• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Accutane and meth (or anything else)

My dermatologist never warned me about this, although he was my friends dad so a family friend for many years, so our appointments were more on a personal level than professional, not to say that this is a result of negligence on his part at all, he didn't know this would happen, and he still doesn't know. I don't want to tell him that the drug he prescribed me caused this.

How did it happen? I developed symptoms right after stopping my second round of RX'd 40mg a day, even when I would routinely skip days and open the capsules to make the doses smaller, turning 1 x 40mg capsule into 2 piles of about 20mg powder each, which I would put in an empty temazepam capsule (since I take all benzodiazepines sublingually, and they are small capsules).

You're 8 days in? My advice is, if only I could have known this 8 days in. I've been at this screen thinking about how to respond to this since a few minutes after you posted, but it's been about a few hours and I still don't know what to say. I would give just about anything to be 8 days in, turn back the clock. But if I could go back in time, I would turn it back way further than Accutane but that's irrelevant.

There are so many things I would choose to have done differently and explored more options, instead of putting so much faith in this Snake Oil Accutane magic acne pill that was going to make everything better. Frankly, I'm disappointed to ever have put so much trust in a pharmaceutical company. I learned the hard way that it's nothing more than an industry, a business. Corporations are sociopaths, they don't have feelings, they don't care about anything more than your $$$. They don't know you, or give a flying fuck about your skin or any other part of your body.

Do you think that capitalism, for example the alcohol or tobacco industry gives a fuck that their product causes cancer and other debilitating, often terminal diseases? No, because they are compliant with the law. Pharmaceutical companies do the same thing by listing the side effects and everything listed in the prescribing information to satisfy the FDA, to satisfy the law. Remember that the law is not always right, it was not created by some supreme all-knowing being, it was created by men in a capitalist society. I have witnessed many situations where following the law put more people in harms way and caused more collateral damage than other options, especially in cases of domestic, physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.

So keep that in mind, it may be "legal" to give yourself these side effects, but that doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. Often the right thing to do is more simple than you think, diet and exercise go so much further than isotretinoin, don't buy Snake Oil. There are medications that actually are okay to take and are effective for their purpose, but they are still sold by the same companies selling Snake Oil, and this medication is not worth the risk to reward ratio in my experience. Now I'm personally financing the same industry that sold me this shit everytime I go pick up my prescription opioid narcotics that I now require for daily pain management and have a somewhat "functional" life, which would not be possible for me anymore now without narcotics.

tl;dr the chances are much better that diet and exercise are actually better for you. Even though it requires increased effort vs using the 0.5 calories it takes to swallow a pill, it won't put you on pain killers for the rest of your life and hopefully you won't ever have to think or worry about somehow eating food knowing the pain it will cause you. The way you digest food is something I guarantee you are taking for granted.

I'm not even going to go all the way into the methamphetamine aspect right now, it's way too late, or early technically... but it's not going to help your acne, if anything the contrary. How do you consume your methamphetamine? If you already mentioned this, I'll review this thread tomorrow. I realllllly hope you aren't vaporizing that shit, I've noticed most tweakers that smoke it have the worst skin, tied with IV users if not worse.

Last edited:
As far as the meth question, that im not sure about, but it prob wouldnt be a good idea.

I too am on isotretinoin (20 mg twice a day) however, 4 and a half months in out of 6 and it truly has helped me (it didnt help nearly as much until last month, for me it took a few months for it to really work fully). It is still available in the US, but it is VERY strictly controlled. Basically dermatoligists have to go through years of every other possible treatment before they prescribe it. You are also required to have a blood test every month before your doctor extends the prescription.

So far my side effects have not been terrible. I have had a decreased appetite, dry lips, and got ecsema on my arms.

If you do choose to stay on accutane id suggest vaseline lip balm and neosporin ecsema cream if you can get them, both of which have helped me immensely.

Hopefully i wont get any of the worse side effects in the final month and a half of treatment and if you choose to continue i wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Accutane is fucking garbage. It is absolutely the worst pharmaceutical drug ever. It's not worth the liver problems, peeling lips, and other side effects. That shit should only be used as a last resort and many times it's prescribed to individuals who really don't need it.

Mixing Accutane with anything that is metabolized by the liver is asking for trouble. Taking Tylenol with Accutane could cause problems. Shit drug is shit.

It drives me nuts when people who decide to use steroids get a few blemishes and take Accutane without the supervision of a doctor.

Accutane is one devil of a drug. I would never advise ANYONE take it, even those who seem to tolerate it well. I would discontinue it immediately if I were you, and be extra health-conscious so that your body might get some relief from what it has been exposed to. There are dangerous drugs prescribed everyday, but Accutane is very high on my list of the most dangerous. I cringe at the thought of someone using it. There are other drugs for acne - that is for sure. I had good success with a little topical combination I would use here and there of Neosporin (topical antiobiotics OTC), benzoyl peroxide, and hydrocortisone creams. It worked surprisingly well for all of the creams being OTC. I am less versed in drugs taken orally for acne control, but there are safer ones than Accutane. Often a simple antibiotic taken orally on a daily basis can help, the risks of which I am unsure. I would get a new dermatologist if I were you, though.

consider changing your diet, drug and exercise habits before taking a medication that can cause irreversible and grievous harm to your body. consider eating less refined sugars and processed foods, as they are probably the fuel that your acne is using to wreak havoc all over your face. these things can help you if you have the self discipline required to actually do it..

I too am on isotretinoin (20 mg twice a day) however, 4 and a half months in out of 6 and it truly has helped me (it didnt help nearly as much until last month, for me it took a few months for it to really work fully). It is still available in the US, but it is VERY strictly controlled. Basically dermatoligists have to go through years of every other possible treatment before they prescribe it. You are also required to have a blood test every month before your doctor extends the prescription.

So far my side effects have not been terrible. I have had a decreased appetite, dry lips, and got ecsema on my arms.

Hopefully i wont get any of the worse side effects in the final month and a half of treatment and if you choose to continue i wish you good luck.

Yeah, all those YEARS of every other possible treatment, getting monthly blood tests, VERY strict controls on isotretinoin didn't do jack shit for me. The "Oh it's okay they have a system in place!" argument is invalid, I put my faith in that system, I hope that you are lucky enough to get off 40mg a day for six months without lasting physical damage, I was not so lucky. The year after I got off accutane was probably what pushed me over the edge in terms of what I could physically and emotionally handle.

Diet and exercise has been used for thousands and thousands of years. Fuck Accutane, this drug will be facepalmed in medical literature for years to come.

Last edited:
Yeah, all those YEARS of every other possible treatment, getting monthly blood tests, VERY strict controls on isotretinoin didn't do jack shit for me. The "Oh it's okay they have a system in place!" argument is invalid, I put my faith in that system, I hope that you are lucky enough to get off 40mg a day for six months without lasting physical damage, I was not so lucky. The year after I got off accutane was probably what pushed me over the edge in terms of what I could physically and emotionally handle.

Diet and exercise has been used for thousands and thousands of years. Fuck Accutane, this drug will be facepalmed in medical literature for years to come.

Grr. Third time ive typed this
Reply, f'n phone.

I think at this point, so close to the end of treatment that my best option is to go ahead and finish it out, if i were a week in like the OP id be more apt to get out now.

Was the treatment plan the same when you took it (meaning, did you have to go through years of other treatments and get blood tested as well or had that changed since?) i wasnt using that as an argument, i was just giving info on the availability in the US today.

Did you have any bad symptoms during treatment or did they actually happen afterward?

Pehaps i should have tried changing my diet and exercise before trying accutane, but i dont know how much it would have helped, nothing else did and while im not in the greatest shape, im 18, 5'8" and 115 pounds.

I think at this point all i can do is hope that i end up being one of the people who think of accutane as a miracle drug rather than getting any terrible side effects later on, it seems that there is very little grey area between the two.

Like I said, all of the bad symptoms occurred upon discontinuation. Yes the treatment plan was most likely the same, in accordance with federal and state (CA) law, blood tests and whatnot.

Bet of luck to you all though, you're going to need it!

I highly suggest diet and exercise, I wish I had taken the advice of older people who told me this back then, now I'm here telling you the same thing, I hope someone listens.

If anyone has bad acne try a mega dose of B5. It works for some people and carries no risk like Accutane. You take 4-6 grams of B5 until your acne begins to vanish or dissapear and then you switch to a maintenance dose of 2-3 grams. You also have to take a b12 supplement because the large amount of B5 lowers B12 levels in the body.

Combine that with showering daily, exfoliating, moisturizing, tea tree oil on trouble spots, and cleaning your pillow case and bed linens weekly and you will be free of blemishes.

It all works. And it works good. Technically I should be covered in acne from all the anabolic androgenic steroids I take and the amount of thermogenics that cause me to sweat but my skin is amazingly clear and smooth.

It doesn't happen overnight but in two months your skin will clear up.

I don't know. I really don't. The answer is pretty obvious, at the same time it isn't. At this point I'm sick to death of these damn things. Not just the cosmetic aspect, although that's certainly there. They're so fucking sore. Whenever I wake up and lay there for a minute or two, I don't even need to look in the mirror to know my face has uninvited visitors on it. Whenever I rub against something accidentally with my back, sit down the wrong way on my bike seat, try to scratch my nose, my God it stings like nothing else. The shock more than anything. Then the anger. Fuck pimples, fuck 'em to hell.
At the same time, I haven't tried any kind of diet or exercise plan like you guys recommend. I've been going to gym at least 3 times a week for the last 4 or 5 months, lately I've reached a plateau so I've been ingesting as many calories as I possibly can. I need them. Not dirty calories, mind. I don't eat a lot of shit, in all honesty. On a working day I pack my own lunch, usually chicken slice with mayo on wholemeal bread, a can of tuna, banana, 3 or 4 rice crackers with peanut butter on them, and a little Freddo frog occasionally. I drink bottled water all through the day (free Mt Franklin, thanks Coke) and when I get home I down a protein shake, 1200 calories at once. Then I have dinner usually, whatever Mum cooks up. It's always something good, she very rarely gets takeaway. I have takeaway maybe once a month if that. It makes me feel sick. I don't have much sugar, like I said. Hell, this Easter everyone else that came in my room ate my chocolate cos it was sitting there for over a month unopened. And like I said, I gym 3 times a week and whenever I have a rest day I always try and make myself run down to the school to do some cores there as well. I mean, it's not like I hang around the house sweating my greasy ass off day in and out. And I shower after most gym sessions, whenever I come home afterwards. Wash my face with Hamilton's wash for sensitive skin so it doesn't dry out. So what else can I do on a regular basis to get rid of this shit a little bit over time?
As for cosmetic products, well. Personally, fuck 'em. If I bought a good moisturiser cos my acne is caused by dry skin, and it were to level out the moisture in my skin a bit more, I can see the point in that. But things like Proactiv and all those things at the top of a Google search, they're leeches, playing to people's insecurities. Their advertising, with all the celebrity endorsements and confidence talk, sickens me. How the fuck could anyone ever relate to Justin Bieber bitching about his acne and how it destroyed his self-confidence until he found a magical cure that the assholes actually pay him to wear? For a lot of people it doesn't do a thing, and if it does it's just a bandaid, a cover-up while you keep chipping out cash to buy it, that's how the fuck they keep their customers and have all that money to buy Katy Perry and whoever else feels like selling out for a day. I hate all advertising, but the type that emphasises how bad having something considered unattractive is, just to push their shitty little product in your face and back it up with all the before/after pictures with the frowns and smiles, makes me wanna throw something at the screen. Corporations are fucking shallow. /rant.
I haven't had any accutane today btw. I'm considering giving it the flick. As far and few as those kind of cases are, if it fucks me up it's gonna be the worst case of 'I told you so' in the world. I couldn't live like that dude, it's bad enough having gastro. And it's gonna be so stressful as well now, beyond having lips that look like I kissed a furnace. I'm sure the "minor" side effects get a lot worse than what I have now, but I'd still deal with them if I know my back will look like a back at the end of it, but thinking those stomach cramps might be my insides exploding is gonna fuck with me.

Sorry, I'm getting a little off track now. I do vaporise my meth, but I use it very infrequently, once every month or so. When I do, I can feel my skin getting greasy and the next day I end up with a face full of pus. Can't bitch obviously. I drink maybe one or two days a week, varying amounts. I might have 2 or 3, I might have half a slab. Only on weekends, it's not good for gym even then. I'd try antibiotics cos I've heard of others using them with success, but I'd like to know the name so I can look into them a little bit. Any creams that might help would be appreciated too. Vitamins? Would zinc really help? And also God forbid if I quit drinking and smoking shard would it really help in the long term as well as with next day or two breakouts?
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks again for input guys.

Edit, I got that guido, will start trying every damn thing I can before I resort to isotretanoin

If anyone has bad acne try a mega dose of B5. It works for some people and carries no risk like Accutane. You take 4-6 grams of B5 until your acne begins to vanish or dissapear and then you switch to a maintenance dose of 2-3 grams. You also have to take a b12 supplement because the large amount of B5 lowers B12 levels in the body.

Combine that with showering daily, exfoliating, moisturizing, tea tree oil on trouble spots, and cleaning your pillow case and bed linens weekly and you will be free of blemishes.

It all works. And it works good. Technically I should be covered in acne from all the anabolic androgenic steroids I take and the amount of thermogenics that cause me to sweat but my skin is amazingly clear and smooth.

It doesn't happen overnight but in two months your skin will clear up.

This man sees and speaks the truth.

Why's that? Dunno about your acne, but mine's a bitch...
Obviously meth isn't helping it, but neither is accutane at this point.

This is common among stim users, but you can buffer your skins health by staying extremely hydrated, which is a must overall anyways. Also apply lotion after showering, especially at night, and take plenty of vitamins. I had this problem and the above helped get rid of the problem, though I am prone to oily skin, so even with stims, the dryness wasn't too bad.

Accutane was the worst drug I have ever had the misfortune of being prescribed. I took it 7 years ago when I was 14. I was constantly depressed, sunlight was horrible, and the dry skin and lips were ridiculous. You'll soon find out that regular lotion and chapstick won't work. I was using straight vaseline multiple times a day and I was still bleeding constantly from cracked skin. Really listen to your body while on this med. It's usually a last resort, and I'm sure you've been on the "typical" medicine merry-go-round for treatment of your acne. I currently suffer from IBS secondary to accutane use, but I'm 100% certain that my acne would still be vicious and ever present if I hadn't gone on the medicine. Although the IBS side effect wasn't known when I was taking it, I guess one has to weigh the positives and negatives. Do I want to be stuck with this GI condition (granted, it's much better than a IBD diagnosis, but still sucks) or do I want to wake up with blood on my sheets/clothes and live with constant scarring of my face, back, chest, and arms? Take at your own risk.
_____
As for drug use, I wasn't a heavy drinker at the time, but all the times I did drink went smoothly. I was a pothead and used various pills (opioids/benzos mainly, some amphetamines) with minimal side effects. Just watch out on stimulant use b/c the normal depression that occurs with comedowns off (meth)amphetamines/cocaine/whatever might be exponentially worse. I was never suicidal on the medicine, just constantly down and stressed (I always remember crying over math homework if I couldn't get the question right the first time around. Normally I don't cry at all, let alone for a goddamn math problem, but that medicine screwed me in the mind...)

JSnake

Did your dad take Accutane before you were born or was it after? Please let me know. Thank you.

<common sense> extremely dangerous drug A. + ridiculously dangerous drug B. = ???? </common sense >

JSnake

Did your dad take Accutane before you were born or was it after? Please let me know. Thank you.

Interesting, are you wondering whether the genetic damage from Accutane can be passed on to offspring or cause birth defects or something?

I found this info on another forum that I thought you might be interested in (I just added the NSFW tags for size):

NSFW:
Acne is a keratin problem. So to fix acne you need to change the way DNA replicates for the keratin process to be brought to normal in patient with acne (having keratin problems). Roaccutane is the best known retinoic acid when it comes to keratin problems. So where is the problem with Accutane? Well the problem with Accutane is that unfortunaltely it doesn’t act only on the Keratin gene. It also acts to a lesser extent on many other genes. Here comes the side effects.

We’ve seen that Accutane acts on the keratin gene. It changes the way it replicates. That’s why the people get dryer skin and no more acne, they also get peeling of the lips, hands, bleeding of the noose, dry scalp, dry skin, eye irritation. But these symptoms aren’t that harsh. And even if some stay long term it isn’t a problem for acne sufferers. Accutane leaves in the cells receptors small traces of retinoic acids for very long term. That’s the reason Accutane is considered a permanent cure to acne. Very small amount of it (we’re talking about micrograms) are left on cells receptors for long term. That’s why even after cessation of the treatment the acne is still gone.

The other side effects:

Bone pain : this one comes from the change in the replication and transcription of the GLA matrix protein gene. Accutane affects this gene.

Low blood sugar : this one comes from the change in the replication and transcription of Phosphoenol pyruvate gene. Accutane affects this gene.

Teratogenicity (means messes with the foetus growth). This one comes from the change in the replication and transcription of the HOX 1,6 gene. Accutane affects this gene.

Insomnia, depression suicidal thoughts, muscle twitching….. This one comes from the change in the replication and transcription of the Dopamine receptor D2 gene. Accutane affects this gene.

Weight loss (unable to gain weight back), weight gain. This one comes from the change in the replication and transcription of the Growth hormone gene. Accutane affects this gene.

And so on.

Now why do Accutane causes terrible side effects to some and not so terrible side effects in most? There are mainly two reasons :

- Accutane is isotretinoin : a synthetic retinoic acid that is supposed to only affect the keratin gene. It does affect all the other genes but to a lesser extent.

- Once Accutane is introduced in the body, damage is starting to be done to the body. Cells dies at a greater rate or grow at an anarchic rate. Most people can repair the damage so the rate at which cells are repaired is greater than the rate at which cells are damaged. Remember that each day millions of cells are created and millions of cells are dying. Accutane in some people elicits a greater damage rate and the body with time is no longer able to repair the damage at the same rate it is done. That’s why some people have reported side effects from Accutane years after they stopped the drug.

This is how Accutane works for getting rid of acne and also how it elicits in some people terrible side effects. Once you have taken Accutane the way your DNA is transcripted and replicated is modified, it is just like you are genetically modified. That’s why you don’t have acne anymore but bottom line, that’s why some experience terrible and devastating side effects.

Now that you know the whole truth about the drug, it is your choice to take it or not.