• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

A few questions.... I?m new and concerned.

josh88

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone,

I?ve unfortunately had a bad run with health and have found myself needing many a surgery and many a pain relief. I have found myself now with what I guess is a high tolerance to Oxycodone. I have some more detailed questions and any help would be appreciated - by the way I?m in Aus.

1. Is my tolerance high? I need Approximately 50 grams of Oxycodone to feel good At all. So that?s 5 10gram capsules or 10 5 gram tablets. Is that a lot?? These are instant release too.

2. Is there any way to get that tolerance down?

3. Occasionally I?ve been given a script for Oxymorm which is just a 10 gram capsule. These are preferred.

4. In a few weeks time I?m having more surgery and I?m worried that the pain relief isn?t going to be sufficient. Am I gonna have better chances of getting something more substantial by being honest about my tolerance and concerns with the Anaethetist prior to surgery? What would the next step up be? Would I be looking for a stronger dose of Oxycodone or something different all together? Really worried about this one but am interested to know the other opioid pain relief options.

Thanks in advance, would really appreciate any help!

Hey Josh! We're always happy to have fresh meat here on the forums! (Salivates).

So, regarding your current usage of Oxycodone, 50mg would be considered of a pretty moderate level. Given the recent and ongoing reformation of Opioid prescribing practices, this might be considered in the mid-high range. But, guidelines do not produce analgesia, medications do. It sounds like you are using your medication responsibly? If I'm mistaken in this assumption, please correct me. This is a conversation that you should have with your surgeon. If it comes down to it, tell them you would like to speak to a dedicated pain team.

Above and beyond Oxycodone, I would probably say Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) would be the most logical, commonly prescribed alternative. I've had extensive surgeries throughout my life (15+) and know all about PACU and post-surgery pain relief. It's tricky business, but you just have to be honest and I mean totally honest with your people. Your relationship needs to be predicated upon honesty and they must be able to trust you completely.

It's not uncommon for certain medications to just not be as effective for some people. Oxycodone is relatively ineffective for me as well. Hydromorphone is typically what I get for pain relief and the equipotent dosage works pretty well for me.

The only way you can reduce your tolerance is by not taking Opioids. It's unfortunate, but that is the deal. I would have this conversation with your team. You might want to mention Hydromorphone specifically as an alternative. Send me a message if you need further assistance my friend!

Thanks so much!

I generally am pretty good but every now and then I get ?greedy? and chase the feels.

I appreciate the reply! I think it?ll be time for a good old chat :)

Thanks again!

Hello. I just joined as well. In fact, the OP's title is very close to what mine would've been. Anyway I have a question that I've searched and searched for and can't seem find anyone else that matches my scenario. In 2010 (37 years old), I broke my arm (humerus bone). The doc prescribed me percocet 10s w/acetaminophen (can't remember mgs of that) and it was the HAPPIEST few weeks of this boy's life! Lol i was taking around 2 every 4 hours (except at bedtime). It was euphoric, I was up and talkative, clear headed, active. Just amazing! Then...I got better and had to taper off and and...boom, back to my normal life (blah).

So now, fast forward to 10 years later (44 years old). I had 2 LARGE kidney stones I had to have surgery on to remove. But PRIOR to the surgery, they sent me home with percocet 5/325 Acetaminophen for the pain. I was pretty excited and I got home, made a nice comfy bed on the couch in front of the TV and (on a 4 hour empty stomach) took, 4 of the Percocet 5/325 (20mgs of Percs). About an hour later, that same...nice warm feeling came over me. The pain was still there which to me, was understandable because...hello? broken arm can't compare to severe kidney pain, I guess. Anyway, here's the difference from the 2010 experience. That "nice warm" feeling that came on lasted about 45 minutes before I got really sleepy and dizzy. Then I noticed I started getting really bored and irritable. Granted...I get it, apples and oranges due to the particular situations. So, I got some sleep and then, started a new day. Woke up took only 2 percs this time and...within only 30 minutes I got really sleepy and dizzy. Since it was early in the day, I went with the husband to go look as tile for new bathroom (he drove)...But, I could barely keep my balance walking and I just got VERY irritable and almost angry at the slightest little things. So, couple hours later, I took 2 more...and the irritability just got worse and now nausea set in as well. Just SO ON EDGE the rest of the day. SO sorry for rambling on and on....

I guess I'm just OCD at this point and want to know. Does 10 years really make a difference? These days I work out, regularly (actually in better shape than I was in 2010) My vitamins and medications have not changed much in MANY years. Have they changed the formula in Percoset to avoid people from enjoying them because of the new opiate epidemic? I've googled and googled....and can't find anyone in my similar situation (only see folks that have years of built up a tolerance). I took a 10 year break from this once fun drug and now, it's completely different! BUT HOW...WHY? Maybe I'm just crazy...Lol. Maybe a higher force is blocking the good high so I won't get addicted...Lol. Maybe I should simply b entering all this into my own journal instead of bugging you guys with it. Lol But, just looking for some insight at this point. So, thanks in advance and good lord, thanks for reading all this mess. ~peace

Your body changes over time, you cannot expect same result as you had previously years ago.

It is just the way that it is with medications