• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Acetone wash with drug store acetone (vs hardware store)?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I read a comment on reddit to the effect of drug store acetone being inferior for acetone wash purposes, due to claims of 100% purity despite additives which obstruct the washing process (supposedly added specifically for that purpose).

To achieve this requires purchasing 90%+ purity hardware store acetone, and Epsom salts to leach the 10% by volume of water from the acetone to render it completely anhydrous. Beauty store acetone won't work well, even if 99% pure, as they put an additional chemical into the bottle to prevent folks from using it for this purpose.

Anyone have experience or insights on drug store vs hardware store acetone?

That thread/comment also claims that Isopropyl Alcohol of similar purity (99.5%) is effective for an impurity removing wash.

Last edited:
I would hafta say anhydrous acetone. You can make your own from hardware store bought acetone
Add anhydrous magnesium sulfate and let it sit a day. Make the anhydrous mag sulfate ( Epsom salt) by baking it in the oven. You can google it the info is readily available. I use the same thing for stepped on coke and IT WORKS. I’ve zero experience w meth though. I’m sure someone better informed will chime in.

U can use any hardware acetone from what I understand as long as you remove the small percentage of water that exists within. Thats where baking the Epsom salt in the oven to remove all moisture comes into play. Soon as it comes out of the oven seal it in a mason jar. Once you obtain what is now your “anhydrous” ( no water) Epsom salt you add some to your acetone. The amount you add doesn’t need to be exact. I used 500 ml acetone to which I added two or three tablespoons worth of the salt. All in a mason jar. You will know it’s ready when as the last poster stated the salt swirls around like smoke almost. Then let it settle and draw some of the clear acetone off the top w turkey baster. I’ve read it can take from 30 minutes and up to dry the acetone. The few times I’ve done it I already had it prepared days ahead of time. I don’t know if this helps but that’s it in a nutshell. Look up the tek it’s pretty simple and definitely worthwhile.

Dry acetone is required if you want to wash cocaine.
You can wash small amounts (up to a few grams) of meth or amp sulphate with non-anhydrous acetone, the results will be pretty similar (as long as there isn't a ton of water in your acetone)
It's better if you dry it beforehand, but even if you don't, a quick acetone wash is often worth it.

An acetone wash is supposed to be a quick way to clean your product, if you want to be thorough just do a full acid-base extraction instead.

The difference between drug store and hardware is not that clear. You want 100 % pure anhydrous acetone. There are also non anhydrous acetone solutions and acetone solutions (like nail polish remover) that may have additives in him.

I just buy hardware store acetone labelled 100 % pure acetone and then dry it myself. Acetone can absorb water from the atmosphere when it is opened. So I store it a sealed container (a mason jar) with oven-baked Epsom salts in the bottom. An acetone wash takes 10 minutes if you have a fan, hair dryer or fan-forced oven to help with the drying. Let me know if you need a step-by-step guide.

Dry acetone is required if you want to wash cocaine.
You can wash small amounts (up to a few grams) of meth or amp sulphate with non-anhydrous acetone, the results will be pretty similar (as long as there isn't a ton of water in your acetone)
It's better if you dry it beforehand, but even if you don't, a quick acetone wash is often worth it.

An acetone wash is supposed to be a quick way to clean your product, if you want to be thorough just do a full acid-base extraction instead.

Guide?

It's rather straightforward to legally purchase 99.9% acetone without any additives online in most countries, and then to chuck in some epsom salts to lock in most of the remaining moisture.

Most would be surprised how much of their stimulant of choice becomes soluble in acetone when even a teeny tiny amount of moisture is present.

It's rather straightforward to legally purchase 99.9% acetone without any additives online in most countries, and then to chuck in some epsom salts to lock in most of the remaining moisture.

Most would be surprised how much of their stimulant of choice becomes soluble in acetone when even a teeny tiny amount of moisture is present.

Note for purposes of clarity: you can’t just ‘chuck in’ Epsom salts. They need to be dehydrated of all moisture themselves before being added to the acetone.

Drying salts takes 2 hours in an oven.

As a time saver I've considered using an air fryer.

Bake until chalky, should be sufficient?

Most foods cook in 1/4 the time in an air fryer.

I am not sure about that. It’s not cooking the Epsom salts, it’s encouraging the water to leave it and that happens progressively at different temp levels. That’s why you turn up the temp gradually as it dries.

For most people, that whole "you must bake your epsom salts before use" dogma that you see in all the online acetone wash guides is pretty illogical and a waste of time and/or cooking heat. They work perfectly well even at comparatively saturated levels. So considering how cheap they are, just add a few more teaspoons if you're worried they seemed a little claggy/lumpy when you added them.

What would be more useful is to make sure your drug of choice is totally bone dry before use, as that actually will have a measurable impact on the % lost during the rinsing process.