911 call issues

911 call

Hi,

I was recently hanging out with some people who where shooting dope. One of the person seemed to OD and it looked like she was going to die. I called 911 using my phone. Is this going to be an issue? Are the cops going to come asking me what the fuck I was doing there and stuff?

I didn't shoot up, but I did have a few lines. When the cops arrived, they didn't even talk to me and I kind of just stood away from the whole thing. They where asking the other dude if she was doing heroin and stuff. I am pretty sure the cops figured out that she was shooting up, you can see the marks on her arms and stuff. And I think the dude and his chick where taken someplace, I am assuming the police department as I heard the cops saying that the chick was alright and she was breathing and stuff. I pretty sure they aren't going to mention that I was around, at least I hope so.

The issue is that I am an international student and I cannot have anything to do with H associated with my record. Should I be worried? If cops do come around, I am planning to say that I just stopped by to pick up my ipod that I left behind and that I saw the chick sleeping. The guy went to the bathroom and then suddenly he came out and started tripping out.

Any suggestions or knowledge about the fact that my number was used for the 911 call?

it can be an issue, but of course it should never prevent you from making a life-saving phone call. I've read on bl that if your call 911, and say your friend is not breathing, or not waking up, the EMTs will arrive without the police, but be just as capable of addressing an overdose.

pet peeve: leave 911 for life threatening calls. I hated being in the cruiser and dispatch sending me out to waggle my finger at teens smoking pot, cause some grandma called 911.

but for an OD...life or death vs possibly some jail time? kill your friend, or go to lock up for 8 months. what would you do?

. . . but for an OD...life or death vs possibly some jail time? kill your friend, or go to lock up for 8 months. what would you do?

Unfortunately, many people only think of themselves if there is a possibility they will go to jail and do let their "friends" die.:(

Maybe someone with legal background can give some more information, but isn't there a good samaritan law in place that offers limited immunity (you'd be ok for possession, but they could still arrest for trafficking or outstanding warrants, etc.) in the U.S. when calling 911 to report an overdose? Is this a state by state thing?

As for the OP's specific situation, I would assume if you were going to have any trouble you would have had it during the incident. I highly doubt they're going to come back on you now simply based on the fact that you were the one that called.

I agree with the above poster - if something was going to happen, it would have happened already - the police simply do not have the time or the motivation to sift through every phone record of every 911 call, follow up on it, drive back over, look for dope again -the only thing they could get you for is possession or selling, and if they were going to do that, they would have done it right when you called - being around someone overdosing isn't a crime - however, if you make a habit of it where all the paramedics in town know you and start to ask about your friends, that could become a bit awkward.

Unfortunately, many people only think of themselves if there is a possibility they will go to jail and do let their "friends" die.:(

Thats why I hate so much of society. Too afraid of the risks to do something to help someone else. fucking disgusting. No idea of duty or loyalty to one's friends or fellow humans.

this shit makes me sad, hell, if I was first on scene acting as an MP, I still wouldnt bust anyone, I get on life saving measures until EMS arrived.

makes me sad at coppers who'd bust someone in that circumstance, and sad that people don't realize that a lot of LEO's have a heart and just want to see someone come out alive and well, not just rack up charges like dick sizing contest.

I see both sides of the issue. That doesn't change the fact that I, in every circumstance, would gladly take jail time over the death of anyone in my presence, friend or not. Some people don't look at things this way, and understandably (to a degree) so. It's not an easy situation, and chances are that the parties involved are not thinking with clear, logical minds. It can easily be seen as a 'their life - or mine' scenario.

No, not all LE want to rack up charges, but it's a problem that they can. Focus should, imo, be placed on saving lives instead of criminalizing drug use.

Apparently Maryland just enacted a '911 Good Samaritan Law' this month, but left the legislation so vague that LE still has the option of arriving and making arrests for possession.:(

It's something that varies state to state.

I agree. and standing orders for MP's right now state that in life or death calls, #1 is to save lives. charges are secondary, and only for violence/dui/negligence. an OD call is not to pursued beyond life saving measures. and possibly taking them to ER or helping ambulance by being faster and blocking intersects so it can sail though full speed.

Why cant other po depts do the same thing. as its an order, I can not rack up charges. that would get me charged with disobey lawful command.

I somehow get the feeling American police are more jerk infested then up here. once more, humanity disappointed me and caused RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE