• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Wirelessly Controlled Pharmacy Dispenses Drugs From Within Your Abdomen

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
In the future, implantable computerized dispensaries will replace trips to the pharmacy or doctor’s office, automatically leaching drugs into the blood from medical devices embedded in our bodies. These small wireless chips promise to reduce pain and inconvenience, and they’ll ensure that patients get exactly the amount of drugs they need, all at the push of a button.
In a new study involving women with osteoporosis, a wirelessly controlled implantable microchip successfully delivered a daily drug regimen, working just as well, if not better, than a daily injection. It could be an elegant solution for countless people on long-term prescription medicines, researchers say. Patients won’t have to remember to take their medicine, and doctors will be able to adjust doses with a simple phone call or computer command.

Pharmacies-on-a-chip could someday dispense a whole suite of drugs, at pre-programmed doses and at specific times, said Robert Langer, the Institute Professor at the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT, who is a co-author on the study.

“It really depends on how potent the drugs are,” he said. “There are a number of drugs for things like multiple sclerosis, cancer, and some vaccines that would be potent enough.”

Langer and fellow MIT professor Michael Cima developed an early version of an implantable drug-delivery chip in the late 1990s. They co-founded a company called MicroCHIPS Inc., which administered the study being published today in Science Translational Medicine. The team decided to work with osteoporosis patients because the disease, and the drug used to treat it, presented a series of special opportunities, Langer said. A widely used drug called teriparatide can reverse bone loss in people with severe osteoporosis, but it requires a daily injection to work properly. This means up to 75 percent of patients give up on the therapy, Langer said. It’s also a very potent drug that requires microgram doses, making it an ideal candidate for a long-term dispensary implant.

cont at
http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...ntable-pharma-chip-delivers-drugs-inside-body

Hack it to dispense mooaaarrrr!!!!

Pretty much this. It's never a good idea. It can't really be "tiny" and a pharmacy. I'd rather take pills than have anything implanted no matter the size or convenience.

all i'm thinking is that these chips to be worthwhile, are gonna be holding well over a lethal dose.

Say you get hit by a car or into a fight or something and it breaks? fuuu..

edit - ^ good oad sonic

So if doctors can change the dose with a computer command what is to stop randoms from changing the dose, could you walk past a car in the street and then get killed by someone giving you an overdose from their laptop or whatever in their car?

Yep its insane. I heard about 8 months ago robots are being tested to replace human pharmacists/techs. What is this world comn to. next thing robots will be flipping burgers in mcdonalds

how much drugs/ how many different ones can really be kept safely in the body? how do you refill these? surgery every time or will there be holes for needles like the matrix?

all i'm thinking is that these chips to be worthwhile, are gonna be holding well over a lethal dose.

Say you get hit by a car or into a fight or something and it breaks? fuuu..

edit - ^ good oad sonic
This was my thought, what if it wasn't a lethal dose just a terrifyingly high dose of any stimulant or the like. Unfun times that would be. Seriously though I can't believe no one would have thought of this, it just seems way to risky. Soon we'll have a law commercial like "If you had a plastic pharmacy installed in your stomach and it exploded, malfunctioned, burst, or just generally fucked up, please call the law offices of XXX.". ;)