• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

90 mg fast release compared to 200mg er

Chronicpainmom

Greenlighter
I take 90 mg morphin a day is it safe to take a full 200 mg er. I've broken it and took an er before but I rather not do it again. I have a high tolerance for ops so would it be OK to go from 30mg reg morphin 3 times a day to one 200 mg er morphine? In the past I was on three16mg kadian tablets twice a day and 15mg fast release morphine for break through 3 times a day and I was fine but its been a while since I've been on such a high dose. Is it safer to take the whole pill and have it release normal or break it and take a piece at a time.

Hi, Welcome to Bluelight! Good questions!

I used to switch around many opiates, fast and slow release personally; although I don't feel comfortable giving advice without more information. Thanks for joining - I am going to move your post to another section. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions about the site. :)

--

NMI --- > BDD.

That's more than double your stated usual dose. If you take 30mg 3x day that would almost be like taking 2.5 30mg tablets 3x day. Not sure the timeframe of your three doses but if divided equally over 24hrs then 200mg ER would be even stronger than that since it lasts only 12 hours. Your previous morphine dosage altogether was ~150mg/24 hours which is equivalent to ~100mg of oxycodone/24hrs, not 200mg/12hrs. If you do break it take only a 1/4 at a time (~50mg) as breaking a time release pill can cause the full amount to release at once. Not saying it can't be done but for sake of harm reduction I would not recommend taking that dose unless your tolerance increases.

It depends how the pill is formulated. Some just have a coating designed to slow the release, others have a "matrix" formulation through the whole tablet, others have both. It's pretty hard to compare doses of IR vs. ER because of this. Since you're spreading 90 mg throughout the day my guess is taking the whole 200 mg at once would probably be too much even for an ER. Maybe take half and give it an hour or two and see what the effect is. The proof is kinda in the pudding with this one.