• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

3.5 weeks with zero alcohol or benzo's. Tolerance back to baseline?

Memantine

Bluelighter
After a temazepam/alprazolam/alcohol (it was 60mg temazepam, 5 beers and 0.5mg xanax) binge I decided to quit GABAergics for a while because I missed the nice euphoria I got from a low dose of temazepam.

So I'm "clean" for 3.5 weeks now. I experienced no withdrawal symptoms. In this period I did use some pregabaline, dxm and hydroxyzine on occasion.

Is it likely that I get the same effects from a 20mg temazepam now as I did the first time I used it?

That's a question only you can answer by trying it...
But tolerance to GABAergics seems to take ages to drop and some say you'll never be back to baseline.

in my experience with xanax, even after 5 months of no use (after heavy binges on it) i still don't even feel 1mg. so my guess is no but as the PP stated, only you can answer this

By 60mg Temazepam, 5 beers and 0.5mg xanax do you mean it as a total of the binge or what you took everyday throughout the binge?

If its what you took everyday throughout the binge then 3.5 weeks won't be enough, 60mg Temazepam equals 3mg Xanax plus the 0.5 Xanax and the beers its quite a lot. I would advise staying off benzos for another 2 weeks in order to restore your tolerance to "baseline"

In addition if you want to maintain a low tolerance I would just avoid binges all together. Stick to once or twice a month and take 2-3 months a year to steer away from benzos, thats what I usually do in order to keep a low tolerance. But I guess its different for everyone.

No not everyday. But at first I was satisfied with just 20mg temazepam. But this slowly progressed (dosing just 1-2 times a week) to the dose I described, because of tolerance.

No not everyday. But at first I was satisfied with just 20mg temazepam. But this slowly progressed (dosing just 1-2 times a week) to the dose I described, because of tolerance.
how long were you doing this 1-2 times per week? if it's for months than you'll need a significant length of time with zero gaba drugs for you to return to a lower tolerance in my experience.

Kindling due to substance withdrawal refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative-hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines. Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal syndrome. Individuals who have had more withdrawal episodes are at an increased risk of very severe withdrawal symptoms, up to and including seizures. Withdrawal from GABAergic acting sedative-hypnotic drugs causes acute GABA-underactivity as well as glutamate overactivity which can lead to sensitization and hyper-excitability of the central nervous system, excito-neurotoxicity, and increasingly profound neuroadaptions.

If you're not familiar with the "Kindling Effect", you can read about it on Wikipedia (Where I got the above quoted explanation). I've experienced it myself after going through multiple periods of high-volume alcohol withdrawal. My consumption tends to increase each time I relapse and the withdrawal gets worse and requires less drinking timeto set in. I know it's not totally related to the original question, I just think it's useful information for anyone who's a chronic user of sedatives, including alcohol.