• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A pill that could prevent racism?

Bluelight Crew
British researchers found that a common heart disease drug lowers more than blood pressure - it lowers racist attitudes as well.

Researchers at Oxford University say that volunteers who took small doses of the beta blocker propranolol scored lower on tests used to detect "subconscious" racism than volunteers who took a dummy pill, London's The Telegraph reported.

Propranolol is used to reduce blood pressure, and can also manage panic and anxiety disorders.

In the study, a group of 18 white students were given 20 mg doses of the drug before taking a test to gauge prejudice attitudes, while another group was given a placebo.

In one part of the test, volunteers were asked to sort pictures of black and white faces into categories along with positive and negative words, such as "happy" and "sad."

In another segment, the test-takers were asked to report how "warm" they felt toward certain groups, including black people and Muslims.

Results showed the group that took propranolol showed lower "implicit" racist feelings, meaning they appeared less racist on a subconscious level.

For example, during the sorting section, results showed that the drug-takers were quicker to associate the pictures of black faces with positive words, the results showed.

Scientists said they believed the drug lowered feelings of bias because it works on parts of the brain and nervous system that regulate fear and emotional responses, the Telegraph reported.

"Such research raises the tantalizing possibility that our unconscious racial attitudes could be modulated using drugs, a possibility that requires careful ethical analysis," the study's co-author Professor Julian Savulescu said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...elings-report-article-1.1034779#ixzz1opH6txnY

increase in stress is correlated with increase in xenophobic tendencies in so many ways... i can't recall all of the specifics unfortunately, but it's not a surprising find.

there are huge consequences of "going too fast" in our daily lives.

Its about time those damn Asians came up with something like this

as soon as i read the title and saw heart medication i knew it was going to be propanolol...i remember reading something awhile ago about it being used to aleviate bad or painful memories. is there anything it cant do? not a bad WD med either if you have npthing else

I ordered some propanolol way back in the 90s when I was reading about "smart drugs". The idea was that you took this stuff in a situation where you were likely to be nervous and not only would you not be nervous that time, but you would never be nervous in that situation again.

Only trouble was, I was quite chilled out at that time and couldn't find any situation to try it out on. Could of done with it a few times since, though.

Propranolol.....yeah the modern SOMA. 8(

If only it didn't cause nightmares, coldness in the extremities, aggravate diabetes to name but a few.

Diamorphine I would predict makes someone considerably less racist whilst high - hardly makes it a sensible solution.

i would guess that opioids like diamorphine can increase xenophobic tendencies, if used over time. they do have their paradoxical irritability side effect.

but maybe propranolol would only have this anti-racist effect for a short time, as well, until the brain builds a tolerance. whenever i research drugs, i feel like there is a huge gap in our investigations... we always study a drug's short term effects, but we often overlook what happens when the body adjusts itself to that drug over many months or years. the latter can be just as important as the former, for many people, for obvious reasons.

People always look for a magic pill to stop all of their problems.
Take a pill to get healthy, strong, and slim without exercise!
Yeah, right. :|
No chemical will ever "prevent racism".
Racism is a perspective on life, a part of culture.
"Preventing racism" with a pill is about as likely as "preventing art".
The only hope is through globalization and education.

If only it didn't cause nightmares, coldness in the extremities, aggravate diabetes to name but a few.

Every drug has side effects. I've been taking propranolol for quite a while and the only side effect I get is that I sweat more than I used to.

Not sure if it's made me less racist though :p

Adrenergic blockers are great drugs. What they essentially do is shut off the neuroendocrine pathways that comprise the fight or flight response. One of the first events in this cascade is a surge of catecholamines from the adrenal glands, which bind to receptors all throughout the body, upregulating the sympathetic autonomic system. Propranalol never allows this epinephrine and norepinephrine to bind. They're great drugs for anyone whose problems (mental or physical) stem from getting excited too easily or inappropriately.

Propranalol was featured in a documentary I once saw, as an example of the blurry border between therapy and performance enhancement. There are doctors who will script propranalol to actors and musicians who experience debilitating stage fright. It works, almost too well, according to those interviewed who use it.

There has been talk of including beta blockers in the psychiatrists' treatment guidelines (a.k.a on-label use) for panic attacks. Some research suggests they're non-inferior to benzos, without the risks that benzos carry.

To all you who talk about propranalol's side effects, um... yeah. What do you expect? All drugs, including your favorites, have multiple effects, including a lot you don't want. But if the net benefit outweighs the net detriment, it should be considered as a viable therapy.

is there anything it cant do?
... cause vaso-constriction to treat for distributive shock as found in sepsis and spinal cord injury? :p

Imagine if they used MDMA or LSD for this study!
MDMA makes not like people who are not in a party mood, and to view people I do not find attractive with less enthusiasm then normal because it makes me horny and hence interested and amicable towards pretty females and disinterested in anyone who is not one.

LSD makes me dislike everyone because I want them to STFU and go away and leave me to enjoy my trip in peace.