• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol 2M2B - 2-methyl-2-butanol & Synthetic Alcohols Megathread

haydennn

Greenlighter
OP: "So I get home after a day with my friends and realise the postman has a been a nice chap and delivered me a grey package. Open it and it is the sample of 2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B herein) I ordered.

After a bit of research I've been doin' I realised its potentially carcinogenic and incredibly potent (35x more potent than alcohol infact).

I am yet to open the vial which contains 10ml and I was wondering if anyone has taken it and if it is worth doin' so?"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Info taken from psychonautwiki.org

Class Membership
Common names2M2B, 2-methyl-2-butanol
Substitutive name2-methyl-2-butanol
Systematic name2-methylbutan-2-ol
Psychoactive classDepressant
Chemical classAlcohol

Oral
Dosage
Duration
Threshold0.5 mL
Light1 - 5 mL
Common5 - 10 mL
Strong10 - 15 mL
Heavy15 mL +There have been unconsciousness and deaths reported at as low as 18 mL respective 29 mL.[2]
Total8 - 14 hours
Onset10 - 50 minutes
Peak6 - 8 hours
Offset4 - 6 hours
After effects4 hours

Toxicity and harm potential​

The toxicity and long-term health effects of recreational 2M2B use do not seem to have been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dosage is unknown although the lowest recorded fatal dose in a human is 30mL. However, 2M2B is expected to be less toxic than ethanol as it cannot be metabolized into aldehydes in the same way. Anecdotal evidence from people who have tried 2M2B within the community suggest that there do not seem to be any negative health effects attributed to simply trying this drug at low to moderate doses by itself and using it sparingly (but nothing can be completely guaranteed).

It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance.

Pharmacology​

2-Methyl-2-butanol inhibits binding to a proconvulsant site on the GABA receptor which causes negatively charged chloride ions to enter neurons and increase the amount of excitation necessary to cause the neurons to fire. As it is a tertiary alcohol, it cannot be metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase into aldehydes (which cause the hangover associated with consuming large amounts of ethanol). This makes 2M2B significantly safer than primary alcohols. However, a consequence of this is that 2-methyl-2-butanol has an extended duration of action with effects which last up to 12 hours after its consumption.

- @deficiT

Last edited by a moderator:
holy shit, jc being helpful?

Anyway, what he said... I'm going to lock this up, if you feel like it should be reopened, PM me and let me know hwy.

I ordered some 2-methyl-2-butanol 2M2B and got an interesting package. The package contains the bottle of 2M2B, but there is a lot of weird green/gold chemical on the inside of the bag and I have no idea what it is. It almost looks like someone put gold in it :) I haven't opened the bag yet because of how it looks, but I really want to try it. The fluid inside the bottle looks clean, so whatever is in the bag, I don't think got into the bottle.

Here is a picture: http://imageshack.us/a/img193/9760/0927122030.jpg

vermiculite.jpg

It's vermiculite, a porous form of mica designed to soak up chemicals if the bottle breaks. Chemical companies usually ship bottles of even slightly hazardous chemicals in bags of it.

It's nontoxic and can be disposed of in garbage (or mixed into soil as a moisture retainer). Won't hurt you.

Can 2-methyl-2-butanol be stored in a plastic bottle or will it slowly dissolve the plastic? It can be a very good solvent so I'm afraid of it dissolving. I believe the type of plastic is polyethylene if it matters.

With a dubiously sourced quantitiy of 2M2B, how would one, other than gas spec., be able to determine the presence of actual tert amyl alcohol in the product if there was any doubt as to its true chemical makeup? Are there simple 1-2 step reactions that characterize the compound that I could identify with litmus or with some other obvservable phenomena? The only things that come to mind are measuring its boiling point with a food thermometer and its density with a hydrometer. I know this is a long shot of a question but any ideas are greatly welcomed, thanks comrades.

I read somewhere that 2-methyl-2-butanol does dissolve plastic. I don't know if it'll dissolve plastic when diluted in juice. It might, it might not. It was about the chemical properties of 2-methyl-2-butanol. I can't really believe the freezing point is -12 celsius.

2m2b will soften some plastics when neat (polycarbonate) but should be OK to store in HDPE, LDPE bottles, or as a solution in water.

Off topic: I don't know much about the caustic effects of 2M2B, but it always surprises me to see college kids store 30-40% ethanol (vodka, rum, etc.), in simple polyethylene water bottles for long periods of time. It's one thing to sneak "water" in to a club, but storing it there? :\ Ethanol is a solvent after all.

So I can't get 2m2b anymore because all the suppliers ship to businesses only (and Im not ok with < 98% ). So I've been reading a bit about Soma and it sounds similar. How similar is it? Has anymore tried both?

Right now I can only get 2m2b from a supplier that has 97% purity GC verified. Is this too low a purity to be safe? Based on some research, I'm assuming most of the impurities are water and esters. Do I need the 99% purity or are the esters not really toxic?

It depends on what the other 3% is.

Amylene and the esters of 2m2b should be fine

Amylene and the esters of 2m2b should be fine

So most likely that's all it is, right?

If I can get them to send me a GC report, can I post it here or have you look at it and tell me what it means?

a 3% impurity is nothing. You'd be VERY hard pressed to find an illicit chemical with a higher purity. If you took a 100mg dose that means you're getting a 3mg dose of whatever is left.. even if it is toxic, those amounts are likely to do little to nothing.

The bigger concern would be if your vendor (dealer) is lying to you or not. I don't even think GC/MS machines can accurately tell the purity levels.

I don't even think GC/MS machines can accurately tell the purity levels.

They can, you just need to calibrate them with a known standard (because the amount of compound ionised, and thereby the detector response per milligram in the MS depends on the structure). Otherwise, without calibration, it will simply tell you the identity & approximate percentage of the volatile components (# of compound ions counted / total # of ions, which is good enough for most people).

It can't directly "see" the presence of stuff like water or salts very well, but it can tell you that your 10mg sample contains only 8 mg of volatile compounds.

For doing analysis of mixtures you really need to talk to the analyst who runs your sample and have them look at the data. Most GCMS reports, to save on paper, are just the TIC trace (the diagram with all the peaks representing the compounds) and a percent area breakdown. You have to specifically ask to get a report that has the MS identity of every peak.

It is very easy to lie about running things on GC though. Make sure to get a copy of the data file ;)

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the information :)

I was wondering how you could detect unknown compounds such as impurities, makes MUCH more sense that you would be able to know there is something else in there without actually knowing what it was.

a 3% impurity is nothing. You'd be VERY hard pressed to find an illicit chemical with a higher purity. If you took a 100mg dose that means you're getting a 3mg dose of whatever is left.. even if it is toxic, those amounts are likely to do little to nothing.

The bigger concern would be if your vendor (dealer) is lying to you or not. I don't even think GC/MS machines can accurately tell the purity levels.

I see what your saying. Normally I'd consider 97% pretty good, but when the dose is in the grams rather than milligrams, the toxicity of the impurities seems more important (dose for 2m2b is about 3-8ml).

They probably aren't lying because they are a professional chemical supply company, not an RC vendor. AFAIK the only supplier that will ship to individuals. I think I'll get it, should be better than from an RC vendor even though it's not 99%.

Thanks for the info on GC. I'll try to get the data file ;)

Last edited: