• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-HT syndrome potential?

doxylamine

Greenlighter
As of today, all products containing codeine and dihydrocodeine are no longer available over-the-counter in my country (Australia). Apart from these, the only other anti-tussive that works for me and is still OTC here is DXM - which due to being a serotonin reuptake inhibitor I am no longer supposed to take since I am prescribed Tranylcypromine. The thing is, there are plenty of medications that are officially contraindicated but in reality are safe to use concurrently with MAOIs up to a certain point, amphetamine being one. I even foolishly took MDMA while on Moclobemide years ago (grown up since then) and was fine, though it doesn't mean everyone will be and NO ONE SHOULD DO THIS.

So my question is, seeing as dose makes the poison... would normal doses of DXM for cough suppression, say 10-30mg, really have that much effect on SERT and synaptic serotonin levels to be highly problematic and likely to promote serotonin syndrome when used while taking Tranylcypromine or another MAOI?

Simply seeking opinions here - I would not withhold disclosing my medication status to a pharmacist to get DXM based on any replies here, and neither should anyone reading this. Thanks in advance :)

The following is not meant to substitute for the advice of a medical professional

I would double check with a doctor and a pharmacist and listen to them first and foremost, but at very low doses (10mg) I believe its unlikely that DXM would cause you any real trouble. The antitussive effects are supposed to be active at very low doses, so I would start extremely low and go from there, if you're going to do this.

Taking DXM recreationally on the other hand could be disastrous.

CY