• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A MAN sent “psychotic” from smoking too many cannabis “cones” tried to flee scene

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
P-plater tried to flee horror crash on skateboard

A MAN sent “psychotic” from smoking too many cannabis “cones” tried to flee the scene of a crash that left a woman permanently brain damaged, by sticking out his thumb and hitchhiking, a court has heard.

The court was told, Kayden James Lawson, of Killarney Vale, took off on his skateboard and was picked up with his thumb out trying to hitchhike on the M1 motorway, about 1km away from where he ploughed into another motorist after travelling an estimated 200km/h in the breakdown lane while high on pot.

At his sentencing hearing this morning at Gosford District Court his solicitor Brad Kernick appealed for the “moral culpability” to be considered lower than the guideline judgment — a series of High Court precedents that instructs judges when sentencing — because he suffered from schizophrenia which was not diagnosed until after the crash.

94c4d947a84fcdd490f9bda4a1953b1e

He told the court Lawson was admitted to Wyong Emergency as a non-voluntary patient after the crash suffering a “psychosis” and had since spent seven months in a mental health facility.

“In my respectful submission Mr Lawson deserves to have the moral culpability reduced,” Mr Kernick told the court.

Mr Kernick said Lawson’s erratic driving and his attempt to flee the scene on his skateboard, and was picked up after he was hitchhiking about a kilometre down the road, “suggests a person not acting rationally”.

However Crown prosecutor Charisse Hodgeman said there were medical reports tendered as part of the brief of evidence which revealed he was smoking four to five cones a day and at least three cones a day in the 12 months leading up to the crash.

a6072f62311ac7e623a49a2f235c6872

Ms Hodgeman said the medical evidence indicated he ended up in hospital from a “drug-induced psychosis” and that it was the cannabis that was a contributing factor to his mental state, more so than an underlying existing condition.

“In relation to the object seriousness [there is the] gross abandonment of responsibility as a road user and the catastrophic injuries [to the victim],” she said.

Lawson, a P-plater, was estimated to be travelling more than 200km/h swerving in and out of traffic and along the breakdown lane on November 10, 2014 when he slammed into the back of Kristyn Rourke’s Toyota Hilux at 6.48am.

89d8f1113ad700697121113012dfd74b

6196f4c66a7bc7a2877915ddf9cb9f15

The then 38-year-old senior property manager was on her way to an appointment when the impact sent her ute hurtling through a guardrail and plummeting 10m off a bridge to an embankment below.

Tests revealed he had cannabis in his system at the time.

Lawson was charged with five serious driving offences but a last-minute plea deal saw him plead guilty to aggravated dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, driving while illicit drugs were present in his system and failing to stop and render assistance following an impact causing grievous bodily harm.

82823523d8f3c98f63e58e9733752688

Judge Mark Buscombe described the incident as “shocking, shocking”.

“It has to be above the mid-range — the driving, speeding, the appalling injuries — it has to be above the mid-range of objective seriousness,” he said.

Ms Rourke, who sat at the back of the court supported by her partner and friends, provided a victim impact statement which chronicled the devastating, lifelong implications she has suffered as a result of Lawson’s actions.

b18665a0ee1bbbbef1bbb143e0c9c353

She said while she had no memory of the crash and post traumatic amnesia for 64 days after she woke from her coma, knowing he “basically left me for dead” trying to flee the scene “upsets me greatly”.

“I sustained an extremely severe traumatic brain injury, plus multiple other severe injuries including right ear amputation, right face/scalp de-gloving, C2 hangman (neck) fracture, left arm fracture and my left radial nerve was severed,” she said in her statement.

“Over the past two years I’ve endured multiple operations plus I have numerous ongoing rehabilitation and medical appointments, several per week.

“I needed to relearn the basics, such as walking, talking, writing, eating, brushing my teeth and decision making.”

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/1e46a05a133a252d9516c4bd5a04f7f0

He told the court Lawson was admitted to Wyong Emergency as a non-voluntary patient after the crash suffering a “psychosis” and had since spent seven months in a mental health facility.

considering the pot wore off completely within a few hours and was completely out of his system within 30 days.. yet he was held for seven months... yeah blame it on the pot... oh and he had been smoking a ton and never did this prior. This man had mental issues and that's what caused this horrible event.. but go ahead and blame the pot.. its a free thinking world and people are free to be as dumb as they want.

in other news 320 million world wide did not lose their shit after getting high recently... like i said back to school nn

Poor noonoo gets bullied again for posting a drug related article in Drugs in the Media. The topic is called Drugs in the Media no?

Guess that PC Dick Sandwhich from Starbucks didn't satisfy your apetite.

If you want to be a piece of shit moderator and abscond from neutriality then speak to the guys who run Bluelight and rename the section or better yet start your own forum which no one could give two shits about.

Just because you smoke weed and aren't affected doesn't mean everyone else is in thesame boat.

I had a friend who had psychosis from smoking weed and still does after 6 years who did unintentional harmful stuff to himself which was non drug related once his reality was distorted such as jumping out of the car onto oncoming traffic.

Don't play psychiatrist when all you are is a keyboard warrior.

My post was almost entirely discrediting the article. By encouraging you to take some specific credits im just encouraging you to learn how to read and post significantly real articles. Its strongly scientifically indicated that cannabis use does not cause permanent psychoses. It can bring on early onset severe mental illness like paranoid schizophrenia. This is only an early onset and these unfortunate people would have eventually had to face their very difficult struggle with or without the cannabis use.

Drug use and mental illness go so hand in hand. People struggling with mental illness seek relief in mental acting drugs and mental acting drugs can often create temporary neurotransmitter imbalances and resultant symptoms thq are the exact same as the non drug induced.

So people who struggle with mental health issues seek treatment in both street and pharm drugs.. both street and pharm drugs create mental health issues.. so its a hard puzzle.

im sorry your friend struggles mightily with hith health issues.. i hope he finds the relief he seeks and deserves. someday we might figure it all out<3

Im not here to be fuking neutral.. im here to get good shit done. Of course my opinion of what needs to get done is subjective.. but yours is allowed as well, i try and be very fare in my moderation and enjoy a great deal of respect because of this.. but if you feel i should just sit back in the shadows and play a lunch monitor you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Last edited:
How many DUI or operating while intoxicated do ou have noonoo.. pretty sure you posted three?

Look back at the posts.. who is being abusive?

that's not why i'm "winning".. im just doing what i think is best for our planet. if your right and getting your ass kicked then better study up?

are you right?

P-plater in 200km/h crash jailed for 2.5 years

A P-PLATER who travelled 200km/h in the breakdown lane with cannabis in his system before ploughing into another vehicle — sending it crashing over a guardrail — later giggled to police “it worked, it got rid of the car”.

Kayden James Lawson was yesterday sentenced to four years’ jail with a non-parole period of two years and six months after the shocking collision at 6.48am on November 10, 2014, at Morriset in NSW’s Lake Macquarie.

Dash cam footage tendered in Gosford District Court shows the moment his Holden Commodore passes a northbound truck before the 22-year-old slammed into the rear of a Toyota Hilux sending it smashing through a guard rail and plummeting 10m off a bridge to an embankment below.

On the footage the truck driver, who was talking with another truck driver further up the road on two-way radio, can be heard saying, “F**k me, he made the truck rock when he went past”.

Later the other driver in the truck ahead tells the driver to “Pull it up Ben, pull it up”, after Lawson slammed into the Hilux driven by then 38-year-old senior property manager Kristyn Rourke.

“He’s just killed someone I think,” the other driver can be heard saying.

Police used the footage to calculate Lawson was travelling between 193 to 203km/h.

Lawson stood emotionless in the dock when Judge Mark Buscombe sentenced him to four years’ jail for dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm with illicit drugs present in his system and failing to stop to render assistance.

With his non-parole period of two and a half years he will be eligible for release on August 12, 2019.

The court heard Lawson got out of his Commodore after the crash and took off on his skateboard.

Another motorist who stopped, tried to chase him on foot but later got back into his car and found him about a kilometre down the road with his finger out trying to hitchhike.

The witness picked him up, did a U-turn and returned him to the crash site where others stood around the car to make sure he did not try and flee again.

Meanwhile Ms Rourke was trapped in the wreckage of her car for an hour barely clinging to life.

Among her shocking list of injuries were the loss of her right ear, the near “complete traumatic amputation” of her left arm and the de-gloving of her face.

Ms Rourke also suffered a fractured neck and a lifelong brain injury.

Judge Buscombe said Lawson “giggled” when police spoke to him in hospital after the crash where he told them, “It worked, it got rid of the car”.

Lawson ended up as an involuntary mental health patient for seven months in the wake of the crash and the judge said medical assessments found he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic who smoked three “cones” a day in the 12 months prior.

He said Lawson was suffering paranoid delusions at the time and believed he had grandiose “giant powers” to drive like a lunatic.

Judge Buscombe also found him guilty of driving with an illicit drug in his system and disqualified him from driving for five years.

Judge Buscombe said he afforded Lawson a 25 per cent discount for his guilty pleas and found his “moral culpability” was reduced because he was clearly psychotic at the time.

Outside court Ms Rourke said she was just happy the matter was over and remarkably said she felt a bit “sorry for him”.

“Regardless of the sentence nothing changes for me I guess, I’m just pleased it’s the closure of that chapter,” she said.

“It’s been probably a bit surreal because I don’t have a memory of the accident, I obviously just know of the injuries, so it’s been a bit tough but I feel a bit sorry for him as well [because] he’s not well.”

Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...s/news-story/e598e60ff4649ff1426836d69f6f7ddb

Do you reckon he should of gotten one of these bad boys instead neversickanyore ?

4t6jck.jpg

You know cause jailing someone commiting an offence with a side effect from weed is just not on. In hindsight more weed the better for this guy right? Or better yet maybe you two might want to indulge in some Valentines day activities and make hash cookies naked then talk about how awesome the accident was when the car went flying?

My post was almost entirely discrediting the article. By encouraging you to take some specific credits im just encouraging you to learn how to read and post significantly real articles. Its strongly scientifically indicated that cannabis use does not cause permanent psychoses. It can bring on early onset severe mental illness like paranoid schizophrenia. This is only an early onset and these unfortunate people would have eventually had to face their very difficult struggle with or without the cannabis use.

And you got this from where? Did you just read one study or multiple?

You know cause jailing someone commiting an offence with a side effect from weed is just not on. In hindsight more weed the better for this guy right?

exactly! Everyone's just assuming that too MUCH weed was the problem, maybe the actual problem was that he didn't consume enough weed!

My take is he should serve much more.. Not that I think jail time does any good to reform anyone and much more often does offenders, thier families and society no good at all.. But I do believe their are people that society needs to be protected from.. But if you think weed is the root of this failures problems your nuts.

And you got this from where? Did you just read one study or multiple?

I'm going to let you do your own research on this one.. See this will help you with your quest for real intellectual interpretation.
Even the national institute of drug abuse has stated this.. Billion dollars a year in funding and anti canibus strong.. I will fill your mind with proofs if its to feeble to find them on its own?

Please tell us more about the 'proofs' of 'canibus'.
You obviously know what you're talking about.

My take is, you are stoned when posting these messages.

For someone who preaches academia it is a bit sad that you can't construct a reasonable sentence.

Bit under the chimney ay? Or is it just the intelligent puff cloud making an appearence?

I never knew 'thier' could impact a family so dearly or that 'much more' means years. I must be way behind the times or perhaps I am 2000 cones away from seeing what reality is in your own eyes. I apologise for this although if you are stoned as you normally are, than no apology needed right?

Grasping at this situation though I am beginning to see that the root of this problem is "your nuts".

What a sad case, neversickanymore went and fixed up his grammar.

The stoners remorse must of gotten to him.

Makes me giggle every time.. I have a neurodiverse mind and will never be able to spell or enjoy good grammar.

In second grade I tested post graduate degree in vocabulary.

I made it all the way to caulc 3 for scientists and engineers with my dyslexic brain.

On IQ tests I roll 130+

But yeah I can't even spell spell. Lol.

My hand writing is totally illegible.

Its crazy to have such a vocabulary and no way to write it.. So nice the computer thing came along so it can tell me how to spell what I'm trying to write.

But my mind interrelates very complex concepts like yours spells "easy" words (impossible 4 me) and follows grammatical rules.

So its not all bad.

And thanks for the support you two!!

Last edited:
What the fuck was this moron thinking?! My goodness - poor woman.

I would have sentenced this degenerate more severely - bloody idiot.