• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Favorite Employee Tests Positive for Drugs. Now What?

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
A Favorite Employee Tests Positive for Drugs. Now What?

SEPTEMBER 11, 2014
You never think that your employee of the month, your top salesperson or your friendliest receptionist will test positive for drugs. But it happens.

Substance abuse isn’t uncommon in the workplace. A recent study showed that 70 percent of the estimated 14.8 million Americans who use illegal drugs are employed. And drug abuse costs employers $81 billion annually. The most abused drug is marijuana, followed by cocaine and prescription drugs.

Through the years, I’ve seen a lot of employers make mistakes when dealing with employees who are abusing drugs. And while it’s never an easy situation to face -- especially when the employee is a friend or a valued team member -- if you’re prepared, you’ll be able to make the best decision for the employee and the company.

Handle positive drug tests with a level head.
It’s vital for companies to have drug-esting procedures and policies in place before they begin testing employees. The procedures should clearly state the type of tests to be used, their frequency and the consequences for positive results.

If an employee tests positive, it can be a difficult and uncomfortable situation. Following these steps can help resolve the issue efficiently:

1. Anticipate excuses. Often employees won’t admit they’ve taken drugs. Whether they blame it on secondhand smoke, a faulty test or a poppy-seed muffin, you need to expect this type of response and know how to respond in an effective manner to unveil the truth.

2. Retest and confirm. I always recommend that an employee be re-evaluted after testing positive for drugs. For the follow-up test, use a qualified lab and be sure the results are confirmed by a medical review officer. If the employee tested positive because of a medication taken, a medical review officer can make note of that.

3. Consult a lawyer. Always have an attorney review the company’s policies for drug tests before conducting them. But if an employee tests positive, consult the lawyer once more about the proper (and legal) actions to take. States have different laws regarding treatment, termination and probation.

4. Remove the employee from the workplace. The employee should be relieved of all duties at work, particularly if she or he performs a safety-sensitive job.

5. Offer the services of an employee assistance program. This should be done before considering termination. Termination shouldn’t always be the consequence of testing positive for drugs, especially if it’s an employee’s first offense. Some states prohibit immediate termination.

Instead, provide the staffer the opportunity to participate in an employee assistance program for treatment or counseling. If the staffer refuses to participate or doesn’t complete treatment, however, termination may be the next step.

6. Set a probation period. If an employee participates in the assistance program and returns to work, the focus should be on continued recovery and easing back into work duties. Consider removing certain responsibilities or privileges for a period of time as a consequence of the positive tests or requiring temporary supervision and subsequent drug tests.

continued here http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237317

.......................................................................................................................................

NSA's list..

1) How about fuck off and mind your own goddamn business. ;)

What a bs article...if you test positive you are always contacted by a MRO. I tested positive for a lame weak benzo that I was rxd in the er and I had to send in a pic of the Rx bottle to the MRO guy to prove I had a small Rx for serax. Seriously mind your fucking biz Bossman or lady

1) How about fuck off and mind your own goddamn business.

Depends on the job. I don't give a crap if someone doing a desk job for a corporation is injecting coke into their eyeballs, but someone handling dangerous materials/machinery should be sober while doing so.

Drug use isn't the same as substance abuse.

What they do in their own time is no concern of mine. Start using it as an excuse for doing a poor job and any employer should have the right to sack you.

I would force them to be my dealer. At reduced prices.
Because of the power differential, they couldn't refuse!
Bwa ha ha! (evil laugh)

I would force them to be my dealer. At reduced prices.
Because of the power differential, they couldn't refuse!
Bwa ha ha! (evil laugh)

They could rip you off with terrible stuff and claim they can't get any better while using your money to get high themselves.

Substance abuse isn’t uncommon in the workplace. A recent study showed that 70 percent of the estimated 14.8 million Americans who use illegal drugs are employed. And drug abuse costs employers $81 billion annually. The most abused drug is marijuana, followed by cocaine and prescription drugs.

So alcohol doesn't count? Getting absolutely smashed isn't considered "abuse?" Hypocrites.

1. Anticipate excuses. Often employees won’t admit they’ve taken drugs. Whether they blame it on secondhand smoke, a faulty test or a poppy-seed muffin, you need to expect this type of response and know how to respond in an effective manner to unveil the truth.

Contrary to popular belief, eating anything with poppy seeds in it can result in a positive for opiates. Some suppliers don't do as good of a job washing the seeds as others - there is no strictly enforced regulation for this.

It's happened many times before.

I wonder how many politicians are tested for drugs?

The whole system is hilariously two-faced. Thank God that more and more people are noticing.

Need to get rid of these assholes and their double-standards. I swear they're dug into their respective communities like fucking ticks.

The sole exception would be for safety reasons, IMO (e.g. dangerous job).

My work knows I'm stoned 24/7 and I think they know Ima dope feen cuz a throw up and have to go home sometimes/general being high as a kite/ withdrawal stuff

When I applied for this restaurant I used to work at it it said "this is a drug free zone and you will be subjugated to random drug tests" but we never got tested and my friend once found our managers coke in the ladies room lol.

i use to work at a health food store , where i would suggest vitamins to the patrons but when the vitamin side was empty i would snort 30mg ir oxy off the cash register :)

A major part of this whole concept is that the employee that tested positive for drugs was very well liked employee, that was great at there job, and enjoyed and promoted a great deal of success for themselves and the company. So in having a positive test, with no factors to back that their drug use was causing any problems, does an employer then create problems where there are none when they test positive? Also the billions of dollars lost due to drug use is not an accurate statement as its based of money making propaganda promoted by big drug testing. I agree that when an employee's performance or reliability are not up to par then an employer has every right to try and find out why and take appropriate action. But in this case we are talking about employees that are performing above and beyond what the employer regularly encounters. So really is the personal life of an employe that performs and is highly valued at the company any of the companies business at this point?

Here is a real take on this that is based off fact and not big drug testing propaganda. It so funny how the characteristics that business are so desperate for and fail so utterly at promoting and finding, enjoy such a high level in drug users. Creativity, enginuity, original thought, thinking outside the box, ingenious problem solving, and the ability and balls to take on what others see as impossible just to name a few.

ACLU why drug testing is a bad investment.

Where would the world be without these amazing people and there significant contributions?

Who is your favorite drug addict(s) and/or user(s) of all time?

Its a tragedy that we shape and create their world in monumental ways yet are so negatively stigmatized, harassed, persecuted, exploited, imprisoned, and degraded.

Last edited:
Drug use isn't the same as substance abuse.

What they do in their own time is no concern of mine. Start using it as an excuse for doing a poor job and any employer should have the right to sack you.

In the U.S a company doesn't need an excuse to sack an employee. Poor performance in and of itself is grounds for termination.

Over here you need three warnings, at least the last one written. Even then it will end up at a mediation meeting with likely payout.