• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

A new direction for research chemicals

twoci

Bluelighter
Introduction
The research chemical market is in a constant state of flux. As more establish compounds are banned, they are quickly replaced with "me-too" drugs. These replacement compounds are chemically similar, but distinct in their pharmacology and pharmacokinetics. They are often inferior (as in the case of the recent methylone replacements) and in addition their unique pharmacology results in unknown and potentially significant toxicology (as in the case of N-(2-methoxybenzyl) derivatized phenethylamines). Current strategies for the development of these analogues typically involves simple changes to prototypical drug structures (carbon chain elongation, N-alkylation, halogen exchange, etc). Little effort has been applied to re-tooling well studied, popular (often illicit) compounds in a way that does not modify their pharmacology or toxicity. Herein we shall exam a more sophisticated approach to analogue design which will focus generally on the synthesis of prodrugs which are converted to the active compound in vivo.

General Theory of Prodrug Design
A prodrug is any compound which, upon introduction to the host system, is transformed into an active drug by either enzymatic or spontaneous processes. The spontaneous processes can occur as a result of a change in pH, oxidative potential, or hydration. Enzymatic processes are not necessarily limited to the host system: microbial flora can produce a diverse array of chemical changes in their environment. In general, the goal of the medicinal chemist is to create a prodrug with increased absorption, more targeted distribution, reduced toxicity, or any combination thereof. It is also important the prodrug does not significantly alter the kinetics of the parent compound. Our goals are slightly different. In general, we would prefer to minimize changes to the parent compound's absorption, distribution, or toxicity and would be willing to accept slight changes in pharmacokinetics. Instead, our chief concern is producing a unique compound not legislated by any government that is stable in ambient conditions (lest it form significant amounts of the parent compound). Optimally, these prodrugs would be easily modifiable to allow the production of new compounds as older ones are legislated. We will achieve this goal by targeted modification of prototypical example compounds: MDA (a primary amine) and MXE (a cyclic ketone).

MXE - Enol trapping
We will first highlight a method unique to ketones that has become more relevant as the ketamine derivatives have become increasingly popular. The strategy involves the formation of the enolate and subsequent trapping with the appropriate reagent. This can be performed in one step utilizing pine needles at reflux, or in two steps utilizing raw buckwheat honey, household ammonia, and that flame-retardant stuff in baby diapers, magnetically stirred. The resulting enol ester (when trapped with a anhydride/chloroformate) or enol carbmate (when trapped with an amide) is rapidly cleaved in vivo by both plasma esterases and in the acidic environment of the gut to yield the parent drug and the free acid/amide.

One can see clearly how this would apply to MXE (Figure 1) in the production of the enol ester (Figure 2). The choice of the R-group would, in an ideal world, be based on in vitro studies of the T1/2 of the prodrug and the Cmax of the parent compound. In reality, it is likely that both the acetyl (R = -CH3) or carbamate (R = -NH2) would be sufficient.

As an aside, it is surprising that current markets have not properly embraced or even tested relevant bio-isosteres for current compound. The oxetane derivative of MXE (Figure 3) would likely provide similar activity to the parent compound. The only important note is the reduced basicity of the adjacent amine due to the electronic influence of the oxetane group itself. In addition, the astute medicinal chemist is likely aware that conjugation of the enol to a more complex NO releasing acid can be used to modulate the parent drug's potency significantly. The synthesis of 4-(nitrooxy)methyl benzoate is fairly straight forward and its conjugation to the enol ether equally so.

akQGojA.png
gePoYcH.png
pjFUmaG.png
(Figure 1)(Figure 2)(Figure 3)
(To be continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
MDA prodrugs - amino acid conjugates
While amine conjugation to amino acids is not a new concept, it is only in recent years that pharmaceutical products utilizing this concept have come to market. Lisdexamfetamine dimesilate (LDX, Vyvance) is the result of conjugating dextro-amphetamine to lysine. Studies in rats suggest that LDX is absorbed intact from the small intestines via PEPT1/PEPT2 transporters and then rapidly cleaved in the blood into its component parts (D-amphetamine and free lysine). LDX is stable, suggesting there would be no conversion to the principal compound ex vivo. Given the previous data, lis-MDA (Figure 5) seems to be an extremely reasonable prodrug of MDA (Figure 4).

Chemically speaking, the synthesis of lis-MDA from banana peels and toothpaste is trivial. The determined chemist would likely post about drug synthesis on a chemistry forum, because it is not allowed on bluelight.

oeEpN0J.png
laf8yzo.png
Figure 4 - MDMAFigure 5 - lis-MDMA

MDA prodrugs - (Oxodioxolenyl)methyl carbamate prodrugs
Selfimmolative amine prodrugs often have the disadvantage of being incompatible with primary amines. A somewhat recent advance in this regard is the introduction of the (Oxodioxolenyl)methyl carbamates (OMC). OMC removal is spontaneous at basic pH, but interestingly occurs more rapidly in plasma than in a pH 7.4 buffered solution, suggesting some enzymatic involvement. The mechanism is as follows:
J5ndWmK.png

The MDA derivatized version is a reasonable synthetic goal, given the extensive literature on OMC synthesis.
cdFp5Zp.png

(to be continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a good portion of MD(M)A's effects came from the fact they are administered usually as a 100mg+ bolus that reaches the blood/brain pretty quickly... making XR MDMA kind of pointless.

Sekio,
That's an interesting point but I'm not quite sure how it relates to the subject at hand. lis-MDA and OMC-MDA will be cleaved rapidly upon entering systemic circulation. The "rush" one associates with MDA would be present with both derivatives, although perhaps delayed by a number of minutes. Lisdexamfetamine has a similar pharmacokinetic profile when compared to D-amp. The Tmax can be slightly delayed depending on the patient population, but Vyvance's extended release mechanism is a property of its pharmaceutical preparation, not the API itself.

Last edited:
A lofty goal with great intentions, but I'm not sure how these two fit together in practice:

Instead, our chief concern is producing a unique compound not legislated by any government that is stable in ambient conditions (lest it form significant amounts of the parent compound).

United States Federal Analogue Act said:
A controlled substance analogue shall, to the extent intended for human consumption, be treated, for the purposes of any Federal law as a controlled substance in schedule I.

This would be new ground legally, but I'm sure a court could twist the word analogue so that it extends to anything that breaks into a controlled substance. They don't exactly demand scientific precision in their legal-scientific terminology.

Either way this would be really exciting if any of these came to be - especially the amphetamine derivatives, given how much we already know about amphetamine pro-drugs.

This would be new ground legally, but I'm sure a court could twist the word analogue so that it extends to anything that breaks into a controlled substance. They don't exactly demand scientific precision in their legal-scientific terminology
endotropic, I think the methodology for evading the analogue act is well developed: simply do not market your product for human consumption. As for scientific precision, I assure you it is of the utmost importance in court. A colleague of mine was an expert witness during operation web tryp. When questioned by the defense attorney, he had to explain in technical detail why 5-MeO-DMT should fall under the analogue act but melatonin would not. The legal issues are very nuanced, but it is safe to say that the first one to market with these prodrugs will be very, very rich.

endotropic, I think the methodology for evading the analogue act is well developed: simply do not market your product for human consumption. As for scientific precision, I assure you it is of the utmost importance in court. A colleague of mine was an expert witness during operation web tryp. When questioned by the defense attorney, he had to explain in technical detail why 5-MeO-DMT should fall under the analogue act but melatonin would not. The legal issues are very nuanced, but it is safe to say that the first one to market with these prodrugs will be very, very rich.

Well that's good to know that they try to bring some scientific accountability into the whole process, but to an outside observer it looks like they can take any chemical they want and have it emergency scheduled without any solid rational reason. I've never seen something emergency scheduled then later dropped any lower than schedule 1 either. Are there any examples of RC's that hit any sort of notoriety but escaped the all encompassing grasp of the analogue act?

Anyways sorry to derail your thread, I think this is a great concept, but I can't really contribute much to the chemistry discussion.

I've never seen something emergency scheduled then later dropped any lower than schedule 1 either. Are there any examples of RC's that hit any sort of notoriety but escaped the all encompassing grasp of the analogue act?

The obvious example of this one would be TFMPP. Sure, it's not exactly considered to be a shining example of a beautifully recreational compound, but the fact of the matter is, it is a perfect example of a widely marketed compound, even widely marketed for human consumption ("party pills"), which was emergency scheduled and then refused permanent scheduling. It does show that, at least in some cases, the science is actually weighty enough to outbalance the fear-mongering.

To twoci, keep up the good work! I have consistently wondered why prodrugs have not been given more attention in our little corner of organic chemistry. I really hope some of these hit the market, and soon!

Hmm, I'm not sure going for prodrugs is the answer because what if even better compounds are out there left undiscovered? We're all faffing around with prodrugs which the gov's will put a ban on within the year (ALL prodrugs that is) and the better compounds are left in the dust, what about 4-Vinyl-methcathinone for instance? No-one's tried that yet.

I've been wondering why we've never really seen any drugs specifically designed as prodrugs of illicit substances for years. It shouldn't really be that hard. Some could probably even be converted in the stomach. Also, some interesting drug combinations could come from this.

Another possible scenario for end users would be mix goodies A with easily available chemical B, perform simple extraction to yield illicit drug C.

Hmm, I'm not sure going for prodrugs is the answer because what if even better compounds are out there left undiscovered? We're all faffing around with prodrugs which the gov's will put a ban on within the year (ALL prodrugs that is) and the better compounds are left in the dust, what about 4-Vinyl-methcathinone for instance? No-one's tried that yet.
Good point.

Last edited:
I've been wondering why we've never really seen any drugs specifically designed as prodrugs of illicit substances for years.
We have and apparently it have been shite (4-mbc).

The obvious example of this one would be TFMPP. Sure, it's not exactly considered to be a shining example of a beautifully recreational compound, but the fact of the matter is, it is a perfect example of a widely marketed compound, even widely marketed for human consumption ("party pills"), which was emergency scheduled and then refused permanent scheduling. It does show that, at least in some cases, the science is actually weighty enough to outbalance the fear-mongering.

In this case, it was dropped (along with IIRC mCPP) due to widespread recognition that nobody actually wanted to take the awful thing. Piperazines were never so common in the US as in Australia/NZ, probably due to greater MDMA availability.

I've been wondering why we've never really seen any drugs specifically designed as prodrugs of illicit substances for years.

*cough* 4-AcO-DMT *cough*

In this case, it was dropped (along with IIRC mCPP) due to widespread recognition that nobody actually wanted to take the awful thing. Piperazines were never so common in the US as in Australia/NZ, probably due to greater MDMA availability.

Really? That's really interesting... I had always heard that it was refused permanent scheduling due to the fact that, instead of being habit forming, it was shown to condition aversion in animals with repeated dosing, and was therefore not considered to be an addiction risk. I had been told this by a few people and also read it in a few (albeit less-than-reliable) places.

I had also never heard of mCPP being treated the same way. I always read that TFMPP was the only compound that was emergency scheduled by the DEA but refused permanent scheduling. I'm not located in the USA, so I've never looked too deeply into this, my interest is merely academic.

I don't doubt what you are saying, I'm just interested since I had never heard that before. Was this ever mentioned one way or another officially or is it all just speculation either way?

We have and apparently it have been shite (4-mbc).

Well, mephedrone is not exactly potent by weight, and cleavage of the attached ring isn't totally efficient, so that one was too weak.

ebola

Here's my take...

We will soon need a whole new scaffold from the tryptamine and phenelthylamine mother-structures. The fact of the matter is you can only homologize for so long, add different functional groups for so long, and homologize those functional groups for so long until everything you build out of that mother-structure is inactive or dangerous.

And sure, you could probably continue the chain of designing and redesigning for quite a while with prodrugs, but even that may meet its end sooner than it can be drawn out.

I foresee changes in the ring system as being more profitable. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but in the pharmaceutical industry much more complex and expensive compounds are made and STILL sold for $10/month prescriptions (e.g. Lipitor, which is more than ten steps to synthesize).

Think in particular about a nitrogen replacing any of the carbons in the phenyl ring.

A few clever chemists who know their shit and are interested in RCs as well could do themselves well to dabble in a new skeleton molecule and make analogues from there.

I hope someone takes my idea and goes running.

Here's my take...

We will soon need a whole new scaffold from the tryptamine and phenelthylamine mother-structures. The fact of the matter is you can only homologize for so long, add different functional groups for so long, and homologize those functional groups for so long until everything you build out of that mother-structure is inactive or dangerous.

And sure, you could probably continue the chain of designing and redesigning for quite a while with prodrugs, but even that may meet its end sooner than it can be drawn out.

I foresee changes in the ring system as being more profitable. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but in the pharmaceutical industry much more complex and expensive compounds are made and STILL sold for $10/month prescriptions (e.g. Lipitor, which is more than ten steps to synthesize).

Think in particular about a nitrogen replacing any of the carbons in the phenyl ring.

A few clever chemists who know their shit and are interested in RCs as well could do themselves well to dabble in a new skeleton molecule and make analogues from there.

I hope someone takes my idea and goes running.

I'd rather try to find a very safe tryptamine which we can try to make a case that it should be legal... Chemists are just trying to create more and more compounds from research papers and their own experiments in an effort to try and stay legal. I think the best direction for research chemicals is the safe chemical route, so we can atleast try to bargain with governments.

Otherwise, efavirenz seems like the most promising lead ATM, as it is a whole new structure for 5-ht2a psychedelics, but it is still a potent antiviral and is not very healthy to take especially if you don't have HIV.

nrd838-f1.gif

I think we missed the golden age (50s & 60s) where people took a scaffold and wrung out every use. Just look at Janssen Pharmaceutica. Check out the R code - it's the n-th compound made. Less than 1000 compounds per year - just that Janssen looked at the pethidine and methadone scaffolds and got half-a-dozen compounds from it.

Some time ago I've come to a conclusion that it's actually very dangerous to share your ideas on sites like Bluelight. I can see that there are a lot of knowledgeable people posting here. You're making a favour to all those businessmen producing RC's by sharing your ideas. They make a lot of money on junk and if your talent is noticed by someone who can offer you a job so you can come up with some great medicine one day, you're very very lucky. Most of the time vendors will just copy your ideas without much thinking (and often not even testing whether a compound is active at all, not mentioning safety) and earn money on people psychologically addicted to getting high all around the world.

I've got plenty of ideas too, but I'm not sharing them if I think that there's a chance that someone makes the next mephedrone or methoxetamine out of them. Every day I observe how mephedrone and co. are taking their toll on kids from my estate. And it's happening everywhere here in Poland, in every city. Good pills with MDMA (like Superman pills) are almost non-existent here, you really need good connections to be able to obtain high quality MDMA crystals, so compounds similar in action that are both powerful and fairly easy and cheap to make are very popular here, much more popular than in the UK from what I saw. I would hate to turn out responsible for this one day.

I'm not completely against RC's. My opinion is that some drugs used recreationally are less harmful than even alcohol so widely used and abused. But seeing that more and more dangerous RC's are released (super-potent opioids, strong serotonin and dopamine releasers with active doses way lower than recreational doses of amphetamine or MDMA etc. etc.), I'm beginning to think that there are very few people in the RC business who really know what they're doing. Most of them are just interested in making easy money and making people addicted has always been a great way of manipulation.

Just a thought.

Some time ago I've come to a conclusion that it's actually very dangerous to share your ideas on sites like Bluelight. I can see that there are a lot of knowledgeable people posting here. You're making a favour to all those businessmen producing RC's by sharing your ideas. They make a lot of money on junk and if your talent is noticed by someone who can offer you a job so you can come up with some great medicine one day, you're very very lucky. Most of the time vendors will just copy your ideas without much thinking (and often not even testing whether a compound is active at all, not mentioning safety) and earn money on people psychologically addicted to getting high all around the world.

I've got plenty of ideas too, but I'm not sharing them if I think that there's a chance that someone makes the next mephedrone or methoxetamine out of them. Every day I observe how mephedrone and co. are taking their toll on kids from my estate. And it's happening everywhere here in Poland, in every city. Good pills with MDMA (like Superman pills) are almost non-existent here, you really need good connections to be able to obtain high quality MDMA crystals, so compounds similar in action that are both powerful and fairly easy and cheap to make are very popular here, much more popular than in the UK from what I saw. I would hate to turn out responsible for this one day.

I'm not completely against RC's. My opinion is that some drugs used recreationally are less harmful than even alcohol so widely used and abused. But seeing that more and more dangerous RC's are released (super-potent opioids, strong serotonin and dopamine releasers with active doses way lower than recreational doses of amphetamine or MDMA etc. etc.), I'm beginning to think that there are very few people in the RC business who really know what they're doing. Most of them are just interested in making easy money and making people addicted has always been a great way of manipulation.

Just a thought.

Research Chemicals are derived from one of three things. Attempt to make a legal/unregulated new or analogue chemical (MXE, Mephedrone), Trying to create safer/more enjoyable/better chemicals (rare, but originally shulgin was doing this), and research papers done by legitimate chemists and pharmacologists who are researching some other property of a novel chemical (NBOMes for example).

However, this thread is talking about something that is actually a lot safer than most of these other methods. The idea is to create chemicals which turn into already researched and known chemicals once inside your body, but they would still be legal in many places. In this case, adder, I don't think you need to worry as this is probably the safest direction for RC discovery. However, most chemicals we think up here are either prodrugs, like these in the thread, or chemicals we think would be better than current available chemicals.

But now I wonder, has any of the chemicals thought up about on bluelight ended up on an RC Vendor's products?

Most of the compounds released as RC's come from patents that people read, I'd imagine. Let the big pharma companies do the hard work.