• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-ht1b as the piperazine antitarget

atara

Bluelighter
Piperazines suck. But why? Often we have blamed 5-ht2c.

"TFMPP has affinity for the 5-HT1A (Ki = 288 nM), 5-HT1B (Ki = 132 nM), 5-HT1D (Ki = 282 nM), 5-HT2A (Ki = 269 nM), and 5-HT2C (Ki = 62 nM) receptors, and functions as a full agonist at all sites except the 5-HT2A receptor "

But there is another receptor here which is not normally a primary target of psychedelics.

"In the frontal cortex, it is believed to act as a postsynaptic receptor inhibiting the release of dopamine. In the basal ganglia and the striatum, evidence suggests 5-HT signaling acts on an autoreceptor, inhibiting the release of serotonin[9] and decreasing glutamatergic transmission by reducing miniature excitatory postsynaptic potential (mEPSP) frequency,[10] respectively. In the hippocampus, a recent study has demonstrated that activation of postsynaptic 5-HT1B heteroreceptors produces a facilitation in excitatory synaptic transmission which is altered in depression.[11] When the expression of 5-HT1B in human cortex was traced throughout life, significant changes during adolescence were observed, in a way that is strongly correlated with the expression of 5-HT1E.[12]

Outside the brain, 5-HT1B receptor activation also has vascular effects, such as pulmonary vasoconstriction."

Notably, while LSD binds to a lot of serotonin receptors, it avoids this one, although it still binds 5-ht2c:

edit: apparently the piperazines are all potent broad-spectrum CYP inhibitors, and while I don't know if that could have any effect on their psychological profile it means that the class is not worth exploring even if there are variants with good serotonin activity (while it won't cause nausea by itself, it could easily cause nausea if you have taken or eaten ~anything weird)

Last edited:
Continuing: the case of mCPP.

The curious phenomenon here and what started me on this journey is to find the difference between the piperazines and 2C-B. The latter is rather pleasant; the former are not. Functional assays show that 2C-B is mostly antagonistic at 5-HT2a and a partial agonist at 5-HT2c:

The pharmacology of mCPP is quite similar (this kind of FLIPR assay usually detects PLC induction but I haven't checked):

It has some activity at 5HT1b, but not enough to explain why it is so much worse than 2C-B. But mCPP is additionally an antagonist at 5-ht2b, which has been suggested to be the primary target of benzofuran-6-ylisopropylamine (6-APB), which acts as a potent 5-HT2b agonist and weak NDRI, producing entactogenic effects. I have not found much data regarding the affinity of 2C-B for 5-HT2b but the few available studies suggest its affinity for the receptor is low.

Supporting this hypothesis, one study found that some effects of 2C-B (in rats) are blocked by 5-HT2b antagonism:

5-ht2c is not fully off the hook, but maybe it has been blamed for too much? It would be interesting to see 2C-EF for comparison.

Interesting. In the past I suggested taking MDMA (70MG) along Ephylone (100MG) with 4F-PP (20mg) and it was very well received, people enjoying it more than Just a one of these by itself. Maybe the agonism of 5ht2b by MDMA is stronger than the piperazines' antagonism creating An equilibrium in "the alchemy". It was a very strong high and the piperazine played a cruciale role, higher doses of MDMA and Ephylone combi not being as enjoyable.

In the case of MDMA there is some evidence that the mood (pro-social) and behavioral effects of MDMA are partly mediated through 5-HT1B receptors, but not the reinforcing effects

https://www.nature.com/articles/1395534.pdf?origin=ppub

I always thought the main issue that people had with pipes with was the nausea (throwback to my sister dry-heaving for 4 hours straight) and 5-HT1A full agonists are apparently not tolerated in humans because of GI tract side effects, but the sympathetic nervous system activation was my main issue with them and it looks like 5-HT1B receptor activation can increase locomotion and OCD-like behaviors in mice

bzp induced headaches at normal dosages, but i heard of people taking up to 1,2g in one setting. tfmpp did not had this problem comming with it, if was ok but still a bit meh.

btw, fubar is gay..

I’d say the article provided two posts above regarding MDMA doesn’t tell us much other than the knockout mice were less stimulated, nothing else.

5-ht2c is hit by Mescaline too I believe, and we all love us some Mescaline.

-GC

Beyond serotonin 5ht1b is a sort of a mysterious heteroreceptor will seemingly diverse inhibitory action, there arent selective antagonists for it. Not sure if that explains why piperazine psychedelics are dysphoric, though perhaps it does in part.

If you take a bunch of trazodone youll get enough mCPP in your system. At least i think ive felt it. I think its even more selective for 5ht1b than tfmpp

and the focus solely on receptor binding is a bit oversimplyfying, functional selectivity is where its at.

Beyond serotonin 5ht1b is a sort of a mysterious heteroreceptor will seemingly diverse inhibitory action, there arent selective antagonists for it. Not sure if that explains why piperazine psychedelics are dysphoric, though perhaps it does in part.

If you take a bunch of trazodone youll get enough mCPP in your system. At least i think ive felt it. I think its even more selective for 5ht1b than tfmpp

This is interesting. Mainly cuz the vet gave my dog trazodone for anxiety before going in and it seemed to have the opposite effect making her seem sad and paranoid. I’ve never taken it personally but dysphoric would describe how she seemed from my point of view.

I accidentally took an unknown pipe one time and got a 24hr headache from it that only subsided when I took some legit MDMA lol.

-GC

Yeah you can feel it the day after. Take 100-150mg+ and the next day dysphoria is unmistakable. I would imagine this fades over time. Has a sort of emotional volatility to it, a sort of hypersensitivity to things.