• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5htp & tyrosine

Insofar as 5htp actually does increase serotonergic function centrally, yes, it should modulate dopaminergic transmission downstream, but in selective areas. This set of downstream effects tends not to cause anything undesirable. Eg, you might find yourself just generally acting less compulsively (but probably not), but you are unlikely to experience anhedonia, moderately to severely hindered motivation, etc. And then, as endotropic noted, 5htp might be converted to 5ht too quickly to pass the BBB in significant amounts (5ht doesn't cross the BBB very well, nor does dopamine). In this respect, tryptophan supplementation tends to be a bit more effective for a lot of people.

As for the tyrosine supplement, it's superfluous if you eat a decent diet--tyrosine is not particularly dietarily rare.

ebola

edit: The lead author (Dr. Uncini) runs his own independent medical laboratory, DBS labs, which you can read about here: http://labdbs.com/
Just read those first two paragraphs and make up your own mind.

Yeah, I've seen this before. Also, most of the studies seem to published directly to pubmed and as far as I can tell, they aren't peer reviewed.

This is how they work
The novel approach described in this writing requires the administration of serotonin and dopamine amino acid precursors with cofactors to reach the Phase III therapeutic ranges (herein referred to as the target ranges) as guided by the use of urinary serotonin and urinary dopamine organic cation transporter (OCT) functional status determination (herein referred to as ‘OCT assay interpretation’).2–5

The basis for the OCT assay interpretation model requires two or more serial urinary serotonin and dopamine assays while taking varied amino acid precursor daily dosing values. Results of two or more assays are then compared in order to determine the change in urinary serotonin and dopamine levels in response to the change in dosing. A urinary serotonin or dopamine value <80 or 475 μg of monoamine per gram of creatinine, respectively, indicates Phase II responses. A urinary serotonin or dopamine value >80 or 475 μg of monoamine per gram of creatinine, respectively, is interpreted as being in Phase I or Phase III. Differentiation of Phase I from phase III is a follows. If a direct correlation is found between amino acid dosing and urinary assay response, it is referred to as a Phase III response. An inverse correlation is referred to as a Phase I response. The Phase III therapeutic range for urinary serotonin is defined as 80–240 μg of serotonin per gram of creatinine. The Phase III therapeutic range for urinary dopamine is defined as 475–1100 μg of dopamine per gram of creatinine.2–5

Peer-reviewed scientific publications discussing urinary serotonin and urinary dopamine phase analysis under the OCT model were published in 20092,4 and 2010.3,5 These publications outlined the mechanisms of the ‘three-phase model’ in connection with urinary serotonin and urinary dopamine under a novel renal transporter model. This transporter model potentially describes the etiology of the ‘three-phase response’ in monoamine assays during the administration of varied amino acid precursor daily dosing values.3 Urinary serotonin and dopamine levels are primarily dependent upon the interaction of the basolateral monoamine transporters with the apical monoamine transporters of the proximal convoluted renal tubule cells of the kidneys.3

Will take a look at the peer reviewed publications as I find the time.

I think Tyrosine definitely does something because even though i should not be deficient in it at all i definitely noticed a stimulant effect when i added a combo of L-Tyrosine pill with Vitamin B6 and B12 pills to the Bupropion i was also taking for bipolar depression. After less then a week it drove me into a manic episode that even the Lamotrigine, Risperidone and Quetiapine combo had a hard time controlling. So these supplements are definitely not placebo atleast when taken with anti-depressants anyway imo

As for the tyrosine supplement, it's superfluous if you eat a decent diet--tyrosine is not particularly dietarily rare.
ebola

That's not my personnal experience. I found that supplementing 1-2g tyrosine create a low but noticable "psychoactive" effect. Didn't found it with 5HTP nor tryptophan.