• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

A SOUTH-AMERICAN THREAD- for those below the US of A

Meet up/roll call threads/posts are not allowed anymore. Please read the rules (links to the bluelight user agreement and this specific forum's rules can be found in my sig)

the worst part of brazil is that they dont speak spanish down there..biggest country in SA yet they speak a language thats 5000 miles away in a different hemisphere

the worst part of brazil is that they dont speak spanish down there..biggest country in SA yet they speak a language thats 5000 miles away in a different hemisphere

Yeah but portugal is completely surrounded by spain- which is just as far away from south america. Technically portugal is closer because it's the south-western tip which is the direction that SA is in

thanks for the lesson but i knew all that..

but regardless, what was your point?

you said its wierd they speak portugese when portugal 5000 miles away and in a different hemisphere but so is spain so why would it make more sense for brazil or all the other SA countries to speak spanish, a language whose homeland is 5000 miles away and in a different hemisphere

i think is what he was sayin cuz thats what i was thinkin when i read your post, i just wasnt gonna comment

/colonialism

Last edited:
why? because spainsh is the main language of that entire continent, plus central america and mexico. ecept for like 3-4 countries and brazil is just the biggest one of them all..mahybe it has something to go like a mountian range that is the border of brazil and the countries to the west. and its just people didnt really cross the mountians and so the brazillians got isolated and didnt get concured by the spanish or just that the language never got there so people only knew what the portugese brought over... i know the andes are in that region but i dont know if brazil borders peru and chile or not cause if it did that might make sense that the local spanish speakers didnt travel all the way threw the mountians and interact with them and that the spanish didnt bother either cause they had the rest of the continent

'i guess ill do a little research and post back..prolly tomorrow

^^ like i said it just has to do with colonialism

england n france got north america, hence the US and Canad speaking english except for pockets of frenchs spoken in places like quebec n parts of louisiana

and spain got Central and South America sans places like Brazil where it was controlled by the Portuguese and French guiana which was obviously under french control

from what i gather since the languages are so similar most brazilians can understand spanish but have a difficult time communicating in spanish if they arent otherwise taught some spanish but its similar to us in the US or more specifically places like texas where a percentage of the population has learned spanish as it increases business with neighbooring countries.

but i think the reason why spanish didnt really spread beyond the boarders of colonialism isnt because of mountains or the terrain of the forrest but b/c the language of the colonizers was used msotly formally when dealing with the state , like it was eventually learned n adopted by most within a certain colonial area but all of south america was ameriindians before the europeans came, so say some indigenous amazonians in peru might have learned spanish (most probably have by this day n time) but still in day to day life they spoke/speak their native language just the way their neighboors in brazil spoke/speak their native tongue while also knowing how to speak portguguese for official things regarding the state

I really prefer portuguese than spanish.

come to Santa Catarina -Brazil my friend and lets drink some beers !!

You were unhappy about the fact that Brazil speaks a language from 5000 miles away in a different hemisphere. So does the rest of South America. Both Spain and Portugal are nowhere near South America. Technically Portugal is a tiny bit closer to SA than Spain.

nbd, js

Not trying to fight about it. Just figured I'd mention it because the fact that you thought it was important enough to bring it up so I figured I'd bring up something equally pointless. And I think I know what you're getting at being that they're the only one who doesn't speak Spanish and all, but it comes across almost like you just had to find something to bitch about without actually thinking about it long enough to realize that the point you were making doesn't really make sense when you look at it logically.

That's my point.

Oh shit, I didn't realize there was a second page. HOL you summed it up pretty much exactly the way I was thinking.