• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

A Model for States of Consciousness (Help Wanted)

Kallisti23

Bluelighter
I posted this in the Philosophy thread already but thought it might be relevant to a few psychonauts here too. If any of you have any first-hand experiences that you think are relevant, or any states I have missed out please let me know. :)

I started working on a rudimentary model for some of the different states of consciousness that I have learned about or experienced. It will be obvious to those familiar that it is heavily inspired by similar models by Timothy Leary, John Lilly, Robert Anton Wilson, and Jean Piaget. It is essentially just a slight reworking and update. It is only a quick first draft so will no doubt require editing and reworking. Any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions would be welcome.

A Model for the Stages of Consciousness

The first 5 stages are natural socio-biological stages that most people move through regardless of circumstance. The last 4 are generally only achieved through conscious effort or perturbation of regular consciousness by the individual, although they may occur ?naturally? or spontaneously in some. I omitted specific ages for most stages as I think this is culturally influenced, and the order isn?t necessarily linear and chronological.

Sensory-motor Stage: This is the first stage of consciousness that all humans encounter post-birth. You awaken to the world through the senses and start to learn to use and control your body though touch, taste, and smell. The self-other split isn?t apparent yet at this stage.

Ego Stage: This usually occurs around the toddler age. At this stage one starts to become aware of oneself as a separate reified entity apart from others and one?s personal will becomes a reality to be achieved.

Social Stage: This stage usually starts around 3 - 4 years of age, or when children start school. Here one starts to learn how to maneuver the social field we inhabit. How to achieve one?s goals and desires. Mastery of language becomes more developed. It is at this stage that personality traits such as submissiveness, assertiveness, aggression, domination, meekness, agreeableness etc. develop depending on one?s experience at this stage.

Sexual Stage: The onset of puberty. When sexual desires start to awaken in earnest and one becomes concerned with the ramifications and potential of the erotic. Unions based on sexuality become more important.

Game Stage: This stage is usually around early adulthood, or after the completion of state schooling depending on the cultural milieu. One is expected at this stage to have become fully socialized into the culture at hand and be able to maneuver and participate in its expected game rules. For most people this is the end of the naturally achieved stages.

Somatic-Sensory Stage: This stage is characterised by a decreased focus on the social-game obsessed state and an increased focus on sensory pleasure, such as the body, music, art, playful thought etc. This stage is typically facilitated by substances that work on the somatic senses such as cannabis, low doses of LSD, mushrooms, or phenethylamines such as 2cb, and also through some practices aimed at inducing ecstatic states such as certain types of yoga, ecstatic dancing etc.

Trans-Game Stage: At this stage learned social game rules cease to exert influence on the psyche. Ego is usally still present to a degree, but is very plastic. This is the typical mystics state of consciousness. Spiritual or psychological insight can be achieved, regular game-living often seems absurd and is hard to relate to, and alternaties are explored. Consciousness often becomes expansive in that it tends to function holistically and makes multiple connections between things. It is also possible to gain hyper-focus at this stage, but this tends to be fleeting as consciousness seeks to make ever more connections. This stage is often achieved through moderate doses of psychedelics such as LSD and mushrooms, can also sometimes be reached on high doses of 2cb, but certain people appear to have entered this state through intense spiritual practice alone.

Neuro-Programming Stage: This stage is similar to the Expansive Trans-Game Stage but more intense. This is where ego is at peak plasticity and if experienced, conscious changes can be made to one?s basic psychological imprints, but even with experience control is not guaranteed. If one is not experienced, involuntary changes to psychological imprints can occur. At this stage one's external world essentially becomes the contents of one?s psyche, the expression "you make your own world" becomes a powerful reality. You may experience communication with spirits, others, God, your psyche, depending on your subjective inclination. This stage can be reached through high doses of the traditional psychedelics and ketamine, and by certain enlightened spiritual practitioners.

Trans-Ego Unitary Stage: This stage is the hardest to describe, and by nature ineffable. At this stage the ego has been completely surpassed. You are everything, and you are nothing. Nothing of your terrestrial self exists any more, only essence. This is the Nirvana state, Samadhi, Union with the Godhead, Gnosis. This stage can be reached occasionally through high doses of Ketamine, and possibly extreme doses of LSD, DMT, and 5-MEO DMT. This is the state accessible by the enlightened ones, the Buddha etc. The only time I have ever personally entered this stage was through 100mg Ketamine at the peak of a 25mg 2cb trip.

I'm personally a fan of Integral Theory and the synthesis of other models achieved within:
integral31.jpg

I think these stages of development provide a good framework to help evaluate "patients" or "clients"
but I do not think that these stages relate so much to questions of consciousness, while they do indicate a general shift in character as the body and mind develop and mature.

I think these stages of development provide a good framework to help evaluate "patients" or "clients"
but I do not think that these stages relate so much to questions of consciousness, while they do indicate a general shift in character as the body and mind develop and mature.

Elaborate?

I think what pupnik is saying is these models assess personality more than level of concious awareness

OP's given model is very much a consciousness map, not a model of personality, and I would be surprised if anyone was able to convince me the AQAL integration was anything different, either. So, elaborate.

they are specifically about generalizatons of observed attributes in stages of personality development.
personality has a lot to do with consciousness, in the same way that the width of a river, and the composition of the river bed and banks affect the water's properties along it's path through these "land forms".

consciousness is the water and it's properties
personality is the geography that supports the water.

states of consciousness are like waking, dreaming, and those in between that we play with drugs to explore

I can dig that. Although I'd make the substitution of "character" here instead of "personality".

I think you are right in that to a large extent some of these stages, especially the earlier ones, correlate with certain aspects of personality. Inasmuch as the achievement or entering of these stages facilitate imprinting of personality traits related to it. I?m considering changing the wording of ?stages? as I think it implies too much of a linear / hierarchical progression. I believe that people can move between these stages in a non linear fashion, usually occupying more than one at once but with maybe more emphasis on one / traits associated with one. As I said, it?s a rudimentary model and really just a way of helping me think about certain aspects of consciousness. The AQAL chart seems to me to be a lot more personality focused, but also touches on consciousness facilitated by said personalities.

Last edited:
I like this Pupnik, very well put. :)

consciousness is the water and it's properties
personality is the geography that supports the water.

states of consciousness are like waking, dreaming, and those in between that we play with drugs to explore

Read "Being No One", by Thomas Metzinger. It'll challenge some notions you may or may not have about consciousness as a process. In many ways it is reductionist beyond reductionist, and quite controversial. It is a very long read, but well worth it based on how unorthodox Metzinger's approach to consciousness really is. It most certainly challenges most "classical", theoretical models that have existed/do exist.

"According to Thomas Metzinger, no such things as selves exist in the world: nobody ever had or was a self. All that exists are phenomenal selves, as they appear in conscious experience. The phenomenal self, however, is not a thing but an ongoing process; it is the content of a "transparent self-model." In Being No One, Metzinger, a German philosopher, draws strongly on neuroscientific research to present a representationalist and functional analysis of what a consciously experienced first-person perspective actually is. Building a bridge between the humanities and the empirical sciences of the mind, he develops new conceptual toolkits and metaphors; uses case studies of unusual states of mind such as agnosia, neglect, blindsight, and hallucinations; and offers new sets of multilevel constraints for the concept of consciousness. Metzinger's central question is: How exactly does strong, consciously experienced subjectivity emerge out of objective events in the natural world? His epistemic goal is to determine whether conscious experience, in particular the experience of being someone that results from the emergence of a phenomenal self, can be analyzed on subpersonal levels of description. He also asks if and how our Cartesian intuitions that subjective experiences as such can never be reductively explained are themselves ultimately rooted in the deeper representational structure of our conscious minds."

gonna check out that book - right up my alley Thomas Metzinger

Keep up the good work Kallisti, seems like a solid model to me. I've had similar experiences on IM K, as well as exceedingly high doses of Nitrous Oxide. Fucking life-changing... Nitrous especially, but that stuff is elusive. You literally work out the meaning of life, as explained to the human brain by a stream of metaphors and images.. but it fades SO quickly once you rapidly come down.