• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

[5-HTP] High dosing takes away all of the tuesday blues for me.

Wayne Gretzky

Bluelighter
I think swedger or someone gave the tips to high dosing 5-htp the day after would work wonders. Think he wrote about doing super high doses and then a ladder downwards for a few days. I must say that this work wonders for me and take away all those depressive feeling i can get.

So first days i do like 600-800mg per day and then lower it. In the past i used way smaller doses and it didnt really help me at all. Sure consuming large amounts of 5-htp costs some money but i think it worth it. Especially if you are on a vacation like in ibiza.

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited your thread title with 5-HTP so it doesn't look like you're advocating high doses of MDMA to avoid the crash.

5-HTP in such high doses is not likely to be effective. The limiter in serotonin synthesis from 5-HTP is a combination of zinc, B6, magnesium, and vitamin C along with the enzyme dopa decarboxylase. Such high doses are quite likely mostly wasted.

When I used to use 5-HTP for post-loading, I stopped at 300mg and I found that to actually be a bit too much (nausea, malaise, and a few times I even hallucinated). Less is more with it and that's if its going to be beneficial at all. If you don't have the co-factors or enough dopa decarboxylase, you can eat all the 5-HTP in the world and get no effects from it at all.

5-HTP has never done shit for me, in fact it always made things worse. 5-HTP does nothing but give me the most fucked up, vivid nightmares and severe sleep paralysis. 5-HTP has never helped anybody I know either however they also don't have the same sleep paralysis issue that both me and my girlfriend both get. I chalk up alot of 5-HTP's benefits to placebo, the fact that in theory 5-HTP should work instills it in people minds as fact. Doesn't 5-HTP have an incredibly shitty BA?

I don't know about BA but the fact that oral ingestion means dopa decarboxylase gets a hold of it before the brain and the fact that serotonin doesn't cross the blood brain barrier tells me that it's likely snake oil.

Maybe that's what I read and somehow translated to a poor BA. In a way though I guess what you decribe is pretty much equivalent to having a shitty BA, I mean it doesn't sound like any of it is really being utilized.

Edit: Actually I was right, it's hard to find the bioavailability of oral 5-HTP alone but combined with caridopa the average bioavailabilty was 48% and taking caridopa with 5-HTP was said to increase bioavailability 5-15 fold. In other words, shit BA and inability to cross the BBB, my vote goes to snake oil.

Last edited:
100-200mg 5-htp a few days after MDMA does it for me. No need to push the doses so high.

I'd recommend to never take 5-htp 24h or more prior MDMA. It diminished my roll significantly. I had to take like over 300mg of MDMA to get desired effects, as my friend took 100-150mg from the same batch and rolled hard. I didn't have tolerance either.

Despite the inability to cross the BBB, time and time again I'll have significantly more vivid dreams on nights I take it (200-300mg). I've often forgotten I've even taken it some nights, sorta ruling out conscious placebo effect I guess.

Why do people still buy into 5-HTP? What ever happened to tryptophan?

Why do people still buy into 5-HTP? What ever happened to tryptophan?

Tryptophan is useless post-MDMA because tryptophan hydroxylase, which turns tryptophan into 5-HTP before dopa decarboxylase turns 5-HTP into 5-HT, is severely diminished for awhile. 5-HTP was seen as a way around that. The problem is that it very likely turns into serotonin before it passes the BBB (especially true if carbidopa increased its BA so much) which means that it wouldn't make it to the brain where it is needed and would be used elsewhere in the body.