• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

4-MeO-PCP proposed as a rapid acting antidepressant for alcoholics (paper !!)

palmanita

Bluelighter
Just found that when I searched for MXE receptor screening:

Is methoxydine a new rapid acting antidepressant for the treatment of depression in alcoholics?

Methoxydine is a dissociative anaesthetic belonging to the arylcyclohexylamine class. This substance shows pharmacodynamic similarities with ketamine, a medication with demonstrated rapid-acting antidepressant effects. Like ketamine, results of binding assays have shown that methoxydine is an uncompetitive antagonist of NMDA receptor approximately as potent as ketamine, but less potent than PCP. Furthermore, unlike ketamine, it acts as a dopamine, serotonin, and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor as well as an agonist at sigma-1, sigma-2, and opioid receptors. The hypothesis is that methoxydine can produce rapid antidepressant effects in depressed patients with high risk of suicide, including depressed alcoholics.

So after promising Methoxetamine has been banned, the same autors are now thinking about 4-MeO-PCP ... in alcoholics ...?
While I feel that MXE has huge and somewhat unique potential here, it works when I failed to response to classical antidepressats and even ketamine. But really don't see use for the PCP derivates. Their sigma & NDRI affinity is just too much. Sernyl has been withdrawn for a reason. And in drug abusers (what alcoholics are) -- psychosis and people doing stupid things?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure another study said it had no opiate or dopamine activity. How is it so hard to know? I found 3-meo and 4-meo much less effective for depression than mxe and ketamine but it might be different for others.

Last edited: