Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

2CB Fail

waffle-head

Bluelighter
Hi

I took standard 20mg reputable 2CB last night and nothing happened.
I take duloxetine (60mg). Do you think the med killed the 2CB?

Now, if so, do you think taking more 2CB will combat this problem or just be a waste of money?

Duloxetine, being a SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine-reuptake-inhibitor), which you probably know, (it stops serotonin and adrenaline from breaking down too quick) is going to dampen psychedelic effects.
I never recommend tripping while on prescription meds to anyone, so I'd wait a week or two for the med to wear off and then trip, or if you must trip while prescribed SNRI, it would require a bigger dosage.

Thanks. F**cking meds, haha. I've got a mahooosive lsd blotter coming. I'm hoping it's going to help.

Just be sure to confirm it is in fact LSD before you go ramping up dosage to combat meds :)

Duloxetine, being a SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine-reuptake-inhibitor)

Duloxetine is an SNRI, correct, and yes, it will dampen the effects of psychs.

(it stops serotonin and adrenaline from breaking down too quick)

An SNRI prevents your neurons from rapidly sucking released serotonin and noradrenaline back in via the respective transporter proteins.
What you are describing (preventing the breakdown of neurotransmitters) is what a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) does. Unlike reuptake inhibitors, MAOIs greatly potentiante many psychs (LSD being a notable exception), sometimes to a potentially life-threatening extent. Combining serotonin releasing agents (like MDMA, Mephedrone or AMT) and MAOIs is even more dangerous.

An SNRI prevents your neurons from rapidly sucking released serotonin and noradrenaline back in via the respective transporter proteins.
What you are describing (preventing the breakdown of neurotransmitters) is what a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) does. Unlike reuptake inhibitors, MAOIs greatly potentiante many psychs (LSD being a notable exception), sometimes to a potentially life-threatening extent. Combining serotonin releasing agents (like MDMA, Mephedrone or AMT) and MAOIs is even more dangerous.
^^^ thank you for the correction Hodor.

I have to go above 30mg for it to do much.

So apart from the SNRI as discussed above, 2cb is also commonly available in various salt forms although I believe hbr is most common. This will add weight as opposed to the freebase, and if you are referencing PIHKAL or erowid you're probably seeing freebase doses. So even though 20mg of freebase might be pretty good, it'll take more of any salt form to reach the same place. The upside of this is that salts are more stable and less likely to degrade.

Actually freebase phenethylamines are generally volatile oils, PIHKAL lists 2C-B HBr doses. You won't ever find 2C-B in freebase form. Tryptamines exist as crystals in freebase form (and are indeed much less stable) but phenethylamines do not.

You can't necessarily just stop your medication to let it clear your system, as SSRIs/SNRIs generally cause pretty severe withdrawals.

What makes you think that the doses are hbr? When reading the synthesis Shulgin makes it very clear that the HBr salt is not suited for isolation and characterization. Following the synthesis it becomes clear to me how dirty Shulgins HBr salt was and why he needed to go to the HCl.

This also sums up my reservations about the HBr salt on the market; Shulgin was not able to clean it and the people working for the Mafia have no incentive to do so. So you probably get a really dirty product.

From PIHKAL, in the section where he describes the synthesis:

Shulgin said:
There was an immediate formation of the anhydrous salt of 2,5-dimethoxy-4-bromophenethylamine hydrochloride (2C-B). This mass of crystals was removed by filtration (it can be loosened considerably by the addition of another 60 mL H2O), washed with a little H2O, and then with several 50 mL portions of Et2O. When completely air-dry, there was obtained 31.05 g of fine white needles, with a mp of 237-239 °C with decomposition. When there is too much H2O present at the time of adding the final concentrated HCl, a hydrated form of 2C-B is obtained. The hydrobromide salt melts at 214.5-215 °C. The acetate salt was reported to have a mp of 208-209 °C.

Hmm, I read this as HBr but I think I read it too quickly. Regardless it does specify that a salt was form (anhydrous salt, so the particular kind was not specified). He mentions HBr and acetate salt melting points. It could be another salt besides HBr, but to my knowledge it definitely would not be the freebase, because phenethylamine freebases are not solids, but rather caustic, volatile oils. I can't remember when that got in my head but I believe it was from discussions on here years back. So if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Thanks for the correction. The only chemistry knowledge I have is from bluelight.

Xorkoth, I will try to explain this. I read a lot of these manuals in my life, Shulgin's are not the best but they do their purpose ;)

After he made 2C-H, Shulgin starts the bromation:

To a well-stirred solution of 24.8 g 2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine in 40 mL glacial acetic acid, there was added 22 g elemental bromine dissolved in 40 mL acetic acid. After a couple of min, there was the formation of solids and the simultaneous evolution of considerable heat. The reaction mixture was allowed to return to room temperature, filtered, and the solids washed sparingly with cold acetic acid.
Then he describes the product:
This was the hydrobromide salt. There are many complicated salt forms, both polymorphs and hydrates, that can make the isolation and characterization of 2C-B treacherous. The happiest route is to form the insoluble hydrochloride salt by way of the free base.
Shulgin writes that isolation is treacherous, thus he could not purify it properly or it was very hard to do. What follows is a very simple procedure every chemistry student in Germany has done in his 2nd year ;) He converts the HBr to freebase, performs a distillation to purify it and converts it to the HCl salt, which is nice and shiny:
The entire mass of acetic acid-wet salt was dissolved in warm H2O, made basic to at least pH 11 with 25% NaOH, and extracted with 3x100 mL CH2Cl2. Removal of the solvent gave 33.7 g of residue which was distilled at 115-130 °C at 0.4 mm/Hg. The white oil, 27.6 g, was dissolved in 50 mL H2O containing 7.0 g acetic acid. This clear solution was vigorous stirred, and treated with 20 mL concentrated HCl. There was an immediate formation of the anhydrous salt of 2,5-dimethoxy-4-bromophenethylamine hydrochloride (2C-B).
Please note that before distillation he had 33.7 g and he obtained 27.6 g freebase from it. This gives you a best case estimate of how dirty the HBr salts on the black market will be. Never better than 80%, most likely containing very nasty shit.
As Shulgin converted everything to the HCl salt, I would assume that he used that salt for his trials. It is not given explicitly but I guess otherwise he would have stated.

Hope this helps, also not to buy HBr salt or 2C-B pills anymore ;)

Last edited:
20mg is fairly light but you should've felt something from it, probably the meds canceled it out. I took like 30mg once and tripped pretty hard, and I've heard threshold is somewhere in the range of 5-10

Xorkoth, I will try to explain this. I read a lot of these manuals in my life, Shulgin's are not the best but they do their purpose ;)

After he made 2C-H, Shulgin starts the bromation:

Then he describes the product:

Shulgin writes that isolation is treacherous, thus he could not purify it properly or it was very hard to do. What follows is a very simple procedure every chemistry student in Germany has done in his 2nd year ;) He converts the HBr to freebase, performs a distillation to purify it and converts it to the HCl salt, which is nice and shiny:

Please note that before distillation he had 33.7 g and he obtained 27.6 g freebase from it. This gives you a best case estimate of how dirty the HBr salts on the black market will be. Never better than 80%, most likely containing very nasty shit.
As Shulgin converted everything to the HCl salt, I would assume that he used that salt for his trials. It is not given explicitly but I guess otherwise he would have stated.

Hope this helps, also not to buy HBr salt or 2C-B pills anymore ;)

Wow this is very interesting. I always get my 2cb HBr from a pretty reputable source, and its much cheaper than the HCl a lot of others have available.
EDIT: found this? https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/2cb.bromination.html

Last edited: