• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-APBD and Metabolites

Ryouge

Greenlighter
Does anybody have any information on the pharmacology of this chemical and the metabolism routes in takes into the body?

I'm wondering how similar to MDMA/MDA it is. I really can't find much information at all on the chemical, but it just felt so similar to MDA/MDMA that I'm wondering how similar it acts.

Thanks!

Would we expect to ring-opening catabolism, yielding alpha-methyl-dopamine (and n-methyl-alpha-methyl-dopamine) a la MDxx?

ebola

Given that we don't see e.g. 2c-E being converted to the phenol (carbon-carbon bond breaking being rather unfavourable), I expect not.

If anything the APBs would open to a 3-hydroxy-4-hydroxyethyl-amphetamines.

Last edited:
Not neccesarily - the 3,4-dihydroxy compound is toxic probably because of its ability to easily oxidise to a quinone and back. You can't neccesarily say the same for the ring opened AP(D)Bs.

DjmEpRz.png

I'm not sure if the aromatic benzofurans would open - maybe only the dihydrofurans. The furan ring is a lot more stable then a methylenedioxy ring.

The rate of ring opening would likely be fairly low in any case given that acetals are orders of magnitude easier to break than plain ethers; tetrahydrofuran is not metabolised appreciably to butanediol in vitro, for instance.

Either way there's no concern of alphamethyldopamine being formed.

Last edited:
FtuaIRN.png

The catechol (a-methyldopamine) can be oxidised to a quinone and back (redox cycling), which is thought to be the cause of oxidative stress, but the hydroxyethyl compound would be irrversibly oxidised to a carboxylic acid.

IkMbuhs.png

Related compounds like 3-MeO-4-Me-amphetamine are considered oxidatively nontoxic compared to MDA by Nichols' studies. And so are sompounds like the presumed metabolic products of mephedrone and e.g. 4-hydroxyamphetamine. The 3- and 4-fluoroamphetamines also lack the ability to form a toxic quinone as fluorine is not generally metabolically removed from aromatic rings.

KptOUxV.png

Last edited: