• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

A chronic pain patient from spinal damage looking for ideas and options.

skornenicholas

Greenlighter
I believe they no longer bother with the "SWIM" non-sense here, if I am wrong, I'll happily correct it.
This is my current situation, I'm in my early 30's and have extruded or herniated discs on all levels, L1-L5.
I've had a laminectomy and two discectomies (L5-S1 & L4), which brought me back some mobility but not pain relief.
Now that my lumbar is all in so to speak, full degenerative disc disorder, I am looking at lumbar fusion as the only real option to keep any mobility on my left leg.
While hesitant, my PCP finally came around that due to the sheer amount of damage, non opiate therapy is simply not going to cut it.
I also suffer from epilepsy and am on three medications, which makes gabapentin and Lyrica quite iffy because they are in the same class of AEDs.
I have a very talented neurosurgeon who has been very honest, many of the nerves and nerve roots are dead to the point that they are beyond repair, but some can be saved.

As you can imagine, I am in quite a great deal of pain, I take hydrocodone 10mg 4xday. I am rather afraid to tell my doctor that I have had one too many sleepless and painful nights due my condition because I had a not so great doctor who yanked all my meds claiming I was faking the pain. My current one simply looked at my MRI and said "People lie, MRIs don't."
If gabapentin is out, and currently I have no cash for Lyrica as I have been out of work for too long, does anyone have any suggestions that wouldn't start ringing alarm bells in my PCPs head?
I'm drug tested every so often and have never failed, but I'll admit I've had times where the pain was so bad I took three of my Norco and hoped I slept as long as possible before I'd need a new dose.
I feel I need a long acting opiate, but given the current state of things, how do you broach that issue when things like OxyContin jumpstarted this insanity?
Right now it has spread from my back, left buttocks, all the way down my leg and into my foot, radiating out from my ankle to my big toe. I've tried to exercises and such, do them as often as I can, I just hope someone here might have some advice.

Thank you very much for your time

Hi
I'm in the same boat as you. I have had the left leg pain so badly. I used my right leg and front stomach muscles to help hold myself up from the bad back injuries and to take weight off my left leg and have given myself a huge hernia on the right lower side of my abdomen. So now I have the knife in the back and arrow in the side and can barely stand up. Getting showered and dressed is a monumental effort. I'm sure you know. I'm so sorry that you also have been living with this horrible chronic pain.

I take M.S Contin. It is a long acting morphine. I don't think there is anything better for actual pain. It numbs your body. It helps a lot and it lasts 12 hours. I was not given any instant relief med's. The M.S Contin does work really good. You are taking a whole lot of Tylenol with the hydrocodone. It causes liver failure and damage. Tell your doctor you are concerned about that and tell him how bad the pain is. Your sleeping is not regular. Etc. Ask him if you can switch to a long acting formula. I have not tried anything else.
I was given a choice between everything and I chose the M.S Contin. I figured that morphine has been around the longest,
It is pure and does not hurt the liver or any organs at all. It has been working for me for the last 7 years. I would be completely bed ridden without it.

Good luck to you and I send you lots of hugs and encouragement. We must have a different lifestyle now.

I agree, you have a legit case for long-acting opioids. Considering your situation, the benefits outweigh the risks. I don't think you need to tapdance around the subject with your doc, you are in a great deal of pain and MS Contintin or OC (long-acting oxycodone) will give you a chance to lead a semi-normal life again. Chronic pain patients often get put on MS Contin or OC once to twice a day and keep the hydrocodone (or Roxicodone - instant oxy with no tylenol) around for occasional use for breakthrough pain. If you are taking 40 mg/day of hydro then the amount of tylenol you are taking is not dangerous. They usually recommend no more than 3000-3500 mg tylenol per day depending on who you ask