• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-HTP and Dextroamphetamine

would use of vitamin b6 reduce risk of cystic fibrosis while taking 5htp?

I wouldn't imagine so.. if anything it'd increase the risk by enhancing 5-HTP conversion to serotonin, as vitamin B6 is the primary limiting cofactor required in the enzymatic reaction.

i heard the mix was great...and very addictive..i read a few reports on erowid. they say it adds much to the mix....now my friend only gets adderall but i hear the mix is good also..

i hope its not agaisnt the rules to post something from another site...if it is...feel free to deleate..

"DOSE: 20 mg oral Amphetamines (daily)
100 mg oral Tryptophan (daily)

BODY WEIGHT: 185 lb

Here are my initial findings regarding the pair up of 5-HTP with my Adderall scrip.

I am an adult male, 38yo 185lbs., and have moderate experience with Meth (10 times) a few years ago. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and Adderall has made a huge improvement with my ability to function in an adult-like manner.

The Adderall is great for my thought processes, but horrible on my body. My PDOC put me on Dexedrine for 1 month, but those were like sleeping pills to me! I have been on the same Adderall 20mg dose for over 1 year, and I have found that my body is suffering. I get shaky, achey, and a general pseudo-alertness that does not compare to a great night's rest.

I read info about 5-HTP, and decided to give it a try. My hope with the 5-HTP was to help with relaxation, since the addy's make my body tense. After 3 days of 100mg 5-HTP taken in the mornings, my mind and body opened up. The synergy I feel between my thoughts, emotions, and full body energy are wonderful. Whereas on Adderall alone, my thought processes are improved over no drugs, yet my body feels disconnected at times. There are times when the Adderall makes me feel great, however I never know what I am going to feel from day to day. Maybe that has something to do with excess Dopamine flooding, which leaves little room for Serotonin action?? I know Meth acts in the same way as Amphetamine, with the added bonus of some minor Serotonin stimulation, so maybe this is a connection??

Actually, I started thinking about how much my new combo feels like Meth. On Adderall alone, I would get a loopy, drugged feeling at times. With Adderall + 5-HTP I feel crisp, alert and energized. I remember this same feeling from Meth. Not high, just perfect, sharp, mentally focused (the part I need for ADHD) and full of energy. So, it must be that Dopamine flooding alone is not such a good thing, and having a Serotonin boost from the 5-HTP helps the Adderall to mimic Meth.

One other thing to mention. If I ever ran into a night with little sleep (less than 5 hours) I remember Meth would get me through the day feeling normal. I have found Adderall to be woefully inadequate in this regard. The fake body stimulation is really draining... unless you take it along with 5-HTP!!! Got me through the day with only 4 hours sleep. =) Honestly, Adderall should not be scripted without 5-HTP IMHO!

Also, with the 5-HTP, my mood is better, I am MUCH less prone to agrivation, agitation, and I sleep deeper and dream more. An added bonus is I don't have the nasty comedown from the Adderall at the end of the day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this combo will remain through the weeks/months. "

cool, im going to nursing school next year so maybe you 1337 pharmacology guys can explain this to me!

"5-HTP crosses the blood-brain barrier, while 5-HT does not. Excess 5-HTP, especially when administered with Vitamin B6, is thought to be metabolized and excreted."

Thats from wiki, your saying the risk of CF is increased because with B6 the 5htp is metabolized in higher quantities into serotonin which ups risk for CF?

cool, im going to nursing school next year so maybe you 1337 pharmacology guys can explain this to me!

"5-HTP crosses the blood-brain barrier, while 5-HT does not. Excess 5-HTP, especially when administered with Vitamin B6, is thought to be metabolized and excreted."

Thats from wiki, your saying the risk of CF is increased because with B6 the 5htp is metabolized in higher quantities into serotonin which ups risk for CF?

Indeed, you are correct. Though excess 5-HTP is eventually metabolized and excreted, while it is still present in the blood, it can affect the heart and cause pulmonary hypertension; which, with consistent and chronic dosing, may develop into full-blown and potentially lethal cardiac fibrosis, given that enough time goes by with the pulmonary hypertension present that is.

See this quote which I posted elsewhere for more information:

Through excessive activation of the serotonin 5-HT2B receptors, [drugs and supplement which elevate serotonin concentrations such as the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and related antidepressants] may sometimes significantly increase blood pressure in the pulmonary artery of the heart, putting heavy strain on it as a result, thereby causing pulmonary hypertension, and may potentially even cause the often fatal cardiac fibrosis; hence, at least regarding the former, the chest pain you're experiencing. It should be noted, however, that the risk of full-blown cardiac fibrosis is considered to be substantially low, and no one has even known to have fully developed it as a result of taking an SSRI, with the notable exception of newborns in pregnant mothers taking them that is. Nonetheless, the risk is still indeed present, especially that of pulmonary hypertension; which, on the other hand, has been reported numerous times.

The anorectic agent fenfluramine (Pondimin, Fen-Phen), which is a selective serotonin releasing agent (SSRA), as well as potent 5-HT2B receptor agonist, was withdrawn from the market in 1997 because it caused numerous heart failures and killed a bunch of people, as well as required many heart transplants in those that managed to survive, on account of the effect.

Other drugs and supplements which have been prominently associated with the adverse side effect include aminorex (Menocil) and chlorphentermine (Apsedon, Desopimon, Lucofen) (both of which have been widely discontinued as a result), anything that acts as a potent and direct serotonin 5-HT2B receptor agonist (such as methysergide (Sansert) and pergolide (Permax)), and 5-HTP, as well as the illicit street drugs MDMA (Ecstasy; E, X, XTC) and its chemical relatives, and 4-methylaminorex (4-MAR, 4-MAX; Ice, EU4EUH (or Euphoria)). The SSRIs, selective-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), other serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) like sibutramine (Meridia, Reductil), and MAOIs, as well as L-tryptophan and pretty much anything that else that can significantly elevate general serotonin levels, may all cause it to a somewhat less common extent.

Don't worry though, it's fine if you get it acutely or for only a short period of time (i.e., a few weeks to months), but when you take an antidepressant or another kind of drug or supplement that significantly elevates serotonin levels chronically for a very long period of time (i.e., years) with the effect present, it can be extremely dangerous.

By the way, for more information, see these three articles (especially the second one):

As well as these:

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Ah got it, I learned something new :D. Thanks for explaining that man

Ah got it, I learned something new :D. Thanks for explaining that man

I would love to know what you learned here. Unfortunately the response you learned from has disappeared. Any chance that someone could enlighten me?

Reactions: CFC
The trip report by @NoArtFlav a few posts above (but from 2009) sounds a lot like it was norepinephrine that was being activated as much as it was dopamine. For some reason when we discuss stimulants we talk almost exclusively about dopamine when so much of the experience is attributable to norepinephrine effects (which of course ultimately relies upon dopamine to create norepinephrine in the first place IIRC)