• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

95% Grain alchohol + active compound + food coloring + big pile of powder = ?

itsbooming

Greenlighter
What would happen if you took a compound that was extremely sol in grain alchohol, and dumped it in , added some food coloring and then poured in on top of something like corn starch and mixed it up and laid it out in a pan or something to evap. Once it did, if the pile of powder was now flat and all appeared evenly colored. It is safe to assume that the colored powder contains the active chemical with some indication of the "evenness" of it being mixed in or would the fact that you've now colored the corn starch and the active compound negate this? Would it be something like it would be more even while it was no moved but if you scooped all the powder up and put it in the container the mol mass differences or whatever start to work against you?

What, exactly, are you trying to do?
"Cut" something...?...for resale...?...or even dosing...?

In either case your method seems "clunky"...if it's for ease of measurement and handling, then leave it in the EtOH and use a syringe to measure doses.

To answer your original question...Yep, you WILL have a big pile of powder....and a mess.

Thank you for your response. Will the mess have the active compound evenly distributed?

Thank you for your response. Will the mess have the active compound evenly distributed?

I t should as long as your powder doesn't have lumps or anything that could soak up more than its share...
I gonna guess, also, that if you use enough liquid to saturate the mess, then probably, you will have dark areas (rings) around the edges of your drying pan that will havea higher concentration than your powder.

It seems that maybe there's a better way...I ask again...what exactly are you doing.

I'm trying to convert a high concentration liquid into a lower concentration solid, evenly as possible with tools that I currently have.

I still appreciate the information about the rings being higher concentration and can develope this a little further with that knowledge. Thanks

I'd say it is not a guarantee because adding a coloring agent to a drug as a chaperone to check the dispersion / distribution does not actually link them together. They can still get separated based on the differences in physical properties. Which for example determine if a compound will precipitate in solution, like crash out or recrystallize, or if a compound will stick to something else (the carrier or cut in cases like these) because they have particular intermolecular interactions... etc do you get what I'm saying? If your active drug stops being soluble at a certain concentration, that doesn't mean the precipitating chunks will be especially colored. If anything they will stand out because they won't be... though that is not actually something you can use because the particles are a many and they are incredibly small of course.

Be careful.

What are you trying to do and why? We don't really help with drug manufacturing, though I'd like to help prevent you from making mistakes / accidents anyway if I can, hence this post / warning.
The only way I've ever done stuff like this is on a scale so small that I could afford quite large error margins and still be fine.

Thank you , this makes alot of sense. How do you figure out the intermolecular interactions? Is this governed by the mol mass? When you take a pill from your doctor, say a heart medication or something and it's a 10mg pill but the pill actually weighs half a gram how does the company making it evenly distribute the active compound in it? I appreciate your curosity wondering exactly what I am trying to do but I am embarassed and shy and prefer privacy to safety if I had to absolutely pick one and couldn't have both. I know this is a harm reduction site but also I can't force anyone to give me information and if you are offput to contributing more I would understand that and value the info I have gotten so far, who knows it could possibly save my life.

I'd say it is not a guarantee because adding a coloring agent to a drug as a chaperone to check the dispersion / distribution does not actually link them together. They can still get separated based on the differences in physical properties. Which for example determine if a compound will precipitate in solution, like crash out or recrystallize, or if a compound will stick to something else (the carrier or cut in cases like these) because they have particular intermolecular interactions... etc do you get what I'm saying? If your active drug stops being soluble at a certain concentration, that doesn't mean the precipitating chunks will be especially colored. If anything they will stand out because they won't be... though that is not actually something you can use because the particles are a many and they are incredibly small of course.

Be careful.

What are you trying to do and why? We don't really help with drug manufacturing, though I'd like to help prevent you from making mistakes / accidents anyway if I can, hence this post / warning.
The only way I've ever done stuff like this is on a scale so small that I could afford quite large error margins and still be fine.

a 10mg pill but the pill actually weighs half a gram how does the company making it evenly distribute the active compound in it?
with industrial grade labware you don't have access to. there is no way to be sure the compound will be evenly distributed among the cutting agent. in fact, even if it is initially, they might seperate again because of movement, you know, the effect when you mix 2 kinds of solids with each other and shake it... the larger particles will get on top of the smaller ones.

to be honest, your operation sounds fishy to me. what kind of drug do you want to cut and for what purpose. this is relevant for us to give you proper advice as well, but you being enigmatic about it suggests that you might not be doing it to dose it for yourself.

Yeah those would be the tricks of the pharmaceutical trade, if only it was so easy. Let's not play the guessing game about what you're up to, I guess you are not telling and I feel like we shouldn't go into detail how you should proceed either. Posts like that would be modded and it doesn't leave much of a point for this thread.

Anyway for more theory: there are (many) different kinds of interactions between same or different molecules. For example electrostatic forces including Pi-stacking between aromatic compounds, H-bonding, Adsorption (not absorption).
Molecular mass is not much of a factor IMO.
It's pretty hard to figure out and predict complex interactions like that, but it partially works similar to dissolution - which is also governed by the general affinity compounds have for each other.