• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Abcsess or maybe not?

Myonlywussypuff

Greenlighter
This is my first post here, so I'm not sure if it's in the right place. Also I have read a ton about abcsess online. I have googled just about every word string I can and am rereading the same things I figured I might come across some new insight this way.

So about four days ago boyfriend IVd some heroin and his arm swelled up. It was noticeable but nothing too crazy. Two days ago a large lump and swelling right at injection site (crook of arm). It was also slightly red very painful and no warmer than the crook of other elbow. On day two or three he started running hot water over the lump. The swelling went away completely and the large lump turned into a small pea sized hard lump. Still painful not red or warm. However now this morning another large lump appeard above crook of elbow/ bottom of bicep. Again large very painful and swollen. He doesn't believe it was red until after running it under hot water. He plans on waiting to see if the second bumps gets a bit smaller as the first did and plans on going to the er if it does not improve in two days.

Sorry for the lengthy post but he wanted to make sure I got all the details in, as to make a more informed comment. Can this be something other than an abcsess. He is also brand new to heroin and IV two an a half months tops.

Thank you for any helpful insight and for keeping any negative comments to yourself.

It could be anything from a miss to injecting contaminated product or unknown substances and while it sounds like an abscess it may be something else going on but seriously he should consider seeing a doctor to know with certainty. Something small can turn very bad very fast and if he needs antibiotics/treatment then time is of the essence. There are many stories on here of people losing limbs, becoming septic, having clots, and dying just to name a few simply by not taking medical concerns from IV use more seriously. Yes it's humbling to see a doctor and admit the truth but it's better to have busted pride then a busted arm.

Sounds like a possible abscess. When in doubt, assume so. Medical treatment is quite simple, in & out, 99+% of the time unless you're coming very late.