Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

A Timeline for Recovery from MDMA - Two Years and Counting

First Bad Comedown

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelight!

I have just reached a milestone that seemed an eternity away.
Today is officially the two year anniversary of my first post on Bluelight.
Earlier this month, on the 3rd of November, I reached the two year anniversary of the night I lost everything to MDMA.

I find myself reluctant to write a long post reviewing my history, in part because those who are interested need only search and also because I now find thinking, analyzing, and writing to be less rewarding.
If you had known me before, you would understand why this is such a difficult statement to make.

That isn't to say it is without reward entirely.
I can imagine pushing myself and accomplishing pages upon pages of words like before, but I am simply not driven to do it.

I am here out of obligation.

Long ago before my many long-winded essays on this site, I suffered the realization that detailed accounts of recovery from MDMA brain damage were sparse or entirely absent.
Not just from Bluelight, but from many places on the internet.

In my time of great suffering, I needed nothing more than reassurance - in the form of a detailed accounts of the recovery process. I needed it so badly I was extremely angry and disappointed with this community as a result.

Despite the millions of users of the world's most popular and most amazing drug, Ecstasy, most accounts were topical or too brief. I found many that discussed the immense anxiety and 'brain-zaps' but hardly anything about the continuous and ongoing process that follows.

How could this be?

Two explanations immediately arise:
First, most MDMA users do not experience severe depression/anxiety that lasts months in a row.
This would be an indication that truly definitive brain damage is not occurring in the majority users.
Second, those that do experience true neurotoxicity find their recovery to be so difficult that they are unwilling or unable to communicate their story to the outside world.

Within the many medical journals, individual case-studies can be found that suggest a great untold suffering from the view-point of the treating physician. These stories are lacking in detail, falling short of the reality in which the patients find themselves. Yet they are a confirmation nonetheless: MDMA can cause severe suffering for a minority of its users.

Due to its persistent and legendary popularity, users of MDMA will increasingly turn to the online community for information regarding its safe use and the consequences of ignoring the cardinal rules.

In my opinion, the Bluelight community has a unique opportunity and obligation to inform and protect those who seek advice on MDMA. Beyond simply discrediting studies that show the neurotoxic potential of MDMA, Bluelight should focus on sharing the truths that are found - even when they are challenging to interpret or damning to the legendary 'safe' status of MDMA.

Also, Bluelight should provide hope for those who are truly desperate after experiencing MDMA toxicity.
It should reassure those who are likely to recover quickly and counsel those who are destined to suffer a worse fate.

This hope can only be truly disseminated with detailed accounts of recovery.
Simply saying that it gets better is inadequate.
These people want to hear a recollection of the suffering and a description of how it improved.

While my own desire for data seemed to be inexhaustible, I found anecdotal reports to be extremely significant. They filled in the gaps left gaping open by research studies.
What is the subjective experience of having your brain's serotonin network collapse and then rewire itself?

That is the aim of this thread - one of only two that I have created.
I am calling upon all BL members with personal experience regarding the consequences of MDMA use.
While I welcome posts arguing for the benefits of MDMA experiences, I am particularly interested in hearing the accounts of those who have been damaged by the drug.

The responses may range from moderate levels of anxiety to stories of great suffering and psychosis.
Perhaps we may hear from family or friends of people who have died from MDMA use.

It is my wish to give hope to those just beginning the journey of recovery.
From the looks of BL posts over the last year, more and more young people are finding their way to the ED forum with horror stories. (I firmly believe this is a consequence of escalated pill size)

It is also my wish to give a warning call to those enraptured with their favorite love drug.
Some accounts may suggest a truly permanent state of dysfunction which renders life meaningless for its victims.

Consequences await us all, but for some they are beyond measure.
For most there is hope.

Please post your stories of recovery.
I will endeavor to write my own in the days that follow.

First Bad Comedown.

fucking <3 you FBC, you've written enough in ED to fill a book. Honestly, I think you could write one ;)

As you know, my brain was basically bent over and raped by MDMA and methamphetamine. Since then I've recovered greatly, but not without going through profound suffering and lasting damages directly related to my abuse. It is likely to follow me for the rest of my life...

I believe it's been 16 months since my month long comedown, somewhere around there. I am SO much better... and it all seemingly happened within a day. One mushroom trip brought me to my God, and I've almost completely left my problems in the dust.... I don't want to turn this into a advertisement for psychedelic based religion (PM me for that lol), but the mushrooms really helped me confront my problems and get to the bottom of my depression. It is still there, but it is no longer crippling me like it was before.

MDMA abuse set off my underlying Manic Depression off like a fucking time bomb.... luckily with some serious will power and determination, I've been able to pick up a majority of the pieces.

I'd say I'm about 85% through my recovery. I suspect being so young that my body regrew the destroyed 5-HT terminals faster than would normally happen in someone 20+

Would any of you try MDMA again under any circumstances?

Already have several times with great results... but if I even roll a day over once a month, or take a tiny bump over 250mg I will feel like shit for weeks after.

I have to be extremely careful and follow every rule of Harm Reduction there is, which is why I'm so dedicated to it. It was only after 8 months of abstinence from the drug that I risked it again though

^
That is a very revealing question.

I will delay my own answer until I have offered a more substantial post first.
But I encourage those contributing, especially if you have a more serious story, to answer this question.
I think some very basic truths about brain function lie within the answer.

Thanks, Folley.
Your support is always appreciated.

I was a very light user less than 7 times in my life spread out over six years. I never rolled more than once every 7-9 month, more like once a year max. 5 years ago I was a daily pot smoker but quit due to anxiety. I am a moderate drinker (one big night a week) with an occasional weekend bender here or there. I occasionally would use cocaine (split a gram one night once a month) pre me frying.

May 2012: my buddies came to town for my birthday. We hit the bar the first night and did some blow. The next day we went out for some day drinking and at about 10:30 pm I took a unweighted dose (approx 100-200 mg) of "Molly". The next morning at about 6 am, I took another 100-200 mg. i felt a bit of energy and a sudden rush of extreme depersonalization hit me as we were on the bus to the festival. I didnt freak out or have a panic attack, rather I tried to enjoy it and started drinking again. Little did I know that I had just opened the gates to hell.

Three days later I still felt extremely disassociated, much different from the normal post e blues. I touched that I would get super sweaty easily and just felt like shit at work. I didn't freak out too much as I just assumed that I was experiencing the post festival bender blues.

The hangover had left but the DP/DR didn't. This gave rise to TERRIBLE anxiety terrible feelingand I thought my life was over.

For the next two months I suffered severe DP/DR accompanied with panic attacks. I lost nearly 20 lbs and my sex drive. I was terrified of doing anything except stay in bed. I was very concerned that I would lose my job and my life. I went to the GP and eventually a shrink where I learned how to live with the DP/dr.

August 2012: DP is gone, anxiety is gone. Still suffer from DR (mostly blurry vision) and general fatigue. Two steps forward, two steps back.

Dec 2012: still have DR but I can drink caffeine and alcohol without any problems.

My takeaway: this has been a terrible experience but as time went on, I slowly got better. My personal opinion is that this is a stress related issue, the substance I took triggered some traumatic somatic condition, instead of neurotoxicity. I did not experience any OD symptoms just disassociation and anxiety about being dissociated.

Once I calmed down and accepted my condition, the anxiety went away completely. My cognition and emotions also appear to have returned to normal.

I think the dr will eventually fade away and i will one day be back to 100% normal but it is almost at the point where I don't notice/care about it. No one can tell there is anything wrong with me and if I explain what happened people don't really understand.

There is no magic cure, you just have to wait it out. Working out was a nice out for me. I searched high and low for supplements to fix me, honestly nothing made a difference. Mindfulness and time was the only cure.

Going out and not letting the symptoms control my life was key for feeling better. Social drinking also helped. Stay away from Stims and weed.

Will I ever do E again? Probably not. If I fully recover I MAY consider it, while following all HR rules: TEST it, no redosing, etc.

BL and FBC have helped me a lot and I am more than happy to pay it forward.

Edit: added more info. Sorry re typos wrote this on iPhone.

Last edited:
hello yes it is very risky but i just hope it work out i do have and want to give it out .if you know what i am saying then contact me [email protected] can send it to you form any location you want .crack.coke.ans some very good steroid

Are you having a laugh?
I will post in this thread when I have more time!

FBC You are the man.. It is a honor if we meet personaly sometime under any circunstances.. Thanks for everything..

I'm currently experiencing my first post MDMA depression. By far the worst side effect of any drug I have ever taken. Rolling twice with only one day apart wasn't a good idea. My head is buzzing so bad. I feel like I want to curl up and die. Eating takes the dizziness away for hour but then it returns :|

^ perhaps try some aniracetam and fish oil dude? It helps a lot. along with a healthy diet and exercise.

I have experienced my fair share of consequences from MD usage. The worst time was when I took about 100mg of MDA mixed with ~100mg MDMA. It was near the end of a 3 month longe binge on various psychedelics and mostly ketamine/MDMA. I'd rolled 8 times in 2 months.

Anyway, I basically lost my shit on the girl I was rolling with, thought she was a demon and started accusing her of trying to have my baby. I'd only known the girl for a few months, and after telling her she was a demon I sprinted out of my apartment and wandered the streets, paranoid out of my mind. I even knocked on someone's door (this is around 2am) and asked them to let me stay there, because I was in great danger. They told me through the door that they were going to call the cops. I ran from the house, and walked quickly down the street. Since I lived in a nicer area, the cops didn't have much to do, and they came quick. I could see headlights coming around the bend and so dashed into a bush. Sure enough, it is the cops. I run down the street once they are gone and find a small brick wall I can lay behind. It is just tall enough to hide me when I laid sideways, so I curled up in a ball and hoped they didn't find me. I couldn't believe I was having such a bad experience; prior to this I'd thought of these drugs as something that produced only positive, euphoric experiences.

I laid there all night, as the cops went round and round the streets looking for me, using the driveway only a few feet from me to repeatedly do u-turns and continue the search.

Moderation is the key.

FBC, you are the reason i stopped abusing MDMA. i think unfortunately your advise came too late and how i wish i had of heard it earlier. you did however most certainly stop me from committing suicide as i came to an understanding of my "out of nowhere" depression. prior to MDMA use i never suffered depression at this kind of level. you've given me hope that one day i may stabilise and become normal again, but in the meantime i am abusing other drugs heavily.

a year on as well and i only truly now understand what i have done to myself.

after my first two or three times using MDMA my comedown got gradually worse and worse, taking up to a week or two to recover, taking MDMA to try and cure my "depression" i thought was simply natural but actually was due to MDMA use. i would take 2-3 tablets of MDMA every weekend, which gradually turned into every three days, two days and then my final trip - only then i came to BL for help, and FBC you were there to explain why i was experiencing my depression. i was depressed for the next month, contemplating suicide and simply being unable to communicate with the world and felt little to no pleasure from anything at all - even masterbation was laborious and stressful. i then started heavily self medicating using opiates, benzos and amphetamines. after 6 months abusing those drugs i stopped, but was still faced with the depression for what seems like no apparent reason but i trace back to MDMA abuse. i had a brief period of sobriety, lasting around 2-3months but was again depressed during this period. however, i was not as depressed as i was prior to use of opiates etc though (the month after my last MDMA trip) , showing i may have recovered somewhat. i have consequently relapsed on drugs again and don't have intentions of quitting soon, but MDMA was 100% the reason i exposed myself to these drugs i thought i would never touch. the depression (and what seems like an everlasting one) from my abuse pushed me to use hard drugs to attempt to get some feeling back, or i would have probably committed suicide a long time ago.

another thing that came with MDMA that i find humorous now - I HATE CHICKEN KATSU CURRY! i guess there's one thing to smile and laugh about. after popping two pills of MDMA and eating a katsu curry, i can never put one to my mouth without gagging again. even thinking about one now is making me feel nauseous.

how i wish i'd never touched MDMA. or how i wish i hadn't of been lulled into a false sense of security with it - people telling me it wasn't deadly or damaging. well they were clearly fucking wrong. FBC i hope you can portray the message that MDMA use comes with a price. nobody should take this drug lightly.

here's to a slow and painful recovery.

and to everyone that suggests i should have tried supplements, i did.
i tried 5-htp, fish oil, l-carnitine, every l-acid there is, SAM-e, magnesium, zinc, multivitamins you name the supplement to supposedly help with MDMA come downs or depression i've tried. they all didn't work.

and thank you again fbc.

i will never touch MDMA again in my life.

^^ haha no offense Cryptix, but you seem to have had quite a few psychotic breaks...

I'm currently experiencing my first post MDMA depression. By far the worst side effect of any drug I have ever taken. Rolling twice with only one day apart wasn't a good idea. My head is buzzing so bad. I feel like I want to curl up and die. Eating takes the dizziness away for hour but then it returns :|

What are you eating..? Eat food that is high in serotonin metabolites. Turkey, beans, seeds, nuts, bananas, fish and quite a few other foods are high in L-Tryptophan which is very important to serotonin production.

I was never really getting better sitting on my ass eating junk food all day. It wasn't until I started getting back out in the world, exercising and eating healthy that I've had any considerable improvements.

and to everyone that suggests i should have tried supplements, i did.
i tried 5-htp, fish oil, l-carnitine, every l-acid there is, SAM-e, magnesium, zinc, multivitamins you name the supplement to supposedly help with MDMA come downs or depression i've tried. they all didn't work.

haha... Yeah. That's why I basically tell people to never bother with supplements. You CAN'T just find a cure for MDMA in a pill. Healthy diet and exercise will do so much more than any of those supplements, and you won't have to worry about any side effects from doing it.

@ synthetix - let's not be too dramatic. you mention things like abusing other drugs heavily, yet complain also about a slow and painful recovery. Recovery doesn't really happen when you are doing/abusing other drugs. (this is coming from a fellow drug addict, although I am over 2 weeks clean from everything save pot.) MDMA definitely fucked me up but it's not SO bad if you eat a lot of green food, get a good amount of exercise, meditate, stretch, find something you are passionate about that isn't drugs, put more time and energy into your relationships with people; these are all things that have helped me. I wish you the best with you drug problems, they are a bitch.

@ folley - yeah after abusing every class of drug for over 4 years often on a daily basis it has caught up to me, and I am now at a time when I am ready to heal and begin using my spiritual gifts to help humanity. I definitely felt invincible for a long while there, but psychosis leaves one with quite a bad taste in the mouth. It's like wait, I was literally insane for a minute there.....It was some good times though lol

cryptix, i'm not being dramatic in the slightest. before my use of MDMA i had never experienced depression in the way i had. even when my father died i did not experience this type of depression that really fucked with my head to the point i couldn't do anything. i tried for a month to recover from my experience with MDMA, using supplements, trying to exercise (i would exercise three to four times a week) and get out of the house and eat healthily - i attempted to maintain relationships and conversations with people but to no avail. i was suicidal and felt empty. i turned to oxycodone first and it was the only thing that gave me any sort of relief or pleasure from my depression. i turned to amphetamines because i was diagnosed with ADHD as a child but never took the medication - and have started using dexedrine on a daily basis to help my mood and my ADHD. i still exercise three to four times a week and am technically in good medical condition fitness wise.

i have the most loving, caring and compassionate girlfriend in the world. she would do anything for me and i would do anything for her. i put all my time and effort into my relationship with her, but like i said, i took three months off of the oxycodone and dexedrine and low and behold my depression reappeared. i thought it was w/d from the oxy and amphetamine hence why i took three months off, but i was still in my depressed state, not as bad as previously (i had recovered somewhat, and still am), but at a level i couldn't bear and deal with.

i'm not being dramatic at all, when usually i am. in fact, i'm being honest.

Ate some bacon and eggs because their date was closing in. Will try something healthier tomorrow.

Does cannabis help or should I strictly stay away from everything until I feel fine again? As now I'll probably trip in 2 weeks but if I don't get any better I'll stay away from psychedelics. Lost my way in life bit before I took MDMA. Needed the trip to gain new direction but now I just got fucked in the ass by MDMA. It's easy to say "just get up and go to school" to myself but when the alarm rings my body does not respond...

edit: During times like this it majorly sucks ass to live alone. If only I had someone to force me wake up.

This is my story...

Predrug historial:
10 times ectasy powder, every 3 weeks, and everytime i did, the next 3 days i took 5htp just for recover.
On the 7th time i feel little tremblin in my teeth...thought that was normal, didnt mind to much about this...but maybe was the begginin of something going wrong:S..
The last time took like always 200mg powder (or less even.) and start to feel rare in the disco, but i could sleep welll...the next day woke up and everything ok...but in the night my heart started to pump fast and fast...my stomach streching.. i felt nervous...coudnt be ok sitting in the sofa...so i went to sleep...and the next day the stuff went on....so i was really worried.

Simptons : desrrealization, blurry vision, depression, anxierty, teeth and hand tremblin (really weird in the begginin, like parkinson), could feel safe, couldnt be alone, need somebody to speak all the time, only to watch the sun without glasses (dangeous but true) could relax me a little bit...in the same time back and jaw pain everyday got worse(now i know that was because of bruxism i got from the anxiety or dopamine problem maybe i dunno..), numb legs and arms when i woke up, sleep paralisis, nighmares, sex drive off the first weeks.

I went to the gp, prescribed me ssir first paxil, later lexapro , i started to feel better 2 weeks from the meds, then 2 weeks less good, 2 weeks better...and so on, like a rollecoaster..was worst in the morning and it got better in the night, i think is the normal cycle of everyone but you dont mind about it until you get important chemical unbalance in you brain (i mean too sert connection between neurons in limbic system) so the mood wave is bigger....and in the night i was almost "normal".

3 months ago i chose not take more meds by myself (ok...im not aimin anybody to refuse the medical advice...i just forgot to take it 3 days and i chose to going on to realised what will happen...and happened that i was ok without it, but please...always medical advise i settle) i said this to my gp, she was agree with that too. im taking omega3 everyday from this times...only that.

Nowadays i feel no anxiety, no depression, but! i have some bad days, maybe i had it before without mdma and so on i dont know, just bad days that i feel like i dont want to do nothing. I had bruxism because the anxiety..a very rare sickness that you get for anxiety and use to be forever, and can destroy you jaw, so im gettin the next weeks a mouth guard, trying not to destroy more my little destroyed jaw (i feel it different from the begginin of this weird experience) . Now bruxism could be my worst enemy, but anxiety and depression is almost forgotten :).

Last edited:
I can't believe this shit. I'm actually scared to go sleep. Haven't seen nightmares in years. Now I keep seeing some seriously fucked up shit.

Limbo of death and torture. I keep waking up in my own room only to realize I'm not yet awake. Imagine that for hundreds of times. When I finally woke up... Not going anywhere near my bed :<

Edit:

Around my 10th MDMA use. 1 Pill approx 130mg and another T+1h. Same set 2 days earlier. Last use before these 2 was over 2 months ago.

Last edited:
To the people posting about their recovey, could you maybe state briefly how it got so ?

I read accounts of people "taking ecstacy once a month for so long" or "every 3 weeks".

I really think this is a good thread-idea, but for HR purposes it would be nice to include how you were pushed over the edge. Dosage, frequency, lifestyle are all things that should be included, IMO.

My rules are:
Erowid: Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source
Shulgin: max 1.5mg/kg mg at T0h, max 0.5gmg/kg redose at T1h30.
Shulgin: Never more than "once a season". I broke this rule once: did it at a festival and then a month later at my BDAY. I am now on a 9month break to make up for it.

MDMA is intense, be careful.

Hi,

i will return soon to contribute. i am a bit short of time right now.

cheers

Hello Achten do you have exact sources for these quotes?

My rules are:
Erowid: Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source
Shulgin: max 1.5mg/kg mg at T0h, max 0.5gmg/kg redose at T1h30.
Shulgin: Never more than "once a season". I broke this rule once: did it at a festival and then a month later at my BDAY. I am now on a 9month break to make up for it.

The Shulgin quotes I have racked PIHKAL, TIHKAL, his lab notes and Future Drugs and not found any of it.

Any heads up massively appreciated.

By the way this post from FBC is awesome. I will update my own story soon. I am on month 13 of a might bad come down. I have had a coctail of meds and just come out of being sectioned in mental hospital so it has been quite a ride..