• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

A Legal Green Giant

I know what it costs to grow weed. You might have cheaper labour and electricity in the states, but unless these two things and property rental are all considerably cheaper in Colorado than anywhere else it is not clear why it would be substantially cheaper to produce cannabis there than anywhere else.

After reading all the news reports about AUS in drugs in the media, mind altering substances appear to be more profitable in AUS than anywhere in the world.
I don't understand why everything commands a higher price in AUS versus the rest of the world.

If you say so. This doesn't address the fact that it isn't really economically viable for most people to sell cannabis that cheap, or the likelihood that in a market where cannabis commands up to four times the price the people growing the really cheap stuff are probably taking some short cuts.

Even if it was economically viable for retailers to sell a product for one quarter of the price which consumers are willing to pay, why would most retailers adopt this pricing strategy? It doesn't make any kind of financial sense. My point is that the majority of stoners in Colorado are paying more than you are, and if everyone started "opening a newspaper" then your ability to consistently source product this cheap would be short-lived.
This were my thoughts exactly. Just figuring the average cost to grow a pound of weed indoors or even in a green house with supplemental heat/cooling and lighting doesn't seem worth it- and that isn't even considering the cost of employees to both grow and sell the weed and the space to do so. You could probably grow weed in the middle of nowhere and get super cheap rent, but I doubt that is the case for a retail location. I'd imagine with all the competition you would need prime business locations which by no means would be cheap.. not in any major city anyways.

Either wolf is amazing at shopping and finding deals or he has people who like him lol.. maybe a combination of both even. I guess location plays a major role. If you live in northern california you probably pay substantially less than someone who lives in southern cal.

Hey wolf, are you saying that you just look for sales in the newspaper and regularly pay that low? You aren't getting a special friend deal or something? not saying it isn't possible but my mind is just having trouble wrapping itself around those numbers. I can see how it would no longer be worth growing for a lot of people with big industry swooping in, but with prices that low it seems hard to comprehend that big industry would be interested in getting involved. Unless the big guys are trying to starve out the little ones and operating at cost or even below cost.

my mind is just having trouble wrapping itself around those numbers.
Probably not as much as trying to understand how someone could pay the prices listed in the OP?

I have no idea how someone could be so stupid.

Those prices are nothing new.. if anything is new it's these low prices. People pay $1-2 for a bottle of water, yet bitch about paying more than $3 for a gallon of gas that they can use to travel hundred of miles. It's not a matter of water being more scarce than gas, at least not yet. A lot of people do things that make no economical sense what so ever.

I think what drug mentor was talking about is if everyone took advantage of these blow out sales either the dispensaries would have to stop having them or the product that they are able to move at such a low price would sell out in a heart beat. It's true that often times the consumer has more power than they think, but if it wasn't a lucrative market to be a supplier in then you wouldn't have people and investors flocking to be a part of it. The boom would bust, people would be forced to stop growing and return to their "regular" job or search for a different source of income. Already as it stands some people struggle to profit from growing indoor cannabis because of the large overhead. Seeing how you no longer think it is worth growing for your own personal needs I would expect you would agree with this..

At some point prices can't get any lower without the profit margin drying up and it becoming near impossible to grow and sell at a profit, even at retail prices.

Personally I think people are quicker to complain about weed prices than regular things. Look at the cost of producing soda versus the cost they sell individual cans/bottles of soda for. Grocery stores mark up fresh produce over 100% on many items regularly to account for produce going bad. Same is true with meat and many other items. The mark up is on a price that a farmer and whole seller have both made profit on.

Last edited:
Those prices are nothing new.. if anything is new it's these low prices. People pay $1-2 for a bottle of water, yet bitch about paying more than $3 for a gallon of gas that they can use to travel hundred of miles. It's not a matter of water being more scarce than gas, at least not yet. A lot of people do things that make no economical sense what so ever.
There are many places in the world I've been too that I've paid over $20 for a bottle of water and would gladly do it again. Location location location.

I think what drug mentor was talking about is if everyone took advantage of these blow out sales either the dispensaries would have to stop having them or the product that they are able to move at such a low price would sell out in a heart beat.
Is it not obvious by this article that the prices were over priced to begin with? It only looks like a blow out because of the mark up.

It's true that often times the consumer has more power than they think, but if it wasn't a lucrative market to be a supplier in then you wouldn't have people and investors flocking to be a part of it. The boom would bust
It did bust. It's over. Go home. Seriously, there's no more room in CO

Already as it stands some people struggle to profit from growing indoor cannabis because of the large overhead. Seeing how you no longer think it is worth growing for your own personal needs I would expect you would agree with this..
I disagree because I never grew for profit, so I never struggled with that.

Where would you gladly pay $20 for a bottle of water? gladly seems like an overstatement.. but maybe you just make way more money than I do.

And you don't have to be growing for profit to understand what I am talking about. It sounds like you decided that it was no longer worth your time and or money to invest in growing because the price has dropped so low. If you feel like that, do you think you are the only one?

Over priced compared to what? At the time I'm pretty sure they were market value if not just above. It wasn't all that long ago prices were much much higher... Prohibition has a lot if not everything to do with it, but even still things that are legal will bottom out in price.

If that market really did bust then you should be getting ready to pay an ass load more when everyone goes home like you suggest...

Where would you gladly pay $20 for a bottle of water? gladly seems like an overstatement.. but maybe you just make way more money than I do.
Understatement. I have a hobby of climbing mountains. Big ones. So I find myself in places that I either pay 20$ for water or I dehydrate increasing my likelihood of altitude sickness and death, so it's literally a life saver.

And you don't have to be growing for profit to understand what I am talking about. It sounds like you decided that it was no longer worth your time and or money to invest in growing because the price has dropped so low. If you feel like that, do you think you are the only one?
It's time consuming yes. It's currently not worth it. I may change my mind several months from now and start growing pot again. That's life.

Over priced compared to what? At the time I'm pretty sure they were market value if not just above. It wasn't all that long ago prices were much much higher... Prohibition has a lot if not everything to do with it, but even still things that are legal will bottom out in price.
I wasn't paying that much in the blackmarket at that time...at one point in time yes, but not then. That's why I was in the blackmarket...

If that market really did bust then you should be getting ready to pay an ass load more when everyone goes home like you suggest...
bust was an overstatement.

Of course you can still legally make a business here, but it's saturated with sellers and space so the competition is fierce, thus the "go home" attitude I have, it's more of warning to potential sellers than anything else.

I seriously wish Medical Marijuana was in the tri-state region of Ohio, Virginia, WV, or whatever because I hate taking pills docs give me..