• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom 3rd seizure on kratom

robotwars

Greenlighter
Just had my 3rd seizure in 20 years on kratom. Nothing else my in my system. Tests show nowing but they seem to be triggered by lethargy, anxiety, and panic. all happened 25-30 minutes after. I don't remember anything except up the EMS. 'm not saying kratom is super dangerous its very complex and IMO lowers the seizure threshold. All 3 were from 3 different sources. I'm going to taper mainly because of driving, and I ie made me lazy and dependent and the results are exceptionally unpredictable and I'm losing interest in lite and hobbies..

I've suspected it may lower seizure threshold just based on some side effects it gives me. I've had seizures before but never from kratom.

What kind of doses do you take? Any other factors going on?

Just had my 3rd seizure in 20 years on kratom. Nothing else my in my system. Tests show nowing but they seem to be triggered by lethargy, anxiety, and panic. all happened 25-30 minutes after. I don't remember anything except up the EMS. 'm not saying kratom is super dangerous its very complex and IMO lowers the seizure threshold. All 3 were from 3 different sources. I'm going to taper mainly because of driving, and I ie made me lazy and dependent and the results are exceptionally unpredictable and I'm losing interest in lite and hobbies..
I'm curious too.
I've only had seizures years ago during alcohol and benzo withdrawals. Been taking kratom for about 3 yrs now with no ill effects, but I am dependent for sure.
Please let us know if you learn any more medical info about what happened to you.

All opioids have proconvulsant potential (especially ones that activate the MOR, which is all commonly encountered opioids), though at low doses they have some anticonvulsant activity. So essentially any opioid at high dose will lower the seizure threshold.

While mitragynine doesn't activate the MOR all that strongly (which I guess is somewhat arguable) kratom has a bunch of yohimbine-like alkaloids which probably have a similar potential to lower seizure threshold. However my guess is that those that experience seizures from kratom are probably predisposed to them since reports or seizures are pretty rare. Might be a good sign to get off of. I found life eventually becomes pretty miserable whenever I've been hooked on a daily kratom habit,

Is it possibly due to DOR agonism? Afaik is DOR much more proconvulsant than MOR, which so far stopped any ligands from hitting the market. But it might of course also be MOR, this would give a possible explanation of some weird, psychotomimetic side effects I had with most if not all all stronger opioids but specially morphine and theorized it might be partial (locally limited) seizures happening. That said, I much likened bromadol/BDPC which is a putative DOR agonist and didn't get side effects from that.

kratom has a bunch of yohimbine-like alkaloids which probably have a similar potential to lower seizure threshold.
Thought these a2 ligands were of clonidine type, a2 agonists instead of antagonists like yohimbine. But of course it's possible that both variants are present among these roughly 40 active ingredients which are known as of today.

Could you elaborate?
I will elaborate why is it so in my case - fast onset of tolerance coupled with short duration of action leads to my whole day revolving around redosing every 3-4 hours just to not be sick. I start eating less as kratom negatively effects my digestion and cause of psychological fear that it will work poorly if my stomach is not at least half empty. As opioid effects fade I get more and more stimulative effects that in the end make me loose weight and disturb my sleep. So for me it is a tool I can use for few months and then need to get off. But that is just my experience and I have moderate to high opioid tolerance from past use and am not looking for the stimulative effects that kratom brings.

I share this sentiment. Kratom is definitely much less destructive in every way than everything else, but when I was taking 30g+ per day my life was shaped around the kratom completely.

It became a requirement for all recreation and leisure. I couldn't enjoy anything unless it was in that ~2 hour window after a kratom dose. Once that dose wore off I became depressed and unmotivated to do anything at all, both work and leisure wise.

Kratom is almost like the cocaine of opioids in a metaphorical sense...

fast onset of tolerance coupled with short duration of action leads to my whole day revolving around redosing
exactly, it almost made me "bipolar" in some way, constantly up and down all day, everything became a game revolving around the kratom doses

I'm really glad I'm pretty much off the stuff now, down to 2g per day.

Kratom is almost like the cocaine of opioids in a metaphorical sense...
Wow, you are somehow lucky to get such strong effects from kratom. Well, maybe my vendor wasn't so good but the stuff was roughly similar to what I got earlier from other vendors so I doubt it. I didn't get that two phasic stuff either (low doses energizing and high ones sedating). 5g were threshold, with 10-20 it was maxed out and even 30 didn't give me more effects besides that I couldn't stand to ingest that amount of powder.

I got bipolar from dissociatives. But that's another story.

Wow, you are somehow lucky to get such strong effects from kratom. Well, maybe my vendor wasn't so good but the stuff was roughly similar to what I got earlier from other vendors so I doubt it. I didn't get that two phasic stuff either (low doses energizing and high ones sedating). 5g were threshold, with 10-20 it was maxed out and even 30 didn't give me more effects besides that I couldn't stand to ingest that amount of powder.
well I was comparing it to cocaine very loosely, once tolerance sets in it's pretty subtle in comparison

mostly just comparing the up/down/up/down like cocaine

once you become dependent on kratom the effects really only last about 90-120 minutes

I did, however, find a brand of kratom that is very potent, at least 30-40% more potent than all other brands... but I'm quite sure they add extract to it

...fast onset of tolerance coupled with short duration of action leads to my whole day revolving around redosing every 3-4 hours...
...I couldn't enjoy anything unless it was in that ~2 hour window after a kratom dose. Once that dose wore off I became depressed and unmotivated to do anything at all...
OK, I can definitely relate to that. I've recently come to realize that I need to taper down to a much lower dosage or maybe try to get off kratom completely for a while.

The problem is that my job is physically demanding for an old pain-ridden fart like me. Like with all addictions I find myself thinking I really need to cut down...next week.
Of course, it's always next week but not right now.

Thanks, y'all, for giving me a nudge in the right direction.

Never had a seizure from anything....as to Kratom induced seizure-it's amaze me indeed...but obviously could happen sometimes at certain people.After all is good alternative for street drugs..even pharma products

Is it possibly due to DOR agonism? Afaik is DOR much more proconvulsant than MOR, which so far stopped any ligands from hitting the market. But it might of course also be MOR, this would give a possible explanation of some weird, psychotomimetic side effects I had with most if not all all stronger opioids but specially morphine and theorized it might be partial (locally limited) seizures happening. That said, I much likened bromadol/BDPC which is a putative DOR agonist and didn't get side effects from that.

Thought these a2 ligands were of clonidine type, a2 agonists instead of antagonists like yohimbine. But of course it's possible that both variants are present among these roughly 40 active ingredients which are known as of today.

Kratom has a handful of very close relatives to yohimbine, some of them adrenergic agonists and others antagonists (like corynanthine etc). But the bigger analogy is the general promiscuity that these yohimbine-like alkaloids have for adrenergic, serotonin, dopamine, NMDA receptors etc. Thus a complicated side-effect profile.

Don't think kratom activates the DOR much (or perhaps at all).