• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Abilify- Would It Help With Nighttime Racing Thoughts/Vivid Dreams?

Asparagus_Prince

Bluelighter
Here lately I've been sleeping very lightly. I feel like I'm thinking while I'm sleeping. My dreams have been very vivid and powerful too.

Someone told me that Abilify might be good to take at night. I'm under the impression Abilify kinda erases thoughts and quiets the mind, so this makes sense to me.

Thoughts? I'm just thinking of using it very occasionally and not every day. If it's a 24 hour thing and doesn't wear off by the morning, I probably won't be interested.

And BTW, I know why I'm having trouble at night. I've been chewing nicotine gum a lot lately and that causes the light sleep and vivid dreams for me.

Maybe try cutting back on the nicotine gum first? If it's a replacement for smoking and you think you'll go right back to cigarettes then don't do it, but I would definitely try cutting back on it first

Maybe try cutting back on the nicotine gum first? If it's a replacement for smoking and you think you'll go right back to cigarettes then don't do it, but I would definitely try cutting back on it first
Yeah I know that's the obvious thing to do. But in the evenings I end up giving in to the gum too often.

Abilify is very activating for some people and usually taken first thing in the morning. In fact my doctor recommended I take low dose Seroquel at night as well as Abilify in order to get quality sleep.

However, Abilify is especially good at stopping/reducing ruminations or obsessive thoughts and is approved for that purpose in many places. That was the reason I was first prescribed it and my very distressing obsessive thoughts (which often occurred at night and greatly disrupted my sleep and created a lot of anxiety) cleared up almost completely within a week of starting it.

Abilify didn't really work out for me, not sure why, but it made me very depressed. Low dose Seroquel causes a complete blackout for about 6 hours, works everytime no tolerance build up and no more rumination - maybe worth exploring.

Yeah, I think I'll pass. I didn't realize it was like other anti-depressants in the sense that you have to take it consistently for it to work. I just wondered if it would work "as needed", as a sleeping pill every once in a while.