• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

4mmc safety

Actually one of the big issues with 5htp supplementation taken orally is the peripheral increase in serotonin

Iirc taking tryptophan results in better increases in brain 5ht
Do you have anything to support what you're saying? Just because 5-HTP is laying around doesn't mean that it automatically converts to serotonin.

5-HTP does cross the blood brain barrier. I don't know why you think it doesn't.

5-HT on the other hand, which is serotonin, does not cross the blood-brain barrier.
I always thought it didn't as the level of serotonin increase didn't feel noticeable and most of it would circulate in the blood stream...But then the effects on sleep were slightly noticeable so perhaps due to melatonin...

I always thought it didn't as the level of serotonin increase didn't feel noticeable and most of it would circulate in the blood stream...But then the effects on sleep were slightly noticeable so perhaps due to melatonin...
I understand that you think taking 5-HTP would automatically lead to an increase in serotonin. However, that isn't how it works.

Yes, 5-HTP is the precursor to serotonin, but it isn't just instantly turned into serotonin. Things have to happen for your body to convert 5 HTP to serotonin. Even more things have to happen or to be released.

@snmfmy

I like you. You seem knowledgeable. I suppose your right regarding the mitochondria.

If you dont mind. In a short summary. What do you believe the biggest risks with taking mephedrone are then?

snmfmy has some very respectable knowledge I have repeatedly witnessed. But we need to remember, we do not have enough research over several generations about the "issue" in hand to make final conclusions.

Please, do listen to your body and your gut feeling. Take breaks of drugs. It seems that 4-mmc can be consumed in much higher rate than, say, MDMA, according to several people I have read posts from, but it is still hard drug, and it is best for your health and well-being to not entirely rely upon it or wait for it all the month. It might be there is some adversary effects only studies waiting to be executed, will point out.

@snmfmy

I like you. You seem knowledgeable. I suppose your right regarding the mitochondria.

If you dont mind. In a short summary. What do you believe the biggest risks with taking mephedrone are then?

1. Mixing with alcohol because pretty much every stimulant becomes more toxic (or more damaging if that's the term you prefer) when you mix alcohol with it. This is true for cocaine. This is true for amphetamine. This is true for methamphetamine. This is true for MDMA. Hell, it's even true for Sudafed.

2. Transitioning to a daily use paradigm.

3. Having unprotected sex and catching a sexually transmitted infection because you're high on meow meow.

That's about it.

Do you have anything to support what you're saying? Just because 5-HTP is laying around doesn't mean that it automatically converts to serotonin.
Perhaps you have simply forgotten that AADC is expressed in hepatocytes and is the reason for L-DOPA taken orally to have minimal effect centrally? First pass metabolism happens with 5-HTP taken orally just as with anything else.

Perhaps you have simply forgotten that AADC is expressed in hepatocytes and is the reason for L-DOPA taken orally to have minimal effect centrally? First pass metabolism happens with 5-HTP taken orally just as with anything else.

No, I'm saying it's used in a lot of other things in the body than just being converted to serotonin.

It's a potent antioxidant.

If patients taking L-Dopa have 1% reach the brain without AADC inhibitors why would you expect it to be much different for 5-HTP when its metabolized by the same hepatic enzyme. 50% of L-Dopa is metabolized to dopamine in the liver so I think its reasonable to expect that about 50% of oral 5-HTP is being converted to serotonin by the liver as well with 40% going to other processes no matter what those other processes are. Its called first pass metabolism because it comes before the other metabolic processes

That's a hell of a lot of serotonin to have floating around in the circulation for binding to 5-HT2B receptors