• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids A rant about doctors and Lyrica

CottonAndGuns

Greenlighter
Hey all. I'm in a huge pickle right now and I feel hopeless. I feel I'm determined to spend the rest of my life in pain.

I have acute RSI pains all the time. I used to work to burn out on my projects. Before my pain hit I was successful in my field. Had a name for myself. I owed that to my imagination, creativity and *drumroll* untreated mental health conditions! I didn't know what it was: autism, aspergers, ADHD, OCD, dyslexia or whatever. But I had a power with my unique brain that I used for financial gain. I'd work day and night. I could feel the pain coming on but did nothing about it. My warning signs that I totally ignored was fainting at my desk numerous times because I forgot to eat. Lol!

The docs put me on various painkillers. They barely treated the pain but they did make me feel good. Those little dopamine hits I'd get solving problems all day long with work I could now get for free! One time in peak depression I told my doc I took more pain meds than prescribed because I wanted to make it through to tomorrow, to feel good enough to continue living. I think that burned my medical notes because since then I've gotten diddly squat from my docs except plain old gabapentin that did SO LITTLE for my pain or mood that I could take a placebo and feel no different. I had my partner set it up for me. We bought some capsules from amazon and stuffed some with gabapentin, some with crushed paracetamol (a tiny amount not even 250mg). She told me one week I was given no gabapentin at all. No withdrawals, no pain killing, no mood/social anxiety lifting.

So then. Recently my pharmacist messed up and gave me the same dosage pregabalin as gabapentin. I was over the moon. I'm a sensible person at times and took less than the max dose (300mg twice a day). I called the docs when I could to tell them the situation. Lines were busy due to the Coronavirus. Instead of putting me on the dose I was taking (300mg once a day) I was put on 50mg once a day.

I had on withdrawals but the pain returned.

I pleaded with them to put me back on that dose that worked.

I was kept in suspense for days for the docs to "talk to each other about this". And they decided no. The receptionist informed me about their decision. I asked her, flabergasted, "so what do I do now? I'm in so much pain." She said nothing. I asked to make an appointment. She said "it can't be about this. They wont change their decision".

Now? I'm looking at my dwindling savings wondering if I should just waste money buying this shit from abroad. I don't want to. I can't, even. The doctors, my doctors, don't care that I'm in pain and depressed. The NHS has been nothing but good to me except for this.

I don't know what to do. I thought about switching GPs but surely my notes will go across and because of that one line I once said in a suicidal depression hoping to just not end it all in the night... I screwed myself. My body is aching all the time.

Do you know what I do now? I get 7 capsules of 50mg lyrica once a week. I take them all at once to get that single dose of what I deserve. I spend one day a week without physical pain. Todays that day btw that's why I'm writing so much. However I do get mental anxiety during it worrying that I've got 6 more days to come before I can not hurt again.

All this just reminds me of those white middle class american women you hear about (at least here in the UK), where they were on pain meds but their docs took them off it, so they sought out heroin and similar.

I wish I could get a second opinion. My GPs only has 2 permanent docs at the moment. They used to be bustling with 5 brilliant ones but Tory cuts to the NHS meant loads left and they had to close on Saturdays. I don't know where to get my other opinion from as both my docs have "conferred" over this and "due to my history won't be increasing my dose".

I've got my counsellor to speak to them, twice now, about how I'm okay to have more because I'm a sensible egg nowadays. More or less. I just want the fucking pain to stop. I want to be able to work just a fraction of how I used to. I want to get my name back. I want to thank everyone that helped me through this. It won't be docs - they can sit on the "hindrance" side.

(33% of my entire family (including partners) works for the NHS at different levels, grades etc. They're all great.)
I'll be on my way now. I hope to be back either next week or sooner if my protests are heard.

Kind regards,

CottonAndGuns

You need to ask them about the pain management programme, is it offered by your area? This will show that you’re willing to work with them. It also could help you though! I would say the fact you didn’t correct the pharmacist came into play though in their decision making. I am completely shocked that that mistake was made in the first place.

Pregabalin starting doses are around 50/75mg and then you are given an increase until you feel they are working. You wouldn’t just be started on 300mg anyway.

I’m really sorry you’re in pain, if you really think your drs aren’t giving you the correct treatment you can follow the complaints procedure, the citizens advice bureau should help with that. Sorry I can’t help more.

Hey all. I'm in a huge pickle right now and I feel hopeless. I feel I'm determined to spend the rest of my life in pain.

I have acute RSI pains all the time. I used to work to burn out on my projects. Before my pain hit I was successful in my field. Had a name for myself. I owed that to my imagination, creativity and *drumroll* untreated mental health conditions! I didn't know what it was: autism, aspergers, ADHD, OCD, dyslexia or whatever. But I had a power with my unique brain that I used for financial gain. I'd work day and night. I could feel the pain coming on but did nothing about it. My warning signs that I totally ignored was fainting at my desk numerous times because I forgot to eat. Lol!

The docs put me on various painkillers. They barely treated the pain but they did make me feel good. Those little dopamine hits I'd get solving problems all day long with work I could now get for free! One time in peak depression I told my doc I took more pain meds than prescribed because I wanted to make it through to tomorrow, to feel good enough to continue living. I think that burned my medical notes because since then I've gotten diddly squat from my docs except plain old gabapentin that did SO LITTLE for my pain or mood that I could take a placebo and feel no different. I had my partner set it up for me. We bought some capsules from amazon and stuffed some with gabapentin, some with crushed paracetamol (a tiny amount not even 250mg). She told me one week I was given no gabapentin at all. No withdrawals, no pain killing, no mood/social anxiety lifting.

So then. Recently my pharmacist messed up and gave me the same dosage pregabalin as gabapentin. I was over the moon. I'm a sensible person at times and took less than the max dose (300mg twice a day). I called the docs when I could to tell them the situation. Lines were busy due to the Coronavirus. Instead of putting me on the dose I was taking (300mg once a day) I was put on 50mg once a day.

I had on withdrawals but the pain returned.

I pleaded with them to put me back on that dose that worked.

I was kept in suspense for days for the docs to "talk to each other about this". And they decided no. The receptionist informed me about their decision. I asked her, flabergasted, "so what do I do now? I'm in so much pain." She said nothing. I asked to make an appointment. She said "it can't be about this. They wont change their decision".

Now? I'm looking at my dwindling savings wondering if I should just waste money buying this shit from abroad. I don't want to. I can't, even. The doctors, my doctors, don't care that I'm in pain and depressed. The NHS has been nothing but good to me except for this.

I don't know what to do. I thought about switching GPs but surely my notes will go across and because of that one line I once said in a suicidal depression hoping to just not end it all in the night... I screwed myself. My body is aching all the time.

Do you know what I do now? I get 7 capsules of 50mg lyrica once a week. I take them all at once to get that single dose of what I deserve. I spend one day a week without physical pain. Todays that day btw that's why I'm writing so much. However I do get mental anxiety during it worrying that I've got 6 more days to come before I can not hurt again.

All this just reminds me of those white middle class american women you hear about (at least here in the UK), where they were on pain meds but their docs took them off it, so they sought out heroin and similar.

I wish I could get a second opinion. My GPs only has 2 permanent docs at the moment. They used to be bustling with 5 brilliant ones but Tory cuts to the NHS meant loads left and they had to close on Saturdays. I don't know where to get my other opinion from as both my docs have "conferred" over this and "due to my history won't be increasing my dose".

I've got my counsellor to speak to them, twice now, about how I'm okay to have more because I'm a sensible egg nowadays. More or less. I just want the fucking pain to stop. I want to be able to work just a fraction of how I used to. I want to get my name back. I want to thank everyone that helped me through this. It won't be docs - they can sit on the "hindrance" side.

(33% of my entire family (including partners) works for the NHS at different levels, grades etc. They're all great.)
I'll be on my way now. I hope to be back either next week or sooner if my protests are heard.

Kind regards,

CottonAndGuns
In a similar situation with My psychiatrist refusing to increase my vyvanse dose, even though it’s running out whilst I’m at work and will eventually cost me my job, I also have a disabled/autistic son, a sick wife and a mortgage that are completely reliant on my income. Ironically my pharmacist stuffed up and offered me a bottle of dexies, just before my psychiatrist told me that he won’t increase my dose and I refused them, at that time I was prescribed dexies with my vyvanse so I thought there was no need, and no, they didn’t give me any credit for doing that. So unlike the above poster I think you did the right thing, unfortunately some drs are fucking idiots, they just dont have the capability to tell the difference between a junkie and someone who genuinely needs them but is trying to be completely honest, which is why i will only treat drs from now on with the utmost cynicism, my honesty with them has only ever caused problems. They have fucked my wives life, my life and IOD my wife and I hadn’t of had those experiences, we wouldn’t of been aware of the mistakes they were making woth our dons treatment. They’re fucking arrogant nerds with chips on their shoulders.

Last edited:
Pregabalin is about double the strength of Gabapentin so if you got the same dosage of the Pregabalin you were taking like basically double the amount of Gabapentin.
I don't see why they could not switch you to pregabalin if they're willing to prescribe gabapentin already.
They're really the same thing but it seems like you get more out of pregabalin.
I have done both and they do little for me in every sense.
Regular GPs are useless for pain management. I'd look for pain management specifically.
Just recently I had a terrible backache. Couldn't bend at all and had to take time off work and GP said my prescribed codeine that I get for back pain ironically is the strongest stuff they can do. Which is false because they can do stronger than that if they wanted to. She just didn't wanna give me anything better.
I got given amitriptyline to help me sleep and relax muscles she said 😫.
Codeine is like water for me and anyway I was taking methadone and hydromorphone even that I got myself and that didn't help so imagine what bloody codeine could have done.

Theres phenibut which is cheap and has similar effects. Just don't take it every day.