View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

a return to DXM as an older adult?

ultravisitor

Greenlighter
Hey bluelighters. :\ So I've been very curious about something, have had no one to ask in "real life", and have almost registered here many many times, but never did. However, this weekend I have a cool little opportunity to have fun, so here I am!

So, in a nutshell: has anyone here experienced a return to DXM after a significant number of years have passed? To be specific, when I was in my young 20's (10 years ago) I would regularly take 300-350 mg and only had a single bad experience out of multiple straight years of doing it. I would just hover around the 2nd plat, get the robot walk, and music sounding like it's in an abandoned cathedral, but still be able to grip the concept of being a human being. ;)

But fast forward 10 years, and since I'm no longer in a (music) college environment and have a boring full time office job, I have NO sources of any of the substances I used to like to experience. So I haven't tripped in that whole time. Buuuut... all of my roommates are going away for the 4th of July weekend, and I have the house to myself. So I'd love to hear from experience if you think a 33 year old taking dex for the first time in 10 years would be more akin to a family reunion with my home planet, or like a roller coaster into the pits of hell. =D

Thanks friends!

It would be a great idea to extract the dxm, rather than consume otc compounds. Other than that it's fairly safe.
There is a good chance there are local psychoactive mushrooms or plants that would do the trick. I'm sure you can get some weed, eating high doses of thc can be pretty intense too.

That depends ^ OTC preparations are safe if the only "active ingredient" listed on the label is dextromethorphan, DXM. The worst other non-active additives can do is make the product less practical or more nasty to ingest, delay the onset or if extended release the experience is diluted over more time.

On the other hand hunting for local psychoactive mushrooms is not really safe at all, and depending what you are looking for like good stuff such as Cubensis shrooms may be hard to find in some places.

So since you have your mind set on DXM, well apparently especially since you always liked it apart from that one time, I'd just browse some pharmacies for a DXM-only product that is preferably compact like small pills for use in children. Not even sure they sell those in your country, but alright.
Also, if you have extensive experience with DXM we probably don't have to explain this to you...

A good trip can never be guaranteed but just adopt a good set & setting and try to be prepared for getting effects you are not used to (anymore).

Anyway have fun :)

I've come back to DXM recently. However, it wasn't really on purpose, at least not consciously. I got set back with benzodiazepine withdrawal and NMDA antagonists work quite well for that purpose in my experience. I also want to get off Suboxone and it's already helped me to reduce my dose from 10-12mg a day to 3mg a day. DXM was the first drug that I got psychologically addicted to for a few months before I got addicted to opioids. And now after taking low doses for a few days I started feeling quite nervous, so I decided to take one higher dose to "satisfy myself" yesterday and stop it, because it really starts making things weird taken on a daily basis even in low doses (not what I wouldn't really enjoy, honestly speaking, but on the other hand I don't want to start hearing or seeing non-existing stuff either, I don't think you can live the dream and your real life at the same time for too long).

If you look for a cleaner experience, then think about mixing DXM with some phase-transfer agent like non-polar solvents - PEG or propylene glycol. I myself just use the yolk from soft-boiled eggs and it worked wonders. In theory it should boost the DXO/DXM ratio decreasing side effects like nausea and the dose should be more effective as well. I've got my tolerance high and I took only 255mg (actually 120mg with 135mg redosed without the yolk) as I've never really enjoyed very high doses due to the side effects, but the yolk certainly helped a lot. It started working properly after 90 minutes, but it felt much much cleaner. Certainly DXM adds to the whole experience some positive aspects like more colourful CEVs, but with supposedly more DXM metabolised into DXO I went relatively deep considering the low dose and my already higher tolerance. Honestly, I find dissociatives much more psychologically addictive than stimulants for instance, definitely much less addictive than opioids, but still it tempted me for a few days to dissociate. The experience was quite cleansing and I think I can abstain now for some time. I've got a bit of a hangover today though, it's quite heavy on my heart, but I guess that's DXM and my recent use of serotonin releasers did its job too.

Hm. For some reason my Email notifications for your replies were not sent to me, but thank you everyone. I genuinely think it's so cool that a first post from a nobody got multiple replies already, especially during a holiday. And even a mod commented! ;)

Anywho. Unfortunately I've discovered that one of my roommates is for some unknown reason still home, and not on vacation, so if I do decide to visit the dextroverse I'll have to buy some extra embarrassing supplies. 2 liter bottle so I can avoid stumbling to the bathroom like a homeless man, I'm looking at you, buddy. haha

Some specific comments:

Twista: I am too lazy to extract, and weed makes me too paranoid so I can't touch it anymore. Bummer, I know.

Solipsis: CoughGels!

adder: That is fascinating, that taking it with raw egg will improve the experience. Alas, that would... totally gross me out. Ha

I've come back to DXM recently. However, it wasn't really on purpose, at least not consciously. I got set back with benzodiazepine withdrawal and NMDA antagonists work quite well for that purpose in my experience. I also want to get off Suboxone and it's already helped me to reduce my dose from 10-12mg a day to 3mg a day. DXM was the first drug that I got psychologically addicted to for a few months before I got addicted to opioids. And now after taking low doses for a few days I started feeling quite nervous, so I decided to take one higher dose to "satisfy myself" yesterday and stop it, because it really starts making things weird taken on a daily basis even in low doses (not what I wouldn't really enjoy, honestly speaking, but on the other hand I don't want to start hearing or seeing non-existing stuff either, I don't think you can live the dream and your real life at the same time for too long).

If you look for a cleaner experience, then think about mixing DXM with some phase-transfer agent like non-polar solvents - PEG or propylene glycol. I myself just use the yolk from soft-boiled eggs and it worked wonders. In theory it should boost the DXO/DXM ratio decreasing side effects like nausea and the dose should be more effective as well. I've got my tolerance high and I took only 255mg (actually 120mg with 135mg redosed without the yolk) as I've never really enjoyed very high doses due to the side effects, but the yolk certainly helped a lot. It started working properly after 90 minutes, but it felt much much cleaner. Certainly DXM adds to the whole experience some positive aspects like more colourful CEVs, but with supposedly more DXM metabolised into DXO I went relatively deep considering the low dose and my already higher tolerance. Honestly, I find dissociatives much more psychologically addictive than stimulants for instance, definitely much less addictive than opioids, but still it tempted me for a few days to dissociate. The experience was quite cleansing and I think I can abstain now for some time. I've got a bit of a hangover today though, it's quite heavy on my heart, but I guess that's DXM and my recent use of serotonin releasers did its job too.

whats the rationale for ingesting something greasy with dxm improving dxo/dxm ratio?

You're not really that old. No one is too old to try DXM.
DXM can be a psychedelic tool to explore one's mind and one's consciousness.
You have to be aware that DXM significantly alters your perception for about 8 hours. You will enter a new realm or universe (a.k.a. Dextroverse) in which you will be the master. You will pretty much start to question everything. Known characters (friends and family) are suddenly new individuals, that you start to see from a completely new perspective.
Your social inhibitions are vanished and you will start to get immensely (d)extroverted. Music is a definitive plus for the experience. It will sound so different and deep.
Be prepared to have your mind blown away. The euphoria you'll get is beyond beautiful. The DXM experience is so unique.
You don't get any real "visuals" like on LSD, but visual distortions... as in the environment will change it's shape, size and form.

Just find some OTC products that contain Dextromethorphane (HBr / H²O) and nothing else.
I'd suggest you start with 400mg as the initial dose and about 3 hours later you take booster doses of 90mg every 30 minutes (360mg in total) to space out your trip.
But be aware that re-dosing more than 400mg will be harsh on your mind afterwards.

Once I took about 2 grams of DXM in over 24 hours and I definitely noticed that the comedown was really fucked up. It dragged out about another 24 hours and the afterglow lasted for another 2 days. Initial dose being 1200mg, having redosed about 800mg (without tolerance).
I had severe headaches afterwards and felt like a complete retard. Don't recommend.

Just don't go overboard, do not take more than 800mg in 1 night after your long tolerance break ... hehe