• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

21st century marijuana potency

Broken74

Bluelighter
Is it just me or is pot WAY WAY stronger these days???

I'll just start by saying I was born in the mid 70s and and my pot use days were through late 80's and early 90's.

I smoked daily, had some connections with major players back then for being so young. I started at 14 yr old. I was always known for being a great listener and taking secrets to my grave, so I guess the older players felt they could trust me, which they could. 100. Anyhow, back THEN we had the best of the best. Anyone in the "smoking" circle knew if they wanted good smoke in my area, there were only 2 dealers you could count on. Everyone raved about their smoke. I smoked weed non stop through out every day. I remember my suede jacket always smelling like weed bcuz I wore that thing everywhere and it just absorbed the aroma. Anyhow, I quit when I became pregnant. Thought I would go back to it after, but I had no real desire after being away so long.

Now, as an adult in my 40s, I have been offered several times. Typically I decline, I realy never understood why it was illegal, but it just didn't peak my interest anymore. But on the occasion that it has, I've tried smoke less than a handful of times. Never even more than 2 hits, sometimes only 1....but everytime it land blasts me. I'm like wtf are they putting in the pot these days!? It's not even the same high. But I go from giggly and laughing prior to smoking, then...BLAMM....instant comatose.

Has my tolerance diminished much that I can't handle it?? I swear its not the same. Tried a hit with my older brother once a few months back, he's been out of that scene too... and we were both like what in the actual fuck!!!couldn't even communicate!

So I'm starting this thread... old school smokers please chime in. Idk what happened along the way, but somebody has gone and put drugs in the drugs!

On average pot is better. Good weed back in the day was still well grown weed today. Genetic crossbreeding has resulted in new spectrums of highs. Different THC/CBD ratios are one way weed can change, but the terps matter as well more than just flavour.

Concentrates most certainly on are a who new level.

Also noticed the sticky factor. Tried to hone in on my mad rolling skills (use it or lose it!)... it proved difficult to break up with the sticky factor.

I guess it's that cross breeding factor. I can't smoke that shit anymore, lol. Weed is hardcore now.

I was also born mid 70s, also previously an all day every day smoker, mainly of hash.

My experience has been exactly the same as yours. It's not 'better', it's a totally different drug. The high is speedy, emotional, then comatose. I think store bought pot has a little something extra added. All the 'dream' strains seem to be trippy. Green crack, jet fuel almost killed me with heart symptoms and a total emotional breakdown.

They are definitely putting drugs in our drugs.

I cannot smoke anymore. I'm tempted by a friend's homegrown, but I just don't dare.

I'm no drug lightweight, just for context. Ill happily do a little crank, oxy. I'm recovered from a drink and opiate habit, and just chip nowadays. But pot. No way. I'd rather smoke crack.

I've xperienced racing heart also. It's just crazy. I smoked back in the day to chill and mellow out, maybe play some video games and get the munchies. Now if I try it, my paranoia and dumbing effect takes over.

I witnessed a guy take a hit from a bong they called the punisher. One hit . Immediately vomited.

First tried pot in 1975. Got absolutely wrecked on 1/3 joint of something. Flash forward to 2016 and I've had one green out/tightywhitey this year. Concentrates are stronger, obviously. But edibles. I got a brownie from my cousin in 1976 and it put me to sleep. Still does..

Is weed stronger? Yeah, it is. Am I getting higher? No - I use less to get where I want to be. And I'm using medically, so the 'high' factor diminishes a bit.

I've puked on weed. Last time was Nov/13 when I had some Chemo Kush I got from a relative. I didn't follow the 'start low, go slow' mantra and paid the price.

And it's probably going to happen again.

Tom

Tried to hone in on my mad rolling skills (use it or lose it!)... it proved difficult to break up with the sticky factor.

heard this herb too strong theory a few times and it always seems to come from people hell-bent on smoking joints. a joint is quite a lot of green, when you're dealing with sticky nugs 20%+ THC then even a pinch is enough to send you to the moon, a joint is like 4-5x the max needed dosage.

Yeah weed is definitely stronger these days ...But also tolerance is in play here I think. I smoked every day and have done so for ~20 years, I had a break from cannabis for about three months earlier this year. I then smoked a tiny amount of shit hash and the effect was rather overwhelming ...

Now I can smoke 100mg shatter in one go and it's nowhere near enough..

The weed these days is just stronger, it's not got extra additives (unless you're very unlucky) so all you need to do is smoke less!!

Last edited:
I've often thought about the changes weeds gone through, even over just 15 years of smoking, it's changed a fair bit.

When I first started smoking, around 2002, the quality was very hit and miss. There was a lot of indica dominant bud, that wasn't grown to its full potential, earthy and a lot of the time tasteless. High grade stuff was still everywhere, but it wasn't all sativa.

In the UK these days the market is flooded with haze and cheese crosses, which have very high THC and almost no CBD. I strongly feel this is the cause of the rise in panic attacks and people acting crazy etc....

Try some indica, or a CBD strain with a 50:50 THC:CBD ratio. The best thing about the modern weed scene is the variety ;)

Salutations,

Is it just me or is pot WAY WAY stronger these days???

IMO a more pressing concern should focuss on the consumption method, thinking if Canada is to lead planetary "legaleezation" in 2019 at the United Nations maybe this is what's coming next:

fwhoqt.jpg

E.G. personalized GMO-based spectrum profiles printed on a polyimide substrate for top-notch micro-dosage and more...

Anyone in the "smoking" circle knew... ... ...instant comatose...

I'd wonder if anyone realized it's more likely the "harm" of cannabis never came from the substance itself while bigot anti-cannabic prohibition contributed to make that even worse...

Good day, have fun!! =D

Once Florida gets medical, you might consider cannabis with a 1:1 CBD:THC ratio. You'll find it feels a lot more like weed used to in the 70s and 80s. The CBD balances the psychoactive effect of the THC and provides a more uplifting "positive wellbeing" high.

Once Florida gets medical, you might consider cannabis with a 1:1 CBD:THC ratio. You'll find it feels a lot more like weed used to in the 70s and 80s. The CBD balances the psychoactive effect of the THC and provides a more uplifting "positive wellbeing" high.

Now that I might try

What happened to my heart on jet fuel was no panic attack. I've had chest pain ever since. My heart was going way too fast, then skipped beats. I stood bolt upright, and just started at my old man, begging for help.

No speed, meth or crack ever hurt me like that.

I've not been right since. Pot was an all day every day mild relaxing buzz. Ill never risk it again. It's just not the same drug.

What happened to my heart on jet fuel was no panic attack. I've had chest pain ever since. My heart was going way too fast, then skipped beats. I stood bolt upright, and just started at my old man, begging for help.

No speed, meth or crack ever hurt me like that.

I've not been right since. Pot was an all day every day mild relaxing buzz. Ill never risk it again. It's just not the same drug.

Damn, did u go see a cardiologist? Still having pains is no bueno

No, I don't do doctor's. I figure if my time is up, then that's ok.

My heart felt like cardboard for ages, now just chest pains.

It's not even a junk drug, in my opinion. Gold paint didn't screw me up like store bought pot.

No bueno...?...been a while since I heard that. Glad the pot didn't hurt you like it did me, broken.

Salutations,

M'well i thought that would be a thread about "potency"... Not exactly about it's more "dangerous" than it used to be.

Obviously to me there's also the matter of consumption method that is worth equal attention.

Good day, have fun!! =D

That was the intent, I was asking the question for an educated and experienced answer, seems like it was on topic..I personally don't have those numbers so my input was just based on what the OP contained to see if anyone felt the same and what changed with weed. Basically it sounds like weed "get up"..haha. 1:1 CBD/THC ratio might be more what I'm used to...I'm guessing it would be labeled this was at dispensaries? I should have no problem getting a script with my back n neck injuries.

It's not just better it's far better. The pot these days has 2-4x the THC concentration of weed from 20-30 years ago. It isn't uncommon to find weed these days that is 20 or even 30% THC. In the past, the "good stuff" would have been around 7% or so. The "not so good" stuff could have been 3-4% THC. Of course, people smoked proportionately more of it. However, the weed nowadays just has a better quality/vibe to it. It's trippier and more interesting, regardless of how much you smoke. I can't exactly describe it. The difference between middies and good stuff goes beyond just THC percentages, the good stuff is more spiritual, philosophical, and an all around more interesting high. It's also much easier to get stupidly baked out of your mind and laughing at everything than it was with the weed of the past.

Even 40, 50, 100, or even in ancient times, yeah there was good weed around..... it's just that it wasn't easy to find. Until now, there have been relatively few growers that paid close enough attention to quality for the stuff to really be anything to write home about. In the past, the 'good weed' had a higher THC percentage but rarely exceeded 10% and it just didn't have the trippy vibe of modern day weed...... though there were always a few growers that paid close attention to quality and produced something that was comparable to what is available today. Still, if you were famous and/or had access to exceptionally good connections, it was always possible to get weed that was of the same quality that there is today. The plant itself hasn't changed in the past 20-30 years of course, just that people have begun to paying more attention to how to grow it right.

Last edited: