A loved one hooked on H. What can I do?

SolarBassman

Greenlighter
Well, recently my family was recently ripped apart as a result of Heroin addiction. I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm a 19 year old man and my dad is hooked, and my siblings moved out. It started after being prescribed Vicodin, and I'm the only one who knows and has a real influence on his actions. I want him to go clean, but I don't know what to do. It's changing him. He's the greatest guy I know and I look up to him more than anything. I was considering trying to get him to switch to Cannabis, but I'm not quite sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you haven't already look into suboxone treatment.

How long has he been using heroin?

How long has been dependent on opiates/opioids?

Does he know that his drug use has caused these problems and is continuing to create them?

Most importantly, does he want to stop?

This information is useful in getting informative, non-generic responses.

Cannabis could certainly assist him in getting off Heroin. It's not everyone's cup of tea, like myself for example, but I know it has worked for some people. The problem with kicking Heroin is that the withdrawal experience is pretty intolerable. At least from the point of view of the person experiencing it....feeling that you're dying.

Suboxone is an excellent method of kicking Heroin but ONLY if the person can do a quick taper. That means not using Subs as a maintenance tool: it has a very long list of short and long term side effects that are unpleasant and counterproductive.

Does your dad have income? If so, perhaps professional detox might help - but always make sure you research the place, and ask many questions about how they do the detox.

I've been writing a guide on how to take care of yourself after hard drug use, and it can help during detox too, if you're doing
a home detox. http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/817897-How-To-Repair-Your-Body-Mind-Soul-A-Guide

Does your Dad admit what is going on? Does he say he wants to get off heroin? This is what is important for you to know so that you can tailor your own expectations (and strategies for support) accordingly. If he wants to get help, you can support him in that. If he does not, the best thing that you can do is to tell him how much you love him and that you always will, and then make sure that you are taking care of yourself.