A close call

Yeah - on the ward we were allowed in the garden once an hour for a cig. Weed was common (but I don't use it), alcohol less common but I saw it used (epilepsy medication means alcohol is not a good plan for me). Other drugs I hear show up. Visitors aren't searched but most people who care enough to visit want their person WELL so usually don't want to bring.

I've visited friends in UK prisons. I'm severely disabled to the point that they have a screw pick me up at the gate and drive me to the lockers. I don't queue to go through metal detector (I'm full of metal so they have to use a hand-held one and ignore my right leg/hip. But then they never actually searched me. Don't get me wrong, I never smuggled anything in - I would just go so see mates and buy them drinks and junk food (they can have as much as they can eat).

That's what got me - some visiting areas were really grim. I mean 200 year old prison buildings. My mates all took it better than me. At last bell the screws would drive me back to the lockers and then to the gate. A few times they drove me to the bus stop.... but they tend to put the softer, more humane screws on visiting to make it seem better.

BTW we now have private prisons. The nickname for POs in those places is 'plastic screws' because they really cannot keep control. THAT is what is scary - gang culture is new here so their is no system to manage it so I would be a target for a protection scam. Yes, any prisoner can ask to be segregated, but that's full of nonces.

I don't really think this post is necessary, since there was only one individual in this thread who was being abrasive, argumentative and unhelpful, but please everyone remember that when you are posting in the Recovery Support forums, i.e. Health & Recovery and The Dark Side, we expect a high level of tact, compassion, kindness and empathy towards everyone who posts in here, especially the OPs. The content within these two special forums can be of a particularly sensitive nature for numerous reasons and this is why we moderate the threads in here so heavily. Please everyone keep that in mind whenever posting in the Recovery Support forums.

Thank you <3