• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Acamprosate Calcium and NMDA antagonism

Speed King

Bluelighter
Can anyone shed light on acamprosate Calcium aka Camprall? When I used to drink a lot, I stopped and was given Camprall. Within two days, my brain was shockingly straightened out. I've been interested in this substance ever since.

I'd like to find out more info on mechanism of action. I'd like to experament with this drug, but I don't know how it would effect the medication I am on. I'm mainly concerned about the interaction with the Valium I take. GABArgic wise, I take Lyrica also.

If those medications won't be negatively effected by the Camprall, I really wanted to take it to see the effect it would have on my dextroamphetamine dosages and tolerance.

The fact that it is said to be an NMDA antagonist has my interest also. I know this isn't K, but it's a NMDA antagonist.

Any information would be appreciated.

Acamprosate (N-Acetylhomotaurine) seems to be active on its own, and with active metabolite too (Homotaurine)

I know not much about NMDA Antagonistic properties, but apparently N-acetylhomotaurine doesn't bind to GABA receptor as a GABA-analog,
instead they bind on other place but change the receptor shape in a way that it can leak out Cl- ion without a need of GABA itself to bind at.

Its supposed metabolite Homotaurine is a partial agonist at GABA-B receptor of very high binding affinity but limited (ceiling) activation efficiency.
It can displace a full agonist like GABA(itself), Gabapentinoids (phenibut,baclofen,et al) out and bind itself in instead, but with limited activation of receptor.

It sounds like it may interfere with benzodiazepine binding. This is a very interesting substance.'

I take Lyrica also. '

Although prelim screening says neurontin(gabapentin) and lyrica(pregabalin) has no affinity at GABA receptor but alpha2delta calcium channel, later study on find it is an agonist and does bind to some types of GABA-B receptor.
(ironically the one designed to be gaba-b agonist like phenibut/baclofen has activity at a2d Ca++ too) so they are now grouped as same type called "Gabapentinoid"

I'm still under impression that homotaurine should be able to "kick lyrica out" of GABA-B receptor and bind itself in instead but with much lower activity.

^So, the Camprall shouldn't mess with GABA A receptors?

When I used to take them for drinking, the dose was 3, 333mg pills, twice a day,

Today, I took one 333mg pill. I figured I'd ease in slow and take note if I feel different. If I have no side effects, I'll increase dose to therapeutic dose.

I'm also wondering if this will have any effect on amphetamines. So far so good.

IIRC it works via antagonism of the polyamine regulatory binding site of the NMDAr. Don't know much about this target however.

its difficult to get this one. most doctors are incompetent to prescribe it, they always prescribe benzos for alcohol withdrawal instead

Like I just told someone else, get some information from the company and articles from a excellent sources. They will have no comeback if you are honest. If they are still wrong in your eyes go up to their bosses or go to drug rehabilitation. This drug is harm reduction. Call camprall directly and ask them to provide some doctor's in your area. Fin.

Last edited:
We aren't normally one to provide sources, however, Forest Labs would be your point of contact if you are in the USA.

Wise rule to follow. I have some bottles marked Forest. I look from that end.

Hi, hope you dont mind me asking.. but Im wondering how your doing or how it went with the Camprall? I just got a Rx for it and wanted to look into it a little more before I take it.
Thanks! Im new on here, so hope I did this post appropriately!:)

Asecin is right, acamprosate has got to be more effective/safe than ethanol...

FDA requires all sorts of side effects to be reported on white-papers. It's not anything unusual, go look up the whitepaper for aspirin or acetaminophen.

I'd imagine that part of the "side effects" may be misattributed to the psychological impact of EtOH withdrawal, same as the "side effects" with varencicline (Chantix/Champix) for tobacco w/d.

I have taken Acamprosate off and on for the past several months. From the research I've seen, they don't truly know how it works. Most of the publications agree that it is somehow restoring the glutamatergic neurotransmission back to what it might have been before alcohol abuse damaged it. Now the research seems to be focusing more on Ca+ modulation. The theories that it worked on GABAergic transmission seem to be out of fashion

In any case, from my experience it may have some mild effect on cravings for alcohol. it is by no means a drug to be used for detoxing. It is purely for people who have stopped drinking (or want to see if it helps them cut down). The drug company's selling point is that it will "prevent cravings and relapse." Personally, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I had not actually realized until now that they knew so little about it, so I feel foolish forking over the cash to take so many pills a day. Honestly, Wellbutrin worked far better for me in terms of alcohol craving, and that wasn't even why I was taking it.

As for GABA transmission - what I briefly read supports what I experience. No effect at all. When I first started taking it, I could have sworn that it calmed me a little bit, but that was just placebo. And you can take it with benzos without issue. Someone asked about taking it with Zyprexa - who knows? And wouldn't it be nice if they looked into that sort of thing before they sold it.

Thus, after all that hot air, all I can say about Campral is that I have a lot in my drawer, purchased via a doctors prescription used on a Canadian site to make it cheaper. The stuff I get is made in Switzerland and it is the very same box they give me at the Walgreen's down the street. When I stop drinking for a month or two, I take it. And when I first started taking it, I really felt like it reduced the amount that I drank. But if you've been drinking a long time, eventually one way or another, you can get back to baseline levels of intake if you aren't seeking other forms of treatment.

I'd love to hear what anyone else finds out about it. Any evidence that it truly improves brain function and/or decreases use in studies that have sample sizes worth looking at would be great to see. Here are a few links I find for it. I have to admit that I thought it was directly from the journal Nature, which gave it credence. But it isn't

https://www.nature.com/articles/npp2013264
https://www.nature.com/articles/npp2013272

I sampled it back in 1999 (I think) when I was younger and even more stupid. A friend who was drying out gave me a few. Nothing much to note. The clomethiazole he was given, however..... the closest you can get to barbs. If your life is hell and you seek a void, a couple of 'gray eggs' certainly did the trick. He ended up injecting them! You have to be quick, the freebase melts plastic!

Seriously though, it's a jack of all trades (complete couplet to your satisfaction).

what, you got swiss made campral?? wow, the stuff i got is from india and i noticed that from my other medications, all pill generics i have taken from india, dont really work as well.
now, i cant really compare it to anything else since all the stuff i got is from india, but since it didnt really help me much i suspect it could just be bad batch from a country that has very horrible controls when it comes to food and drugs. also i checked the inactives, it contains dozen of shitty things like sodium laureth sulfate and all kinds of colorants and additives that you only see in products not intended for consumption!
now, how did you find the swiss version and im curious to check that one myself

what, you got swiss made campral?? wow, the stuff i got is from india and i noticed that from my other medications, all pill generics i have taken from india, dont really work as well.
now, i cant really compare it to anything else since all the stuff i got is from india, but since it didnt really help me much i suspect it could just be bad batch from a country that has very horrible controls when it comes to food and drugs. also i checked the inactives, it contains dozen of shitty things like sodium laureth sulfate and all kinds of colorants and additives that you only see in products not intended for consumption!
now, how did you find the swiss version and im curious to check that one myself

I believe it was produced in Spain. The livery had stickers in English on the box and a (computer) printed PII (patient information insert). He did find them helpful but the benefit wained. That is when he was given the drug of last resort - clomethiazole.

Believe it nor not, 20 years ago I was drinking 2 bottles of vodka per day (1.5l) and the doctor gave me chlorodiazepoxide (Librium) and it was USELESS. I ordered 90 Heminevrin from Austria (if memory serves) and spent 16 days reducing the dose. I didn't touch alcohol for 7 years and even now it is at the 1 beer per week level. That I had to use such a risky drug meant I leaped at the chance to do the QSAR work on the pyridinyl benzodiazepines. I see pyrazolam appeared after the paper was published but it was the alcohol replacement we were seeking. In the end, QI-II-66 is possibly the best agent known to science to help people dry out. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the '2 chloro derivative would be even longer lived thus less euphoric (open to abuse) and really save lives.

I send my heartfelt wishes that you get where you want to be. People don't realize that alcohol is worse than opioids but I know it's hard... but if you want things to change, they will. If you crack one day, don't give up. Never give up giving up.

I'm surprised chlormethiazole is the drug of last resort. It is wonderful stuff IMO. I don't take for alcohol related reasons, I rarely drink enough to get drunk.

I take it off-license for seizure prophylaxis and also, I get a secondary script of the same drug, for use when a seizure threatens or just beginning and I can still do something about it. A couple of those wee ethereal-fermenting overripe apple/metallic-smelling plastic-attacking eggs and bang, seizure stopped, as if hit with a .50 caliber raufoss round to the back of the head. Efficient in the extreme, and after several years of daily use as a preventative, even if I stop for several days abruptly, I am only back where I started, without seizure prophylaxis etc. No withdrawal syndrome. And it is SO fast acting. As soon as them wee grey eggs burst open in my throat (one can feel it, as a kinda warming, pleasant burn sensation, as well as when it comes on, a tingling in the back of the bridge of one's nose) then moments later, easily as fast as a shot of spirit alcohol or a spoonful of oral diethyl or diisopropyl ether, its active, and easily able to stop my seizures dead in their tracks, as if shot down.

Librium/chlordiazepoxide, yeah agreed, its possibly the most weak, shittiest benzo on the books. At least here, it is in the UK, that or the awful, awful oxazepam (I don't like benzos that produce a significant amount of oxazepam as a metabolite as the stuff is prone to causing me paradoxical reactions which are quite uncomfortable.

Ironically, reading this, I'm on 4 of those chlormethiazole gelcaps, And I'd say they are more a slightly brownish grey rather than grey. Very nice stuff. A barbiturate binding site allosteric positive modulator at GABAa, but without the memory and headfucking antiglutamatergic effects of barbs. Duration-intermediate, short-medium end of intermediate. About right, really. And as long as it isn't in overdose (and it shouldn't be consumed with any more alcohol, than a low dose combined with a beer, maybe two if your used to it and know your limits well, and are not using it for alcoholism treatment.)

Unfortunately its somewhat hard to get in the UK (I mean, if a doctor has printed you out and signed a script for it, actually translating the script into a glass bottle or pot full of heminevrin capsules can be difficult, as a lot of pharmacies do not seem to stock it. One near me tells me their supplier doesn't carry chlormethiazole, so I have to go up out of my ways to a further away pharmacy to get my scripts for chlormethiazole, morphine, oxy and nitrazepam at the same place, plus my stomach meds and tizanidine (muscle relaxer I take for nerve damage-induced muscle spasm in one leg that is really severe at times without) and clonidine (that I take to stop me getting overloads, and it does help protect me against overloading nicely too)

(the nitrazepam I only use occasionally, its having been accidentally put on a repeat, indefinite prescription after I told my doc I needed some anxiolytic, preferably nitraz, for a specific set period of time, during which I was facing some rather nasty potential events, of a kind that have left me traumatized in the past and had to do some psychedelic-catalyzed self work on PTSD a a result. It got put on repeat by accident it seems, and I've collected it ever since, but I only use it when my pain meds run low (I'm a chronic pain patient), and take about 70mg over two days or the entire 70mg over a day and night, to TRY and get a bit of sleep, what with my hips hurting as badly as they do, when the IM morphine and the oxy wear thin the night before a refill, to avoid becoming benzo dependent)

Got to say, if given the choice between a benzo and chlormethiazole, chlormethiazole beats the everloving screaming shit out of any benzo, ever, gives a nice clear headed high if used (CAREFULLY) recreationally, no morning after brainfog, kills my seizures stone fucking dead..does need storing in a glass container though. Oh and never leave the 'eggs' out on plastic either, enough vapor comes out of them if they aren't kept cold to burn holes in oh, say, computer keyboards that look just like small chlormethiazole caps, and you need to gouge out the capsule, plastic and all, cut away the plastic with a scapel if you are to save that dosage unit.

What is the experience with campral/acamprosate subjectively like? pleasant? neutral? unpleasant? Been curious about it for a while. For say glutamatergic insult, does it seem like it might be helpful?

According to the Nature paper linked above, the effects of campral may be due to the calcium and not the acamprosate anion... presumably you could try supplementing with calcium antacids in lieu of campral and have similar effects on alcohol dependency, as dumb as that sounds.

I would be interested to see if acamprosate plus sulbutiamine or pyrithioxine would be any more effective. Thiamine deficiency can cause a bunch of Bad Shit in alcohol overuse so megadosing with thiamine prodrugs seems like a good response.