• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction 5HTP and curcumin?

CarlysleMoon

Greenlighter
Hi there

Recently I have been suffering from moderate depression. I really don't want to jump straight down the antidepressant route, but I really need something to help me, I'm getting to the end of my tether!
I have read promising reports about curcumin ( from tumeric) and certain other herbal remedies, and also 5HTP.
From my research, all the other remedies I am about to try are all safe when combined, the only question I have is with regards to whether curcumin is safe to be combined with 5HTP? I haven't been able to find any research suggesting that it isn't safe to combine them, however I did read that curcumin has some MAOI activity (although this isn't what is thought to contribute to its antidepressant properties- that is supposed to be due to its anti-inflammatory effects) , but I am not sure how strong this is. St Johns Wort can be taken safely with 5HTP, as it is a weak MAOI, I'm wondering (and hoping) if it is the same with tumeric/curcumin?

Would anyone have any insight into this?

Many thanks!

Don't know the answer to your question (I'm like you - too lazy to google) but I will say that it's almost pointless to take circumin in it's natural unformulated form since it's bioavailability is notoriously low. Read the following for more information on alternatives with better pharmacokinetics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918523/

Yes thank you, I already have something to take with it (can't remember the name- beings with 'p' I think..) to increase its bioavailability.

Should I assume that it's ok because numerous google searches bring up nothing... :/

The 'p' compound you're thinking of is most likely piperine, an extract (and main constituent) of black pepper

Somewhat off-topic but you might wanna try kanna. Just have your system cleared of the 5htp and st.johns wort