• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids A methadone + nicotine mystery I'm REALLY hoping someone can please shed some light on!

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I've been on methadone maintenance for about 7 years now; I started at 220 mg due to high tolerance, but have mostly been on 170-200 mg for the past several years. Like most people, I find that methadone does not give me any real opiate high, although it certainly does cause other opiate-related effects and feelings if it's been an extra long time since my last dose (but certainly still no rush, nodding, etc.). However, I also need to put a huge asterisk next to this statement because in my experience, there is a BIG exception to this.

I've smoked for about 15 years or so, but quit and began vaping about 5 years ago. I usually use e-liquid containing 6-12 mg nicotine. Now here's the bizarre thing: a good haul on my vape inexplicably gives me a nearly immediate opiate rush. It's not like IV heroin or anything of course, but it's most certainly there. For a few seconds, I feel a distinct and very much unmistakable opiate high which then fades over the next few seconds and vanishes until my next puff. Other than during these times, I often don't feel the methadone at all, and certainly not any overt euphoric effects. It's powerful enough to feel an effect indistinguishable from an opiate high of Percocet or Dilaudid, and also to be able to easily discount any sort of placebo effect, and there is other strong evidence as well that it really is an opiate effect I'm feeling. For one thing, it only happens AFTER taking my methadone dose, and is usually stronger an hour to two hours after taking it. If I've missed a dose or two and am feeling significant opiate withdrawal, absolutely nothing happens when I vape (and it in fact can make me gag and even throw up by this point). The intensity of the effect also seems to correlate with the amount of methadone in my system in that there is a noticeable decline as the day progresses and the methadone wears off - only to resume following my next dose. However, there are times when it seems inexplicably far stronger than others despite no change in my dosing regimen. At times, I barely feel anything at all, while at others it's enough to make me say "holy s**t" out loud, and make me extremely curious as to the exact pharmacodynamics at play. Even stranger is the fact that smoking actual cigarettes doesn't seem to have a similar effect, although it's very hard to accurately compare nicotine content between a puff of a cigarette and a puff of my vape. I've discussed this with friends who insist that what I must be feeling is somehow a misidentified nicotine rush, but that doesn't explain the very opiate-like feeling of it, the correlation with my methadone dose, or the fact that it never happened to me before I started on methadone.

There HAS to be some sort of pharmacological explanation for this, but I've found it EXTREMELY difficult to find any other references to this effect online! That is extremely unexpected given the very large numbers of methadone users who also vape. This makes it that much more difficult for me to study the effect and possibly alter my usage patterns accordingly. For instance, I have no idea whether it causes the methadone already in my system to be metabolized more rapidly, leading to much more painful withdrawals when they happen.

One other thing that I believe to potentially be of significance is that I also regularly take Dramamine (which is Diphenhydramine with a mild stimulant). It does seem as though the effect is more powerful shortly after taking this drug as well, but it's very hard to identify a consistent effect. It certainly does NOT occur if I've taken Diphenhydramine but NOT methadone. As I've been addicted to opiates since 2007, I certainly know the effects when I experience them. What I would really like to know is exactly what the heck is going on here, and particularly WHY I can't find anything more than a fleeting reference to this online, which still doesn't really share the exact same characteristics of what I'm describing. I would obviously have thought that such a major effect should have certain online forums such as this one buzzing with activity, sharing knowledge and details of the phenomenon.

So if ANYONE at all even has the SLIGHTEST idea of what I'm talking about, I would really and truly appreciate your input! I hope to get a discussion going here that finally helps me understand just exactly what is going on on my body, once and for all. I'm also concerned that this will make it harder for me to eventually quit both methadone and nicotine, as it's obviously a strongly reinforcing effect. I've been decreasing my methadone dose by 5 mg every 4 weeks or so, and am currently on 175 mg - down from 200 only a few months ago. So far, I've noticed no decline in the effects that is always consistent with the decline in my methadone dosage, although it can be very hard to make sure of this since the effect is already extremely random in intensity, with no way for me to accurately predict how strong it will be in the given period. Thank you so much, everyone! :)

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that some of the effect actually seems to persist even when early, initial physical withdrawal symptoms are becoming evident (excessive yawning, occasional sweats, mild chills) however it is NEVER present once withdrawal begins to set in in earnest (heavy sweats and chills, beginnings of nausea and vomiting). This is one of the reasons I am one hundred percent confident it's far from a placebo effect; its randomness in intensity or even its presence at all still surprises the hell out of me. I also take Clonidine - 0.2 mg in the morning and 0.4 mg at night, but I don't really see how that could be a factor here.

Last edited:
Nicotine induced beta endorphin release. That's my guess. I too have experienced what you speak of; just with different opioids.

Nicotine increases the effect of opioids. It also activates opioid receptors directly. Knockout mice lacking mu opioid receptors do not experience the rewarding effect of nicotine and have less withdrawal symptoms when the nicotine is removed.

It's nothing crazy or abnormal probably the same reason people who take a drag on a ciggie when their high nod out

Happens to me from time to time, but I'm on buprenorphine.

I generally dont feel my bupe doing much during the day, but i've noticed, especially in the evenings, after a good meal, those couple of cigs I have before going to bed always give me little tiny nod/rushes.

That's very interesting, thanks all. I still wonder though if such potentiations of the exogenous opioid result in it being consumed faster than it would otherwise be consumed. In other words, will frequent nicotine use cause early opioid withdrawal?

I never heard of this interaction, it sounds very fascinating if you feel it profound enough to be excited and feel such an effect off of both.

I'm on 80mgs of methadone and I smoke tobacco, i'm trying to transition to vaping the last, few months now. While reading this I started to puff on my vape but didn't feel much extra. Today I only took 40mg at max, and also 35mg Valium, 3mg Xanax and 600mg Lyrica (high tolerance). Also only there's only about 4mg Nicotine in my vape oil, so I probably wouldn't notice any difference. I do tend to smoke and vape a lot more when on methadone, but if starting to withdraw I can't stand a roll-up.
I think there' is a common interaction between nicotine and methadone in the brain, possibly a similar receptor
Some say nicotine is just as hard or harder than opiates to come off, and I tend to agree a little

Tomorrow i'll dose my 80mg and after an hour, usually the onset, then at around 3-4 hours ,the peak, and i'll vape and see if I notice any difference as i'm curious now lol

yeah nicotine always seemed to boost heroin for me, reliably, and if I was nodding hard on the brink of puking a cigarette would always make me puke and give me stronger nods

nicotine potentiates almost every drug for me... I'll be chain smoking when I'm high

Last edited:
The effect is also almost always stronger the longer I wait between puffs. After not vaping for a few hours, it can be very intense. But if I'm doing it repeatedly, there are diminishing returns until I wait another 30 minutes to a couple hours or so. As I said earlier, it only lasts a few seconds and then disappears until the next puff.

Nicotine was thought to be a mild MAO inhibitor, but recent science suggests this isn't the case, although IME it does seem to potentiate the effects of nearly all psychotropic substances, albeit briefly, as in a minute or two- at least with nicotine via inhalation. I recall putting on a 21mg nic patch years back when I was not using nicotine regularly. I was in my honeymoon phase with pharma opiates, and had taken IDK probably hydrocodone or morphine, but not as much as I'd have liked, and nowhere near what would've gotten me nodding. But after an hour of wearing this patch I was nodding like crazy, high as fuck. Felt like I'd taken quadruple whatever I actually took. Had to take it off it got so intense.

So evidence suggests it's something else in tobacco that's responsible for the MAO inhibition seen with smoked tobacco, and it's possible the same compound(s) are also in vape liquids. The amounts of nicotine you take in vaping is off the charts compared to tobacco, and perhaps same is true with other active compounds. Anyway, it's of course possible there is another pharmacodynamic/kinetic mechanism at play, but I have no idea what it would be. Probably something with nicotinic acetylcholine receptor activation causing increased levels of choline to cross the BBB and interact with neurotransmitters and neuropeptides etc etc. I'm talking out of my ass though. I have no idea, and you're right it's hard to find valid empirical info that's scattered about on such matters. ADD might be a good place for additional responses and more intelligent speculation than I can offer.

Side Note: I quit smoking years back by switching to vape products, eventually settling in with Juul and similar 5-6% nic salt disposables. I quit it all for ~1 yr then recently started smoking again because I missed it and due to hanging around smokers. The other day I picked up a Stig disposable. I took one big puff and almost fell over. The nicotine rush was insane. I'd forgotten how much nic and whatever else you actually get vaping compared to smoking cigarettes. I crave a cigarette after a few hours, but can go 24 without it bothering me. When I vaped I would be in w/d and fiending for that shit after 30min.

I tried the vape after a dose today and noticed I was a bit more stoned than usual part of the day on 70mg, 10mg below my dose. But but liquid ran out around 3pm and that sucked, the juice i have is 70/30 I wonder if that has something to do with it. I could fill up in the morning and by late afternoon i can barley see any juice in my tank

On another note for me and the people I tell who are on methadone, if you drink ~ 250ml of fresh white grapefruit juice about 30-60 mins before taking the methadone it will hit you much quicker, strong maybe not as long but nothing noticeable. I thought it was an old wives tale but when I first tried around 2 years ago, esp white GF juice, with about 40ml on top of my 80 I notice serious nodding and stoned about 50% more i'd say. Now whenever i decide to 'top up' and I remember the juice i'll be taking it. I'm sure there's threads here about it. If you do try it make sure its not an everyday thing, maybe once a week at most. And if white cant be found pink works too just not as intense. I live in Ireland and between Tesco, Aldi, the Polish shops white is ion impossible to find, almost as if its a seasonal thing while pink is all year round. And no concentrate, as a last resort maybe a full litre. But the white breaks down the methadone using the CYP 3A4 metabolites in your gut and potentiates the methadone a lot. I often drink an extra half dose and an hour later i realise No, I forgot the Juice. Anyway just thought I'd mention it while talking about potentiation!

Anyway I'll still try out this vape trick when on a full tank with higher nicotine, and no benzo's in me!

You certainly get a little buzz off the vape when on methadone. For a few seconds is all.

But also noticed that smoking pushes the methadone out of you faster.

When on methadone best to take no nicotine at all.

In reverse, the dose hits me harder with no nicotine, of course lasts longer too.

Nicotine was thought to be a mild MAO inhibitor, but recent science suggests this isn't the case, although IME it does seem to potentiate the effects of nearly all psychotropic substances, albeit briefly, as in a minute or two- at least with nicotine via inhalation. I recall putting on a 21mg nic patch years back when I was not using nicotine regularly. I was in my honeymoon phase with pharma opiates, and had taken IDK probably hydrocodone or morphine, but not as much as I'd have liked, and nowhere near what would've gotten me nodding. But after an hour of wearing this patch I was nodding like crazy, high as fuck. Felt like I'd taken quadruple whatever I actually took. Had to take it off it got so intense.

So evidence suggests it's something else in tobacco that's responsible for the MAO inhibition seen with smoked tobacco, and it's possible the same compound(s) are also in vape liquids. The amounts of nicotine you take in vaping is off the charts compared to tobacco, and perhaps same is true with other active compounds. Anyway, it's of course possible there is another pharmacodynamic/kinetic mechanism at play, but I have no idea what it would be. Probably something with nicotinic acetylcholine receptor activation causing increased levels of choline to cross the BBB and interact with neurotransmitters and neuropeptides etc etc. I'm talking out of my ass though. I have no idea, and you're right it's hard to find valid empirical info that's scattered about on such matters. ADD might be a good place for additional responses and more intelligent speculation than I can offer.

Side Note: I quit smoking years back by switching to vape products, eventually settling in with Juul and similar 5-6% nic salt disposables. I quit it all for ~1 yr then recently started smoking again because I missed it and due to hanging around smokers. The other day I picked up a Stig disposable. I took one big puff and almost fell over. The nicotine rush was insane. I'd forgotten how much nic and whatever else you actually get vaping compared to smoking cigarettes. I crave a cigarette after a few hours, but can go 24 without it bothering me. When I vaped I would be in w/d and fiending for that shit after 30min.
Yeah, it only ever lasts around a minute or less. Two tops. But it comes back again with the next puff, more intense the longer I wait between puffs. I always thought that if anything, nicotine would DISRUPT most opioid effects if anything since its a stimulant.

If I were to make a graph of strength of opioid buzz vs. time, with regular intervals of use, it would be a curve that shoots up quickly, plateaus for several seconds, then fades just as quickly. The next use would be similar but without as high a peak if it comes within a few minutes of the last puff. Assuming the next one is much longer afterwards - let's say 30-60 minutes, the peak may even be higher than the first one was. Once again though, the actual intensity really seems to be random and based on other unknown factors, although a "session" of doing this will always provide results with roughly similar effects as opposed to getting a good one in at one time. but then feeling nothing a little while after that. There is NEVER any noticeable lasting effect though, and it's basically the exact same feeling as if you were to have an opioid you're inhaling instead of nicotine.

Last edited:
I never heard of this interaction, it sounds very fascinating if you feel it profound enough to be excited and feel such an effect off of both.

I'm on 80mgs of methadone and I smoke tobacco, i'm trying to transition to vaping the last, few months now. While reading this I started to puff on my vape but didn't feel much extra. Today I only took 40mg at max, and also 35mg Valium, 3mg Xanax and 600mg Lyrica (high tolerance). Also only there's only about 4mg Nicotine in my vape oil, so I probably wouldn't notice any difference. I do tend to smoke and vape a lot more when on methadone, but if starting to withdraw I can't stand a roll-up.
I think there' is a common interaction between nicotine and methadone in the brain, possibly a similar receptor
Some say nicotine is just as hard or harder than opiates to come off, and I tend to agree a little

Tomorrow i'll dose my 80mg and after an hour, usually the onset, then at around 3-4 hours ,the peak, and i'll vape and see if I notice any difference as i'm curious now lol
I use 6 mg nicotine e-liquid, and I can get a HUGE effect with a large puff. It seems far more correlated with how much methadone is in my system and how long it's been since my last dose than anything else. For instance, I have 12 mg nicotine liquid which seems to work about the same as the 6 mg stuff given the other parameters are the same. If it's been a long time since my dose or I'm feeling significant WD, then no amount of nicotine will bring on the effect.

I tried the vape after a dose today and noticed I was a bit more stoned than usual part of the day on 70mg, 10mg below my dose. But but liquid ran out around 3pm and that sucked, the juice i have is 70/30 I wonder if that has something to do with it. I could fill up in the morning and by late afternoon i can barley see any juice in my tank

On another note for me and the people I tell who are on methadone, if you drink ~ 250ml of fresh white grapefruit juice about 30-60 mins before taking the methadone it will hit you much quicker, strong maybe not as long but nothing noticeable. I thought it was an old wives tale but when I first tried around 2 years ago, esp white GF juice, with about 40ml on top of my 80 I notice serious nodding and stoned about 50% more i'd say. Now whenever i decide to 'top up' and I remember the juice i'll be taking it. I'm sure there's threads here about it. If you do try it make sure its not an everyday thing, maybe once a week at most. And if white cant be found pink works too just not as intense. I live in Ireland and between Tesco, Aldi, the Polish shops white is ion impossible to find, almost as if its a seasonal thing while pink is all year round. And no concentrate, as a last resort maybe a full litre. But the white breaks down the methadone using the CYP 3A4 metabolites in your gut and potentiates the methadone a lot. I often drink an extra half dose and an hour later i realise No, I forgot the Juice. Anyway just thought I'd mention it while talking about potentiation!

Anyway I'll still try out this vape trick when on a full tank with higher nicotine, and no benzo's in me!

Here's the thing with this - I can never seem to find actual white grapefruit juice anymore no matter which grocery store I go to! I live in Canada. and they used to have No Name brand white GFJ at Superstore, but I haven't seen it in any of their stores at least for the past few years. Hell, even pure or concentrated PINK grapefruit juice can be tough to find, with most grapefruit-related beverages I see for sale being presumably useless grapefruit FLAVORED cocktails that are mostly sugar and have little actual GFJ in them, and it's always the pink stuff when it does. I suppose pink GFJ is fairly useless? I've certainly never noticed any significant effects in terms of speed of onset and half-life.

Another related issue I've been wondering about for a long time is whether or not stomach acidity plays a significant role in the speed of onset of methadone, or the length of time it remains in the body. I've heard conflicting statements here, with some saying the more acidic the better, while a few others have claimed the opposite to be true. If the latter is indeed correct, then I would expect the GFJ to actually hinder the absorption and effects of the methadone. at least in the short term.

Is anyone here knowledgeable enough in this area to finally provide me with an answer to this question? I'd appreciate it so VERY much!!! :D

Here's the thing with this - I can never seem to find actual white grapefruit juice anymore no matter which grocery store I go to! I live in Canada. and they used to have No Name brand white GFJ at Superstore, but I haven't seen it in any of their stores at least for the past few years. Hell, even pure or concentrated PINK grapefruit juice can be tough to find, with most grapefruit-related beverages I see for sale being presumably useless grapefruit FLAVORED cocktails that are mostly sugar and have little actual GFJ in them, and it's always the pink stuff when it does. I suppose pink GFJ is fairly useless? I've certainly never noticed any significant effects in terms of speed of onset and half-life.

Another related issue I've been wondering about for a long time is whether or not stomach acidity plays a significant role in the speed of onset of methadone, or the length of time it remains in the body. I've heard conflicting statements here, with some saying the more acidic the better, while a few others have claimed the opposite to be true. If the latter is indeed correct, then I would expect the GFJ to actually hinder the absorption and effects of the methadone. at least in the short term.

Is anyone here knowledgeable enough in this area to finally provide me with an answer to this question? I'd appreciate it so VERY much!!! :D

I know same here! It seems to be like a seasonal fruit or something. Whenever i go to the supermarket and see white GFJ I cop 3 bottles min lol.
The only place where I live that sells it, is Tesco. But 80% of the time its not there. So I buy the Pink GFJ
The flavored ones and mixed ones stay away from. As a last resort check the concentrate, and check the Grapefruit level in it.
It could possibly from people abusing either. Also If you see fresh white GF buy that and a juicer ant the eurostore

I disagree somewhat tho, I could take 150mgs and feel stoned, but if I drink 300mls of pink GFJ 30 mins before that dose I'm nodding and its morning before I know it. So there definitely something in the pink. I notice quicker onset, higher peaks but lower lengths or half life's with white. I think pink GFJ juice has potential, not near as good as white but maybe 50% of the effect.

I noticed that the GFJ raises acidic levels in the stomach bypassing something, or speeding up the process hence quicker onset. Also Tums (google Tums + methadone) or something similar over in America really helps too, a stomach regulator. It can't be got in my country unfortunately.

And your right, the methadone absorption rate will be lower (short term). It works through the CYP 3A4 enzyme in the gut which also speeds up Midazolam and Halcion. Much more potentiation with them three and there prob is more benzos and opiates too, I think it has slight effect on Valium.

Just don't drink EVERYDAY with every dose! Cos one day you wont have it and your dose wont do it's full job!