View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

4-aco-DMT - adverse effects?

Fornax55

Bluelighter
I've been fascinated with this chemical since it's made its way into my life and upon doing some research I've found a number of 'studies' that claim it to be no more dangerous than psilocin due to the fact that psilocin in itself is fairly harmless, as are acetic acid and tryptamine based chemicals (though I don't claim to know shit about chemistry and how these structures are bonded or how that would alter their effects.)

Regardless, everyone says it's harmless. Last night I had an experience after doing about 20-25mg that didn't feel quite harmless. I had extreme difficulty falling asleep (and am unsure if I even managed to - I definitely had some dream-like visual experiences but I don't know if they could be classified as sleep. What I did have was a peculiar sensation that I'd never experienced before - I felt my mind open up as a physical space - almost as if new nervous pathways had opened up within the intangible parts of my mind. Each thought I had carried with it a distinct physical sensation and after a while the thoughts began to grow very distorted - and with each distortion came an unpleasant and nearly painful feeling of the thought being torn apart. This continued for some hours - crunching, grinding, tearing and ripping of these new physical thoughts that had developed in my mind.

That could all be chalked up to having excess tactile sensations, but along with this I was experiencing mild to moderate convulsions; my eyes would lock shut and muscle spasms would rack my body and I wouldn't be able to move at times for up to five seconds without allotting all of my energy towards breaking the seizure state. The initial experience could indeed be accredited to psychedelic sensations but this undoubtedly does not feel "harmless."

Thoughts?

5HT2A-Agonists ("classical psychedelics") are also stimulants in some way. Maybe you overdosed just a little bit...?

4-Aco-DMT ("Psilacetin") is to 4-HO-DMT ("Psilocin") like "1p-LSD" is to LSD ("LAD") - with a little bit of handwaving... ;)

Last edited:
Fornax55; I will attribute part of your experience to how your body metabolizes the drug. I don't tolerate 4-HO-DiPT.HCl very well and have muscle tremors for 4+hours; so I don't use that drug any more. How often have you tripped, and on what compounds? What kind of food had you consumed prior to this? Any other meds on board?

This drug just may not be for you. If you do try it gain, start at a lower level and see what happens (10 mgs was a good starting point for me).

What kind of effect do mushrooms have on you?

Tom

I've always had a lot of typical side effects with this one, but I can eat other 4-subbed trips all day no problem. Psilacetin was so rough I filed it away as being similar to 5-meo-amt on the body. Ymmv

Was the substance analyzed before consumption?
It is this state already affecting you 24 hours after the intake?
Did you have any other experiences with 4-AcO-DMT, mushrooms or any other psychedelics?

It looks to me like an anxiety-based problem, if that's true, all psychedelics can spontaneously create these kind of feelings, specially after intense experiences; but it could be an idiosyncratic reaction.

This one was the best for me. I was always a mushroom guy but after doing them 20 or 30 times, I would get extreme nausea which I never got before when taking them to the point that it would ruin a trip and be the sole focus. Brutal nausea.

I railed 15mg of 4-aco-dmt earlier today and it completely blew my mind. I was incapacitated for at least 3 hours - didn't know where I was, didn't know who I was, just completely inside of my mind exploring the realms of darkness in search of the clear light. Then when I came out of it, was like being reborn... the afterglow has been wild. I've been depressed lately, related to opiate abuse, related to chronic back pain. I came to so many insights about my life at the tail end of the trip, as I was howling to the moon while playing guitar on the lake.

Really had a blast with this substance. I have extreme anxiety / panic disorder so I had to take my usual benzo because I'm prone to anxiety from the overstimulation, but it didn't kill the trip at all, just helped me handle it with my mental illness.

NO nausea, IDENTICAL to some of my mushroom trips (not all of them, as they tend to be highly variable). But some of the stronger ones that I've had, just complete incapable of moving, apart from waving my arms in sync with visuals in my mind when none of it was real.

I'm still energized, unable to sleep. But this compound definitely has an antidepressant effect, not unlike shrooms. I wonder how long it will last, if I will be able to change my energy to a more positive outlook as opposed to a manic-depressive opiate addict. So far, so good. But will I be able to keep it up? That's always the challenge with an afterglow. Also, my chronic pain hasn't been a bother since I dosed which is unusual.

Wonderful closed eye and open eye visuals too. Astounding medicine.

Last edited:
Thomas - my experience with psychedelics is rather substantial. Have tripped enough on enough substances to not feel the necessity to list them all here, but we shall say I have experience. This could be chalked up to a particular action of some particular metabolite - I do take differing supplements (L-theanine, L-tyrosine, 5htp, B12 supplements) and generally over the last few weeks have had a fair few different substances in my body so I can't remember what might have been in my system at the time - though as far as I can remember it was solely the 4-aco. Perhaps a beer or two.

Actually, yes. On second thought, it was solely ACO because I remember doing it with a girl for her first time and I also had only taken the 4aco. Strange. Perhaps the other times I've taken it I've had either opiates or benzos in my systems which could have suppressed such convulsions? Who knows.

MrHH: Have definitely experienced 4-aco before and after this. As I mentioned above, my experience is fairly intensive. I love this chemical and will continue to - it jumped right to the top 5 of my list. I've never had an idiosyncratic reaction of this degree to anxiety from psychedelics - in fact usually my psychedelic anxiety results in extreme introversion and me leaving whatever area I'm in to go to the closest forest. If I don't have benzos or alcohol to combat the anxiety I will spend an entire trip in an anxious state but have never had convulsions (aside from the shudders I get on acid) but this night I felt left me FAR from anxious - good friend showed up, we laughed for a few hours, had some great sex and fell asleep in each other's arms - so I definitely wasn't anxious :p just convulsing. Hm.

My friend told me he had IV'd 45mg (which is absurd) and had convulsions and seizures all night, which wouldn't surprise me at such an insane dose. He, I'm fairly certain, was also chock-full of a lot of other substances as well... but I feel that sometimes 4-aco-dmt should just have this listed as a less-common side effect