• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Map That Shows the Dramatic Spread of Legal Weed in the U.S.

Bluelight Crew
http://m.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/04/map-shows-dramatic-spread-legal-weed-us/63997/

WeedLaws.gif

Looking at the recent spread of liberalized marijuana laws across the United States, it's hard not to think we're entering some kind of Weed Spring. The latest state to act is Maryland, where on Monday the state senate approved a bill legalizing medical marijuana by 42 to 4, sending it to Gov. Martin O'Malley, who is expected to sign it into law. Several state legislatures are considering relaxing their restrictions on marijuana. A majority of Americans now favor legalizing marijuana, and 65 percent of young people support legalizing it, suggesting support will grow. The Justice Department still won't say how it will deal with marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington -- it's still banned by the federal government -- but officials in both states say they're going ahead. "We intend to move forward with supporting the will of the people," Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson told Talking Points Memo.

That's doesn't mean there haven't been setbacks for the pro-weed crowd in recent years. California voters rejected a legalization initiative in 2010, and Oregon voters did the same in 2012. Bills to legalize weed have died in Hawaii and New Hampshire this year. But as our map GIF above shows, the trajectory is unmistakably toward legalization.

cont. http://m.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/04/map-shows-dramatic-spread-legal-weed-us/63997/

funny to see both coasts light up in green over time lol, what's with the southern part of the US? Maybe methamphetamine legalization would be more appropriate there.

Thanks for the map

Looks like there are several states which are "in legislature" - whatever that means, lol

funny to see both coasts light up in green over time lol, what's with the southern part of the US? Maybe methamphetamine legalization would be more appropriate there.

That part is known as 'the bible belt'. Highest percentage of Christians in U.S. Very conservative (e.g. pro-drug war).

Is that .gif accurate? I thought Montana's medical marijuana program was repealed, and then when there was a vote to bring it back, it didn't pass. Am I mistaken?

Is that .gif accurate? I thought Montana's medical marijuana program was repealed, and then when there was a vote to bring it back, it didn't pass. Am I mistaken?

It was amended, not repealed. From NORML:

Senate Bill 423, which became law on May 14, 2011, amends the state's medical marijuana law. The act went into effect on July 1, 2011. Among the changes mandated by this act:

• Chronic pain patients will face more stringent requirements to qualify under the law, and in some cases may require a recommendation from two separate physicians;
  • Patients found guilty of marijuana DUI will have their medical marijuana privileges revoked;
  • Advising physicians will be reported to the Board of Medical Examiners if they recommend for more than 25 patients per year; Physician will be responsible for the costs of this investigation;
  • Caregivers may accept no monetary compensation for providing cannabis to qualified patients.

Thought OP meant Synth cannabinoids for a while, until I saw the map thing begin in the 70s
I can only hope and wait the same thing happens over here in the UK soon enough