• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

9 Terribly Disturbing Things About Electronic Cigarettes

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
By now, you've probably seen them being smoked on the subway or in a bar -- those shiny, futuristic, battery-operated nicotine inhalers better know as electronic cigarettes that are apparently all the rage these days. Big Tobacco companies have taken notice, too, and are determined to cash in on the industry, which is expected to bring in $1.7 billion in U.S. sales this year alone, according to The New York Times.

While much is still unknown about the health risks of e-cigarettes, here’s what we do know: E-cigarettes are addicting. And while they may not be as harmful as tobacco cigarettes, critics like the British Medical Association and the World Health Organisation are wary of the trend and warn of the dangers that may be associated with the smoking devices.

Here's what we do know about e-cigarettes:

1. E-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals.

A 2009 FDA analysis of e-cigarettes from two leading brands found that the samples contained carcinogens and other hazardous chemicals, including diethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze. Last year, a report from Greek researchers found that using e-cigarettes increased breathing difficulty in both smokers and non-smokers, according to Medical News Today.

2. Kids and teens can buy them.

Unlike other tobacco products, e-cigarettes can be sold to minors in many places throughout the country. The smoking devices can also be bought legally online, according to the Wall Street Journal.

3. While cigarette companies say they don't market to kids, e-cigarettes come in flavors like cherry, strawberry, vanilla and cookies and cream milkshake.

4. Laws regulating cigarette ads don't yet apply to e-cigarettes.

TV commercials for cigarettes may be banned, but ones for e-cigarettes sure aren't, Adage points out. (The above ad for Blu eCigs features Jenny McCarthy.)

cont at
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/electronic-cigarettes_n_3818941.html

Well...they are no more dangerous than cigarettes and less due to no smoke..at least this is how I look at it. Of course they addicting, they still have the active ingredient that is in cigarettes.

Out of the nine things on the list the only thing that seemed to be 'disturbing' was the first one. The other 8 should just be in their own list of "8 reasons why big tobacco hates e-cigarettes."

1. said:
A 2009 FDA analysis of e-cigarettes from two leading brands found that the samples contained carcinogens and other hazardous chemicals, including diethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze. Last year, a report from Greek researchers found that using e-cigarettes increased breathing difficulty in both smokers and non-smokers, according to Medical News Today.

The rest were just about their ease of access and growing popularity through advertisement. Is it really terribly disturbing that companies spend a ton of money on advertising, and that they make e-cigarettes in a variety of flavors that can be smoked in public places, and the customers don't have to pay the same taxes as with buying cigarettes? Also, they do help you quit smoking cigarettes, but they just did a play on words by just saying 'smoking' since they are making it seem like they don't help you quit smoking cigarettes by saying they don't help you quit smoking since I'm sure that they are considering smoking e-cigarettes still smoking.

Last edited:
Since smoking these beautiful clean gadgets instead of ciggarettes, my chest has cleared, and I don't cough constantly all the time; my health has improved.

Since smoking these beautiful clean gadgets instead of ciggarettes, my chest has cleared, and I don't cough constantly all the time; my health has improved.

I don't know if you can say that your health has improved (aside from the respiratory difficulties which have subsided) since you don't know the damage that the e-cigarettes are doing.

I am pro e-cigarette and I think that they are definitely healthier than cigarettes, but I'm still being realistic in realizing that we don't know much about them yet.

Did you know that the tobacco they use in cigarettes is sprayed with ALL KINDS OF CRAP before its made into cigarettes?? Im talking nasty stuff like striknine...{not sure about spelling} also the active ingredient in antifreeze. I dont think the e-cigs arent dangerous...but I do think they are much less dangerous than the tradtional cigarette...just my opinion..and..I still smoke 3 to 5 cigarettes a day...along with my e-cigs...

I use them alot when I am in the hospital, and I find that I smoke them more then I would regular cigarettes when I am not in. I do wonder what kind of effect's they do have on my health, I know smoking either is not good, but they do not have anything out there really that tells us how bad they are or what they are doing to us.

I understand that, and it's a concern for sure, but I'm noticing palpable physical improvements here.

I just wish a quit smoking company such as niccorette had released this thing originaly; you can bet their wouldn't be such an air of uncertainty around these devices.

I don't know if you can say that your health has improved (aside from the respiratory difficulties which have subsided) since you don't know the damage that the e-cigarettes are doing.

I am pro e-cigarette and I think that they are definitely healthier than cigarettes, but I'm still being realistic in realizing that we don't know much about them yet.

Didnt mean to replicate...I think you and i posted at the same time :)

I forgot to mention that my old man has been smoke free for 4 months thanks to these e-cigs...so i certainly hope they are better for us than smoking cigs ,,,

Well they have definitely cut down my smoking by a lot that's for sure, from a pack a day to a pack a week. For the record I'm not using e cigarettes to quit either.

It's not the nicotine that kills you. It's the smoke and what's in it. I quit smokes the first day I went to e-cigs.

I smoke e-cigs all the time... I have my taste in food back, I can workout harder, and for fucks sake... I get a stronger nico buzz!!!

E-cigs are the tobacco lobby's biggest fear.

E-fuck all the haters, i'm blowin cherry-bubble gum flavored vapor in all your general directions...

They helped me quit a ten year cigarette smoking habit. I no longer use an e-cigarette either and have been nicotine free for over a year. I do think they should be regulated like cigarettes to be out of minor's hands.

I saw an older friend of mine who smoked a lot of cigs, he pulled out an e-cig and took a few puffs. Then I realized all the yellow stains he used to have on his fingers, mustache, etc were gone and he didn't reek like tobacco.
He said he has been smoking e-cigs for a few months and said he feel much better.

3. While cigarette companies say they don't market to kids, e-cigarettes come in flavors like cherry, strawberry, vanilla and cookies and cream milkshake.

Because, as we all know, once you turn 18 you stop enjoying sweet flavors 8)

Also, I've noticed my lungs don't hurt anymore, my ugly stains have gone, I don't stink of tobbaco, and I can run a lot further now. I'm also saving a lot of money too. I really hope they don't ban these things; I just want them to regulate them properly to remove the uncertainty of them.

I was taking the train today and heard the announcement "just a reminder, the smoking of cigarettes and e-cigarettes is banned on the train platform" so it looks like there are indeed some regulations on where you are allowed to smoke them. I'm not sure why they did that, maybe so that the police don't have to deal with distinguishing between the two, although it's not that difficult, but I guess it may be from afar and we all know they don't want to have to waste their energy walking 50 feet over to a person to find out.

Most of these arguments seem like "because it's easy to get an e-cigarette, it's bad for you".

Also, I fail to see how e-cigs could be considered equally or more harmful than combusted tobacco. It may not be *healthy* for you, but it's not as terribly destructive to your lungs.