Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Nation of Second Chances

TheBlackPirate

Bluelighter
President Barack Obama said:
A Nation of Second Chances
Barack Obama

OgxIpor.jpg

President Barack Obama greets Kemba Smith during a drop by with formerly incarcerated individuals who have received commutations, in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, March 30, 2016. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Earlier this spring, I met with a group of individuals whose sentences were commuted either by President Bush, President Clinton, or myself. They were all at different stages of a new chapter in their lives, but each of their stories was extraordinary.

arl9ycP.jpg

President Barack Obama meets for lunch with formerly incarcerated individuals who have received commutations, at Busboys and Poets in Washington, D.C., March 30, 2016. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Take Phillip Emmert. When he was 27, Phillip made a mistake. He was arrested and convicted for distributing methamphetamines and received a 27-year sentence. So, by the time he was released, he’d have spent half his life behind bars.

Unfortunately, while in prison, his wife was paralyzed in an accident. So while he was in prison, Phil learned everything he could about fixing heating and air conditioning systems — so he could support his wife when he got out. And after his sentence was commuted by President Bush, he was able to do just that. Today, he’s gainfully employed. He’s a caregiver for his wife, an active father, and a leader in his community.

Like so many nonviolent offenders serving unduly harsh sentences, Phillip is not a hardened criminal. He’s taken responsibility for his mistakes. And he’s worked hard to earn a second chance.

Today, I commuted the sentences of an additional 58 individuals just as deserving as Phillip — individuals who can look to him as inspiration for what is possible in their lives.

As President, I’ve been working to bring about a more effective approach to our criminal justice system, particularly when it comes to drug crimes. Part of that effort has been to reinvigorate our commutations process, and highlight the individuals like Philip who are doing extraordinary things with their second chances. To date, I will have commuted 306 individual sentences, which is more than the previous six presidents combined.

While I will continue to review clemency applications, only Congress can bring about the lasting changes we need to federal sentencing. That is why I am encouraged by the bipartisan efforts in Congress to reform federal sentencing laws, particularly on overly harsh mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses. Because it just doesn’t make sense to require a nonviolent drug offender to serve 20 years, or in some cases, life, in prison. An excessive punishment like that doesn’t fit the crime. It’s not serving taxpayers, and it’s not making us safer.

As a country, we have to make sure that those who take responsibility for their mistakes are able to transition back to their communities. It’s the right thing to do. It’s the smart thing to do. And it’s something I will keep working to do as long as I hold this office.
https://medium.com/@PresidentObama/a-nation-of-second-chances-bc35d820ec79

Last edited:
I really hope he lets all the prisoners of this war go as a last hurrah. It would really become a major legacy he could leave behind and would have such a positive impact on both an individual level and for american society as a whole. It would be huge.

That would be incredible. He would have to wipe the records clean too because being a felon for drugs pretty much guarantees you will be making minimum wage if that.

I really hope he lets all the prisoners of this war go as a last hurrah. It would really become a major legacy he could leave behind and would have such a positive impact on both an individual level and for american society as a whole. It would be huge.

That would put him right up there with FDR as far as great presidents go. I cant wait until enough time passes for the partisan bickering to subside and Obama is recognized as one of our better Presidents.

That would put him right up there with FDR as far as great presidents go. I cant wait until enough time passes for the partisan bickering to subside and Obama is recognized as one of our better Presidents.

I live in the south, but I am from the north. I hate how around here so many of the native floridians that are poor/under-educated say that he has been an ineffectual or worst president in history. The problem with his presidency was the obstructionist congress, and a conservative activist judicial branch. He actually tried to make things better yet was fought on all sides to do so.

You are right, if he does release the prisoners of the drug war...heck, if he releases even 50% of the prisoners of the drug war he would be right up there with FDR for grace and benevolence.

Letting somebody go that has a felony record is hardly a second chance. Until they fix the broken criminal justice system, dudes are going to have a hard time supporting themselves and will likely wind up back in prison. A whole lot more has to be done than simply letting people out.

The problem is that is, there are lots of scumbags that would be let out that just happen to be serving drug sentences. There are people that would love to see him let someone out and have them commit a major crime so they can say "I told you so" and keep the laws the way they are (or make stiffer). That's why so few at a time are released; they have to be vetted to make sure it doesn't turn into a political nightmare and end up doing more harm than good.

The Republicans still control Congress and they are the ones that ultimately have control of the drug laws going forward.

This is certainly a good start and maybe the balance of power will change in the fall and some real progress can be made. It's amazing how many people are passionate about ending the drug war but don't bother to vote--especially in non-presidential congressional elections, which can be every bit as important!