

IME, this feeling is nothing like muscle pain or soreness...

I think you're wrong... It is quite a distinctive feeling to have the calf pain associated with the vasoconstriction from psychedelics. The worst I have had it was when I took 24mg of methysergide. It feels nothing like a muscle ache.

I think the trouble is we're all talking about different pains. The OP said he had pains in his legs, he didn't mention anything about them just being in his calves.

^You'd be surprised :D ;) Actually, studies recently published in New Scientist indicated that post- spanking, cortisol levels drop substanctially- so maybe its like the physical/tortuous form of xanax.

Maybe not though...

I think for some people, LSD has a toch of the traumatic about it as it's such an intense experience - as such, it can lead to a very peculiar form of PTSD (which is associated with a myriad of misinterpretation of somatic/sensory input leading to psychosomatic conditions). As such, a bad case of muscle tension can slowly become much more serious when interpreted through the LSD experience. As I mentioned, the dose of LSD required to have any significant effect at the alpha adrenoreceptors (the receptors that are responsible for the vasoconstriction seen with ergotamine and other ergoline derivatives) is way beyond the doses experienced by a majority of the people who've used LSD (we're talking thumbprint territory)

^Thats a true and good point Bulby I associate certain muscular feelings with normal sobre anxiety, and have felt the same on acid- hence linking the two, even if when on LSD, I am not actually anxious.

I think for some people, LSD has a toch of the traumatic about it as it's such an intense experience - as such, it can lead to a very peculiar form of PTSD (which is associated with a myriad of misinterpretation of somatic/sensory input leading to psychosomatic conditions). As such, a bad case of muscle tension can slowly become much more serious when interpreted through the LSD experience. As I mentioned, the dose of LSD required to have any significant effect at the alpha adrenoreceptors (the receptors that are responsible for the vasoconstriction seen with ergotamine and other ergoline derivatives) is way beyond the doses experienced by a majority of the people who've used LSD (we're talking thumbprint territory)

I was of the opinion that the vasoconstriction from psychedelics is caused through the acviation of peripheral serotonin receptors, moreso than adrenoreceptors.

Isolated and named in 1948 by Maurice M. Rapport, Arda Green, and Irvine Page of the Cleveland Clinic,[40] the name serotonin is something of a misnomer and reflects the circumstances of the compound's discovery. It was initially identified as a vasoconstrictor substance in blood serum – hence serotonin, a serum agent affecting vascular tone. This agent was later chemically identified as 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) by Rapport, and, as the broad range of physiological roles were elucidated, 5-HT became the preferred name in the pharmacological field.

In blood, serotonin stored in platelets is active wherever platelets bind, as a vasoconstrictor to stop bleeding, and also as a fibrocyte mitotic, to aid healing. Because of these effects, overdoses of serotonin, or serotonin agonist drugs, may cause acute or chronic pulmonary hypertension from pulmonary vasoconstriction

In addition, serotonin is also a peripheral signal mediator. It is found extensively in the human gastrointestinal tract as about 80-90% of the body's total serotonin is found in the enterochromaffin cells in the gut.[7][8] In the blood, the major storage site is platelets, which collect serotonin for use in mediating post-injury vasoconstriction.

The anti-migraine effect [of ergotamine] is due to constriction of the intercranial extracerebral blood vessels through the 5-HT1B receptor

I have a tendency to sit for long periods of time in awkward positions while on acid that cause me to be sore the next day, perhaps that's it?

yes, this can be the culprit. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread when I refered to the "acid cringe"